U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-15-2012, 05:07 AM

24,683 posts, read 45,502,552 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by yowps3 View Post
Japan is cool due to the way it is..

It's overcrowded and overpopulated.. For the size of their island..
So is the UK, especially England. England has a higher population density than Japan. They're equally within their rights to bar immigration.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-15-2012, 05:11 AM

25,059 posts, read 23,226,673 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trimac20 View Post
So is the UK, especially England. England has a higher population density than Japan. They're equally within their rights to bar immigration.
Except from the EEA. They have the legal obligation to accept any EEA citizen wanting to move to their country

Old 05-15-2012, 05:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by theunbrainwashed View Post
Except from the EEA. They have the legal obligation to accept any EEA citizen wanting to move to their country
Man that doesn't sound too good!

Old 05-15-2012, 01:26 PM

3,717 posts, read 4,389,533 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiger Beer View Post
How would their population be 'gone'? There are 127 million people in Japan. If the number decreases this generation, it doesn't mean it will steadily forever decrease until they cease to exist.

California has about 37 million people, and Japan and California are about the same size. Few would argue that California needs a whole lot more people though. However, I regularly hear that Japan does??
Japan Population Decline: Third Of Nation's Youth Have 'No Interest' In Sex (VIDEO)

Japan's Population to Shrink Nearly a Third by 2060 - Yahoo! News

Japan faces 'extinction' in 1,000 years - Yahoo! News Singapore

This is why. California is less populated (thank god) but it is growing VERY fast so it has much brighter future in terms of demographics than Japan.

Old 05-15-2012, 07:32 PM

5,008 posts, read 10,810,540 times
I concur with others who've said that Japan is not that unusual in regards to other countries in Asia being non-immigrant nations.

European and American countries, with a few Middle Eastern and African nations, are the exception. This is likely due to the unique circumstances of European colonial past. As some colonies were wildly successful in eventually pushing the natives back (see Americas) or interbreeding them (see central and south America, to a lesser extent North Africa), others weren't (see India, China, SE Asia). Eventually, after two world wars and constant colonial excess fighting and the natives "standing up" as Mao Zedong said Chinese had eventually done, the European nations saw their empires crumble and the United States relent and settle for "territories" and naval bases.

Eventually, Europe's own experiences with slaughter based on ethnic background shamed Europe into thinking that ANY ethno- or cultural-centrism was bad; nay, against nature.

I do not share this perception. I do not wish to see Germany's culture supplanted by a Turkish one, or France's with a north African/Muslim one, or Britain's with a Muslim one. I am but one person though. What do I know? What's wrong with a little nationalism? It's not like a little bit of that will instantly give rise to another Hitler or Slobodan Milosevic. In my opinion you can celebrate diversity while cherishing your own past, and the Japanese have perhaps had the most success in integrating foreign elements of culture into their own while maintaining their own identity.

Old 05-16-2012, 02:24 PM

136 posts, read 180,752 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eskercurve View Post
I concur with others who've said that Japan is not that unusual in regards to other countries in Asia being non-immigrant nations.

European and American countries, with a few Middle Eastern and African nations, are the exception. This is likely due to the unique circumstances of European colonial past. As some colonies were wildly successful in eventually pushing the natives back (see Americas) or interbreeding them (see central and south America, to a lesser extent North Africa), others weren't (see India, China, SE Asia). Eventually, after two world wars and constant colonial excess fighting and the natives "standing up" as Mao Zedong said Chinese had eventually done, the European nations saw their empires crumble and the United States relent and settle for "territories" and naval bases.

Eventually, Europe's own experiences with slaughter based on ethnic background shamed Europe into thinking that ANY ethno- or cultural-centrism was bad; nay, against nature.

I do not share this perception. I do not wish to see Germany's culture supplanted by a Turkish one, or France's with a north African/Muslim one, or Britain's with a Muslim one. I am but one person though. What do I know? What's wrong with a little nationalism? It's not like a little bit of that will instantly give rise to another Hitler or Slobodan Milosevic. In my opinion you can celebrate diversity while cherishing your own past, and the Japanese have perhaps had the most success in integrating foreign elements of culture into their own while maintaining their own identity.
Nothing. Unless you're white, that's racism.

Old 05-16-2012, 08:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eskercurve View Post

I agree. Nationalism - a pride in your nation's history, culture, heritage - is great, within limits. As we all know, overt nationalism can lead to aggression, warfare, xenophobia.etc. Japan's expansion during the first half of the 20th century was in large part to it's belief in it's own superiority. I do think a nation can incorporate quotas of different cultures without totally losing it's culture...it's funny that those nations with the least culture to be eroded, Australia and the US, are the most stridently patriotic. A lot of people are fearful of losing our 'identity' even though Australian identity was built up by migrants. The real Australian identity, that of the first Australians, has largely been lost on most people.

Old 05-16-2012, 10:01 PM

136 posts, read 180,752 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trimac20 View Post
I agree. Nationalism - a pride in your nation's history, culture, heritage - is great, within limits. As we all know, overt nationalism can lead to aggression, warfare, xenophobia.etc. Japan's expansion during the first half of the 20th century was in large part to it's belief in it's own superiority. I do think a nation can incorporate quotas of different cultures without totally losing it's culture...it's funny that those nations with the least culture to be eroded, Australia and the US, are the most stridently patriotic. A lot of people are fearful of losing our 'identity' even though Australian identity was built up by migrants. The real Australian identity, that of the first Australians, has largely been lost on most people.
Most people don't bother to think beyond the cliche of "stupid American's and their patriotism". The whole reason the USA is so patriotic is because you have people coming from all over the world. Patriotism was and is the best way to bind them together.

Old 05-16-2012, 10:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevike View Post
Most people don't bother to think beyond the cliche of "stupid American's and their patriotism". The whole reason the USA is so patriotic is because you have people coming from all over the world. Patriotism was and is the best way to bind them together.
Very good point. And Australians are probably even more blindly patriotic in some ways.

Old 05-16-2012, 10:54 PM

5,286 posts, read 8,065,714 times
Nationalism is not good because it often consist of a sense of racial superiority, but patriotism is probably what many of you are really referring to. Patriotism is good.

And no, nationalism and patriotism are not the same thing.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia