U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 05-10-2012, 06:43 PM
 
Location: Bethesda
2,696 posts, read 3,954,833 times
Reputation: 1100
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryuji View Post
I thought it was easier to get working visa in Japan than in the US, permanent residence visa as well.

According to this page, only 279 applicants for Japanese citizenship out of 11008 were rejected last year.

How hard is it to get citizenship in the US?
11k is a pitifully low number, and incomparable to citizenship rates in the US. Correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't Japanese ancestry required for citizenship? I'd imagine that 99% of those 11k are ethnically Japanese.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 05-10-2012, 07:15 PM
 
Location: Brisbane
2,423 posts, read 2,170,371 times
Reputation: 1914
Quote:
Originally Posted by destinedtodave View Post
11k is a pitifully low number, and incomparable to citizenship rates in the US. Correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't Japanese ancestry required for citizenship? I'd imagine that 99% of those 11k are ethnically Japanese.
Ill say, hear we accepted very close to 100,000 forigners as new citizens last year. From a population base that is about 18% of Japans.

To become an immigrant nation there needs to be a big cultural shift in Japan, I dont think its going to happen. Large scale immigration may not be a good thing for japan either, given how crowded the country already is.

Last edited by danielsa1775; 05-10-2012 at 07:28 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-10-2012, 07:35 PM
 
Location: The western periphery of Terra Australis
24,693 posts, read 15,776,107 times
Reputation: 11862
Quote:
Originally Posted by irman View Post
That means what ... ?
In Tokyo, everybody is on top of each other, or there are hardly any people in Canada ???

I heard another similar *huh ... ?* thing about the *fact* that you could put all the people in the USA in Texas and still not feel crowded ...

Is it true that there are more Italians in NYC then there are in Italy ?

Back to Japanese being *overrun* by immigrants, in the future maybe ...
I doubt that they will ever have the similar situation the USA is trying to deal with, where so many come in *illegally* or *overstay* their welcome.

Really, Japan is an big island, where you just cannot walk across a border to get in , or ?
They probably meant Rome, not Italy. Italy is a nation of 60 million people, 3 times the size of the Tri-State area.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-10-2012, 09:40 PM
 
Location: God's Gift to Mankind for flying anything
3,279 posts, read 4,267,293 times
Reputation: 2086
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trimac20 View Post
They probably meant Rome, not Italy. Italy is a nation of 60 million people, 3 times the size of the Tri-State area.
Maybe that was it !!
Thanks Trimac.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-10-2012, 10:14 PM
 
Location: Brisbane
2,423 posts, read 2,170,371 times
Reputation: 1914
Quote:
Originally Posted by Houston3 View Post
South Koreans start taking english in grade school and probably speak better english then you write english....
I would have to disagre with that statement.

Koreans do study english very hard at school, (my wifes knowldged of english grammar is wayyyyyyy better than mine) but the average Korean rarely use the langauge in practice. A lot of the students we take on can speak no more than a couple or words of heavily accented english when they get off the plane.

Last edited by danielsa1775; 05-10-2012 at 10:33 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-10-2012, 10:39 PM
 
Location: US Empire, Pac NW
4,967 posts, read 5,836,264 times
Reputation: 4020
Most Japanese don't want more foreigners because they value their ethnic and historical heritage, unlike most Western countries.

I wonder how long it will take Europe to realize that they're going down a road of ethnic and cultural oblivion. When the majority of people are Muslim, their courts overrun by sharia law, honor killings start happening and are accepted, and tithing of non-Muslims happens? Bet your bones it will happen in the next 15 years.

By then it will be too late.

Japan is taking the right road. Only in the Americas can you say you have a melting pot because well ... we are. We don't have thousands of years of history behind us, unless you're a native American.

Sure an aging population presents problems, but not insurmountable ones. Entire industries catering to the elderly are popping up and large corporations are moving abroad to keep growing. Yes, small towns will disappear. But that's not necessarily a bad thing. It's happening in the USA for christ's sake. The country is evolving beyond an agrarian and stationary past.

That's big steps forward for a country that until the mid 1800s had totally shut out the world for centuries. Did you know the Dutch and Portuguese had originally eyed Japan for colonization? The Japanese rightfully kicked them out and shut out the world for centuries because they knew their culture and history would be supplanted if they let them in to roam freely.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-11-2012, 01:49 AM
 
Location: The western periphery of Terra Australis
24,693 posts, read 15,776,107 times
Reputation: 11862
Quote:
Originally Posted by eskercurve View Post
Most Japanese don't want more foreigners because they value their ethnic and historical heritage, unlike most Western countries.

I wonder how long it will take Europe to realize that they're going down a road of ethnic and cultural oblivion. When the majority of people are Muslim, their courts overrun by sharia law, honor killings start happening and are accepted, and tithing of non-Muslims happens? Bet your bones it will happen in the next 15 years.

By then it will be too late.

Japan is taking the right road. Only in the Americas can you say you have a melting pot because well ... we are. We don't have thousands of years of history behind us, unless you're a native American.

Sure an aging population presents problems, but not insurmountable ones. Entire industries catering to the elderly are popping up and large corporations are moving abroad to keep growing. Yes, small towns will disappear. But that's not necessarily a bad thing. It's happening in the USA for christ's sake. The country is evolving beyond an agrarian and stationary past.

That's big steps forward for a country that until the mid 1800s had totally shut out the world for centuries. Did you know the Dutch and Portuguese had originally eyed Japan for colonization? The Japanese rightfully kicked them out and shut out the world for centuries because they knew their culture and history would be supplanted if they let them in to roam freely.
I agree, Europe has a right to maintain it's cultural integrity. White people can have pride without being labelled as racists or white supremacists. I hope all those reports we see about them favouring Muslims over Christians in the UK is just sensationalism. France, while it has a lot of migrants, at least isn't letting them get their way...although things like banning of headscarves is a bit much.

Japanese probably take it to too great an extreme - they cut themselves off from the world for about 400 years, and are one of the most isolated societies on earth.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-11-2012, 01:50 AM
 
Location: The western periphery of Terra Australis
24,693 posts, read 15,776,107 times
Reputation: 11862
Quote:
Originally Posted by eskercurve View Post
Most Japanese don't want more foreigners because they value their ethnic and historical heritage, unlike most Western countries.

I wonder how long it will take Europe to realize that they're going down a road of ethnic and cultural oblivion. When the majority of people are Muslim, their courts overrun by sharia law, honor killings start happening and are accepted, and tithing of non-Muslims happens? Bet your bones it will happen in the next 15 years.

By then it will be too late.

Japan is taking the right road. Only in the Americas can you say you have a melting pot because well ... we are. We don't have thousands of years of history behind us, unless you're a native American.

Sure an aging population presents problems, but not insurmountable ones. Entire industries catering to the elderly are popping up and large corporations are moving abroad to keep growing. Yes, small towns will disappear. But that's not necessarily a bad thing. It's happening in the USA for christ's sake. The country is evolving beyond an agrarian and stationary past.

That's big steps forward for a country that until the mid 1800s had totally shut out the world for centuries. Did you know the Dutch and Portuguese had originally eyed Japan for colonization? The Japanese rightfully kicked them out and shut out the world for centuries because they knew their culture and history would be supplanted if they let them in to roam freely.
Colonialism didn't really supplant much of the culture in the Old World colonies. India is still very Indian, Indonesia is still very Indonesian, the Congo is still very African.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-11-2012, 04:31 AM
 
212 posts, read 121,541 times
Reputation: 101
Quote:
Originally Posted by destinedtodave View Post
Correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't Japanese ancestry required for citizenship? I'd imagine that 99% of those 11k are ethnically Japanese.
No, that's not required. 5656 Koreans, 3259 Chinese and 1444 others have obtained Japanese citizenship last year, according to the page I introduced.

Here is an example: 7 die in Kanetsu Expressway bus accident : National : DAILY YOMIURI ONLINE (The Daily Yomiuri)

The bus driver, who came from China to Japan Dec, 1999 and obtained Japanese citizenship the next year, still can't speak Japanese well.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-11-2012, 06:54 AM
 
Location: US Empire, Pac NW
4,967 posts, read 5,836,264 times
Reputation: 4020
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trimac20 View Post
Colonialism didn't really supplant much of the culture in the Old World colonies. India is still very Indian, Indonesia is still very Indonesian, the Congo is still very African.
I'm sure you overlooked the Americas when you were postulating this. And the Japanese are competitive, so they adopted western technology and cultural tones after Perry came. And the Portuguese and Dutch made it abundantly clear they wanted a Christian Western country in the far East. They were right to kick out the foreigners.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:


Over $79,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia
Similar Threads

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2014, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25 - Top