Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-18-2012, 12:08 AM

5,004 posts, read 12,313,882 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Antonio84 View Post
Nationalism is not good because it often consist of a sense of racial superiority, but patriotism is probably what many of you are really referring to. Patriotism is good.

And no, nationalism and patriotism are not the same thing.
It depends on what sort of pride you wish to express.

I take a more cultural traditionalist perspective of nationalism. In that, it expresses what you consider patriotism for a national identity. In the examples I previously mentioned, I'm merely expressing the belief that it should not be seen as "bad" to be nationalistic when expression of such nationalism is towards traditional values.

In almost all modern Western post-colonial societies, those values are freedom of speech, freedom of assembly, freedom of religious belief and the surrender of those freedoms when in violation of the law, and the freedom to revolution.

What Europe is quickly seeing is the newcomers do not share those ideals. Many believe (especially Wahabbi Muslim) that there is only one true religion and it is the state's duty to impose this view on the people. Further, the freedoms of speech are often trounced upon.

And unfortunately, the recent Arab Spring revolutions show that while there is hope for the Muslim nations to learn what the Europeans learned centuries ago, it will take time. And even then, today, many self-professed "liberal" Muslims wince when asked the question of freedom of speech in the form of railing against one of Islam's central tenets - the expression of Allah in art.

Now I like to give Islam the benefit of the doubt, much like Christianity, when I say that I do not believe it was the intent to say any speech is not divine or that something is slander against God. By doing so I condemn the centuries of misguided idiots who happened to find their way into power over masses of people and happened to have their own hare brained ideals. Oh yes, free speech! So long as you do not draw God, Allah. Oh yes, freedom of assembly! So long as you do not slander your local imam. Oh yes, freedom of reli ... oh wait, no, NOT THAT freedom!

You get my point.

Europe is at risk of being overrun by hordes of newcomers who are centuries regressed in their experience with true intellectual societies, where nothing is taken for granted and all are open to scrutiny, INCLUDING religion. They have a few more centuries to go I should think.

Note how I did not utter one syllable of some cockamamie idea of racial or ethnic purity. What nonsense. It's the essence of Western thought that is under attack and I hope Europe realizes it before its too late.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-18-2012, 12:19 AM

3,400 posts, read 8,004,620 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by patrix542 View Post
Japan Population Decline: Third Of Nation's Youth Have 'No Interest' In Sex (VIDEO)

This is why. California is less populated (thank god) but it is growing VERY fast so it has much brighter future in terms of demographics than Japan.
This article I find hard to believe. You wouldnt believe how many sex shops, etc you will find there....

Old 06-12-2012, 12:16 AM

4,879 posts, read 3,325,413 times
Very unlikely, given the very long historical tradition of xenophobia to "outsiders" that is well documented...

Old 06-12-2012, 10:41 AM

492 posts, read 1,004,370 times
I highly doubt it can be. The country is notoriously xenophobic. It doesn't even accept Japanese-Brazilians, despite the fact that Brazil has the largest population of Japanese outside of Japan.

I recently read an article about how Japan has begun using robots to fill the labor holes its pop. decline has and will continue to create. It's amazing, they would rather have robots than foreigners run their country.

Japan: Robot Nation // Current TV

^Here is a documentary on it, and how many Japanese people PREFER robots to people...I find it odd, personally, but it's not my culture, so...

Old 06-12-2012, 10:44 AM

24,606 posts, read 55,766,800 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DginnWonder View Post
I highly doubt it can be. The country is notoriously xenophobic. It doesn't even accept Japanese-Brazilians, despite the fact that Brazil has the largest population of Japanese outside of Japan.

I recently read an article about how Japan has begun using robots to fill the labor holes its pop. decline has and will continue to create. It's amazing, they would rather have robots than foreigners run their country.

Japan: Robot Nation // Current TV

^Here is a documentary on it, and how many Japanese people PREFER robots to people...I find it odd, personally, but it's not my culture, so...
Japanese people, robots, what's the difference?

Robots will fit in easier to Japanese society than foreigners!

Old 06-12-2012, 11:04 AM

492 posts, read 1,004,370 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trimac20 View Post
Japanese people, robots, what's the difference?

Robots will fit in easier to Japanese society than foreigners!
Lol. Scary that for an entire country, this is a viable alternative. Conversely, many countries are re-evaluating their immigration policies, as birth rates begin to decline in some areas/regions. Japan just keeps mum about it, and instead of "importing" work, it "creates" work.

Robot Nation indeed.

Old 06-12-2012, 11:28 PM

16,284 posts, read 42,962,695 times
I live in Japan, and I'm a foreigner.

There are plenty of other foreigners here, and plenty of them living and working. If a person wants to live and work here, it's not that difficult to do.

I have a 5-year-work-visa, and I can switch to any job I want. I could work at Starbucks if I wanted.

The main problem with Japan, is that for most positions, people need to know Japanese inside and out. I don't know Japanese that well, for most jobs.

Personally, even if Japan really wanted to be an 'immigration nation', they'd have an enormous amount of work trying to get the multitudes of job-seekers up to a certain level of just simply basic Japanese. Particularly the extremely difficult writing system.

Old 06-13-2012, 12:13 AM

366 posts, read 978,128 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DginnWonder View Post
Lol. Scary that for an entire country, this is a viable alternative. Conversely, many countries are re-evaluating their immigration policies, as birth rates begin to decline in some areas/regions. Japan just keeps mum about it, and instead of "importing" work, it "creates" work.

Robot Nation indeed.
Japan is arguably ahead of the US in technology, so i'd say good for them.

Come to think of it, its pretty impressive how they manage to avoid jumping on the immigration bandwagon for that long.

Old 06-13-2012, 01:01 AM

16,284 posts, read 42,962,695 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fellowjoe View Post
Come to think of it, its pretty impressive how they manage to avoid jumping on the immigration bandwagon for that long.
Personally, I think it's better if Japan just remains Japan, without becoming mini-China or mini-Vietnam or whatever else.

On that note, how come no one gives pressure to Mexico or somewhere more realistic to become an immigration nation?

Or if its going to be unrealistic, how about pressure on Vietnam or Korea or China...why always Japan?

Old 06-13-2012, 04:08 AM

366 posts, read 978,128 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiger Beer View Post
Personally, I think it's better if Japan just remains Japan, without becoming mini-China or mini-Vietnam or whatever else.

On that note, how come no one gives pressure to Mexico or somewhere more realistic to become an immigration nation?

Or if its going to be unrealistic, how about pressure on Vietnam or Korea or China...why always Japan?
Vietnam, Mexico and arguably China too are considered as less developed countries.

South Korea, though a developed country, is not on the same level as Japan and the West.

Like the Western countries such as the US and UK, Japan is widely considered as a first-tier developed nation and thus is expected to welcome immigrants.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia