U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-21-2012, 04:31 AM

24,683 posts, read 45,403,340 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by callmemaybe View Post
Maybe economic growth isn't the end all be all of success?
This. The article doesn't really talk about things that directly pertain to the economy. I honestly think the quality of life in Thailand is better than America in some ways.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-21-2012, 05:24 AM

190 posts, read 528,422 times
0% or 4% unemployment is a bit misleading. It's still common for women to drop out of the work force for years once they have children, where as in the US many keep working. Overall though, I found places well staffed and never heard of anyone complain about applying for hundreds of jobs and having no luck getting any, as I hear quite often in the US. I think the corporations have made some serious errors over there. Their electronics companies were dominant until recently. The government however has made sure that fewer people are suffering as a result of that (pushing companies to higher more workers and not axing a ton of government jobs, unlike the US) and whatever else is causing their economic decline.

Old 05-21-2012, 05:47 AM

Do women lag behind in representation in the workforce compared to other developed nations?

Old 05-21-2012, 12:08 PM

2,189 posts, read 4,717,030 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by yowps3 View Post
But Japan's debt is happily financed by its own people & corporations.. Unlike USA & Europe which actually rely in Japan & China to purchase their debts..

Japan could reach 1000% debt to GDP which won't matter because it's all held internally.
Who cares? Debt is debt. If you didn't know..debt = no money.

And no, it's not..

List of countries by external debt - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

There's no 0% unemployment rate. Usually, they say 4%-5% is full employment. There are always people out of work...looking for new job, moving, got enough money and don't have to work, taking time off etc.. I also do not think there's a country that considers maternity leave as unemployment.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trimac20 View Post
I honestly think the quality of life in Thailand is better than America in some ways.
LOL......................... ok

I was in Hamburg and stayed at a Hostel with 3 other guys from Thailand this weekend. They were living and working in Germany, they said ( near Frankfurt ). They said they didn't have those kind of opportunities in Thailand and were glad they were out of there. And they were only in their early 20s maybe. Sure, it's not as ****ty as Africa, but there's a reason it's called developing country.

Last edited by Glucorious; 05-21-2012 at 12:27 PM..

Old 05-21-2012, 12:21 PM

355 posts, read 1,039,408 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by imokay View Post
But Japan exports technology, not olive oil and ouzo.
Big economic powers export mostly commodities (Leontieff's Paradox).

Old 05-21-2012, 05:23 PM

1,523 posts, read 3,321,918 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glucorious View Post

And no, it's not..

So what are you trying to imply?

If USA wants to erase all of its external debt then the only way to go is to start war with Japan... And when Japan goes USA economy will improve as Japan is USA's largest competitor overall

Old 05-21-2012, 05:58 PM

Quote:

And no, it's not..

There's no 0% unemployment rate. Usually, they say 4%-5% is full employment. There are always people out of work...looking for new job, moving, got enough money and don't have to work, taking time off etc.. I also do not think there's a country that considers maternity leave as unemployment.

I was in Hamburg and stayed at a Hostel with 3 other guys from Thailand this weekend. They were living and working in Germany, they said ( near Frankfurt ). They said they didn't have those kind of opportunities in Thailand and were glad they were out of there. And they were only in their early 20s maybe. Sure, it's not as ****ty as Africa, but there's a reason it's called developing country.
Germany is not the US. Many Thais in Bangkok drive cars, use the internet, cellphones, have decent health cover, white collar jobs, have a better social life than Americans. I know there's more poverty in rural areas and the urban slums though.

Old 05-22-2012, 05:09 AM

985 posts, read 3,263,110 times
Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trimac20 View Post
Germany is not the US. Many Thais in Bangkok drive cars, use the internet, cellphones, have decent health cover, white collar jobs, have a better social life than Americans. I know there's more poverty in rural areas and the urban slums though.
Just as what oberon_1 and callmemaybe mentioned, it is all about definition.
I've lived in SE Asia and Europe, and I honestly can't say that one is better than the other. Each country (and regions within the country) offers different qualities.
I thought it was a cliché, but I have to agree with those who say that economic stats and absolute numbers do not always reflect the real quality of life.

Old 05-22-2012, 05:41 AM

1,953 posts, read 2,070,935 times

Era of economic priority in Japan was over.
Pollution does not stop.

Old 05-22-2012, 07:32 AM

2,189 posts, read 4,717,030 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by yowps3 View Post
So what are you trying to imply?

If USA wants to erase all of its external debt then the only way to go is to start war with Japan... And when Japan goes USA economy will improve as Japan is USA's largest competitor overall
Fitch Ratings downgrades Japan - May. 22, 2012
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia