U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-15-2012, 02:48 AM

25,059 posts, read 23,176,735 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amercity View Post
Some population decline is good for japan but facing a 25-35% decline in 50 years is a serious problem! imagine how overworked the small minority of young people would have to pay in taxes for senior health care. This also causes the manfacutring output and economic output to go down as there are less able bodied people to take care of the country. If japan declined by 35% in 50 years it would be almost impossible to reverse unless the entire youth population produced 2 kids or more along with having a substantial amount of immigration.
Japan has 4.7% unemployment. That's still several million people without a job in Japan. How exactly is bringing in foreigners going to help? You do know that is all a sham, right? Creating a false sense of doom? Bringing in foreigners does not increase economic output when all things are considered. Mass influx of immigrants like in the West does one thing only. It drives down the wages of the country's inhabitants. When you have surplus labor, wages go down. The Japanese do not think like us Westerners do. They actually look out for their own people rather than their bottom line. You need to look at this through their eyes, not your Western eyes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by fellowjoe View Post
Don't get me wrong. I personally think that Japan is doing a great job trying to preserve its tradition and culture by not accepting foreigners too loosely. Their national pride and spirit is truly admirable.

Anyhow, i should think that those who are able to move to Japan at least for the short term are either in the affluent or the middle class category since they know fully well how expensive Japan can be. Low-paid jobs such as those in fast food joints and Starbucks just don't cut it; at the very least, teaching English would help a foreign expat make ends meet.

Due to Japan's insular attitude towards globalisation, its work ethic is one that strongly favours Japanese employees and practices. One such instance is the loyal senior employees are retained and often promoted before their younger (albeit more agile and efficient) colleagues. That also resulted in more younger Japanese employees hopping between companies every two to three years.

But times have changed. This would mean being out of touch with the global economic trends and thus only greater economic stagnation or decline would follow in the decades to come.

If Japan, by all means, is bent on the path of "culture first, globalisation later", then so be it.
See my post above this one. Diversity brings nothing beneficial to a nation, as Japan has proven time and time again. Globalization is just a keyword for getting people used to a one world government with the free movement of people around the globe.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amercity View Post
South Korea is the least diverse developed nation on the planet. They are 99.5% korean and often call their nation the homegenous nation while japan is only 97.5% Japanese.

I can see indians immigrating practically anywhere on the planet. I know many indians who have family in places from Sudan to Brazil to China ( hong kong area). So i think it is quite pausible that indians could move to japan espically since there is a large amount of engineer and high skill jobs along with the fact indians and japanese have been working together on many projects such as the Delhi Metro rail.

I really hope japan does something to increase its population or pretty soon it could become the first 3rd world country with a aging population.
So? Why is that such a bad thing? South Korea is doing pretty fine as far as I can see.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-05-2012, 12:07 PM

107 posts, read 95,145 times
No I don't.

The Japanese are more racist and nationalistic than the KKK.

They are quite possibly the most racist people on earth. Go figure huh.

Old 07-05-2012, 06:14 PM

15,945 posts, read 36,169,523 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by slasher11 View Post
No I don't.

Those are very racist statements to make.

Old 07-12-2012, 12:22 AM

21 posts, read 40,271 times
Personally, I would never move to Japan. It offers nothing that America does not have already, if not less. Sure, I like aspects of their culture, such as their wood carving things, their street culture, car culture, mega-cities and so on but other than that, why leave America for Japan? Why adapt to a completely new language and way of life, when the current one works. Besides, I doubt Japan will on the cutting edge of things like it used to, so why move their for economic prospects?

Old 07-12-2012, 07:00 AM

24,683 posts, read 45,393,502 times
Quote:
No I don't.

They were basically the Nazis of the East (Hitler was quite an admirer and vice versa), believing themselves superior and even divine (some believed them to be descendants of the Sun God, not unlike many other East Asian founding myths), who basically wanted to follow Europe's example of colonizing. They tried - of course vainly - convincing other Asian nations to unite under the 'Greater East-Asian Co-Prosperity Sphere' but obviously they brutally invaded. During the Fall of Singapore they rounded up many Singaporeans and shot them in cold blood, a scene that was repeated elsewhere in Asia. I don't personally hold the Japanese people responsible for this, but I don't think the Japanese government has really acknowledged this like other nations. Indeed, they self-censor a lot of what they teach in school to this today if it doesn't support the mythos of Japanese superiority. They are a highly nationalistic society - many nations are - partly because of their isolation, but I don't think the young generation of Japanese are individually that racist. These opinions are probably more prevalent in the older generation though.

Old 07-14-2012, 11:58 PM

1,487 posts, read 2,055,205 times
Quote:
No I don't.

The Tiger is right in the pocket. Those Are really racist statements and how does Slasher figure they are the most racist? Maybe he/she just had a bad hair day with the Japanese. I lived in Japan for 10 years and certainly I did meet some racism there , some in Korea and a lot in the UK. Japan and the UK are island nations and insularism feeds racism and xenophobia but over the years racism has dissipated in these nations. Many Japanese and Korean men have brought wives from other nations and this has caused them to mellow quite a bit. The UK has had a flood of immigration from many of their former colonies like Pakistan and India and that has caused the Brits to get a little more used to foreigners. It also is a good example of showing how colonialism comes back to bite the colonizer on its posterior. But looking over these three countries I think the word xenophobe is more accurate than racist.

In any event neither Japan nor the UK ever imported slaves nor did they enslave 15% of their respective populations. So as an American I really can't complain about racism anywhere else since we do it pretty well ourselves. I have encountered more racism in Chicago than any other city I lived in and that includes Tokyo. On the other hand I grew up 1950's Los Angeles and it was the least racist city I have ever been in, Madrid came in a close second.

A hilarious example of arrogant British xenophobia happened to me several years ago on entering the UK with a group of Spanish friends, I was using my US Passport and got into the line for EU members. Takjing away to my friends and when I reached the passport booth the British Immigration agent looked at my passport and pointed to another line and said "Colonials over there." I politely informed him that he obviously had not been reading the newspapers for some time. That went over like a lead balloon.

Old 07-19-2012, 05:11 PM

1,761 posts, read 6,967,579 times
Japan is a nice place to stay. But the only thing that scares me is the earthquake.
they always experience earthquakes. In Philippines, we do experience too but not as often
as Japan because both are located at the Pacific Ring of Fire.

Old 07-21-2012, 01:29 AM

321 posts, read 523,026 times
Hmm, not really.

Japan is no doubt a very advanced country that is superior in technology but they're too conformist and Japanese society in general, doesn't even some other Asian cultures so I doubt if they're willing to open their doors and let in masses of people from different races, religions and cultures.

Old 07-21-2012, 01:50 AM

1,527 posts, read 2,326,592 times
umm Japan is already a immigrant nation...there are millions of westerners(euro, african, mexican) in japan

Old 07-21-2012, 02:11 PM

1,953 posts, read 2,070,580 times
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia