U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-22-2012, 07:37 AM

2,189 posts, read 4,716,379 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by yowps3 View Post
So what are you trying to imply?

If USA wants to erase all of its external debt then the only way to go is to start war with Japan... And when Japan goes USA economy will improve as Japan is USA's largest competitor overall
Fitch Ratings downgrades Japan - May. 22, 2012

I wasn't implying anything. I was saying that Japan is in bad shape.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trimac20 View Post
Germany is not the US. Many Thais in Bangkok drive cars, use the internet, cellphones, have decent health cover, white collar jobs, have a better social life than Americans. I know there's more poverty in rural areas and the urban slums though.
I already responded to this in the other thread.

Quality of life is now social life? I can have a great social life in Sudan. It's a poor country. It naturally can not provide what other high income and developed countries can provide to their citizens.
By the way, I do know it's not Germany. Why you're saying this? People in the U.S. do drive cars too... oh, and we have Internet, and lots of other things.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neutre View Post
Just as what oberon_1 and callmemaybe mentioned, it is all about definition.
I've lived in SE Asia and Europe, and I honestly can't say that one is better than the other. Each country (and regions within the country) offers different qualities.
I thought it was a cliché, but I have to agree with those who say that economic stats and absolute numbers do not always reflect the real quality of life.
Definition ? I've been to Thailand. I've seen it. It looks like a developing country to me. Personal definitions of quality of life may be up for debate....

I went to a Vietnamese restaurant and met this guy who was born in Vietnam. Well, I told him I was American and then he talked about the Vietnam war etc.. He was one of the "boat people". He told me about a project he was doing that was called "Thank you Germany". He asked me if I knew about something similar in the U.S. I didn't. I asked him what's there to thank them for. They simply admitted him as a refugee. He compared it to a plant. A plant can only grow if the soil is any good. And if it's regularly watered and fertilized, then it's gonna grow even faster and turn out even better. He said they could have sent him to Angola and he would have been worse off than before. But, instead, he was sent to a country that provided him with a lot of opportunities he could take advantage of. He went to College, got a well paying job, was able to afford a house and raise a family without having to worry about anything. He said there was no water in Vietnam, and there was no fertilizer. In other words, he was able to do something with his life he could not have done in the country he was born in. The country is not able to provide for its citizens. It's not just Vietnam, though. It's almost the entire area there. I thought he made a great point.

I'm on my phone. Gotta keep things short. So if it sounds weird, that's alright.

Last edited by Glucorious; 05-22-2012 at 07:56 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-22-2012, 08:25 AM

22,143 posts, read 23,668,851 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glucorious View Post
Though that was in the wake of a pretty powerful sequence of earthquake, tsunami, and nuclear meltdown which was/is estimated to cause incredible long-term economic damage that's still being dealt with today.

Old 05-22-2012, 04:56 PM

985 posts, read 3,262,839 times
Question quality of life

Quote:
Definition ? I've been to Thailand. I've seen it. It looks like a developing country to me. Personal definitions of quality of life may be up for debate....

I went to a Vietnamese restaurant and met this guy who was born in Vietnam. Well, I told him I was American and then he talked about the Vietnam war etc.. He was one of the "boat people". He told me about a project he was doing that was called "Thank you Germany". He asked me if I knew about something similar in the U.S. I didn't. I asked him what's there to thank them for. They simply admitted him as a refugee. He compared it to a plant. A plant can only grow if the soil is any good. And if it's regularly watered and fertilized, then it's gonna grow even faster and turn out even better. He said they could have sent him to Angola and he would have been worse off than before. But, instead, he was sent to a country that provided him with a lot of opportunities he could take advantage of. He went to College, got a well paying job, was able to afford a house and raise a family without having to worry about anything. He said there was no water in Vietnam, and there was no fertilizer. In other words, he was able to do something with his life he could not have done in the country he was born in. The country is not able to provide for its citizens. It's not just Vietnam, though. It's almost the entire area there. I thought he made a great point.
So you're basing your judgment based on some visit to Thailand where you don't understand the language and a talk with a Vietnamese refugee?

I've lived in Indonesia and Germany and speak both languages fluently. I can tell you there's so much facets and nuances of life you get only when you live in the country and speak the language.
Again, I thought this was a cliché, but many Germans that have a very high quality of life based on various international statistical standards are not better off than many Indonesians who by the same standards have a low quality of life.

Quote:
Just as what oberon_1 and callmemaybe mentioned, it is all about definition.
I've lived in SE Asia and Europe, and I honestly can't say that one is better than the other. Each country (and regions within the country) offers different qualities.
I thought it was a cliché, but I have to agree with those who say that economic stats and absolute numbers do not always reflect the real quality of life.
I often wondered why it was. I guess this conversation between Alain de Botton and Riz Khan helped me to get a glimpse on it.

Old 05-23-2012, 08:02 AM

2,189 posts, read 4,716,379 times
Quote:
So you're basing your judgment based on some visit to Thailand where you don't understand the language and a talk with a Vietnamese refugee?

I've lived in Indonesia and Germany and speak both languages fluently. I can tell you there's so much facets and nuances of life you get only when you live in the country and speak the language.
Again, I thought this was a cliché, but many Germans that have a very high quality of life based on various international statistical standards are not better off than many Indonesians who by the same standards have a low quality of life.

I often wondered why it was. I guess this conversation between Alain de Botton and Riz Khan helped me to get a glimpse on it.
I could probably find a very long list of things they do not have and can not provide, but wealthier countries do have and can provide. And I mentioned that encounter for a reason.

moral - definition of moral by the Free Online Dictionary, Thesaurus and Encyclopedia.

Quote:
1. The lesson or principle contained in or taught by a story, or an event.

Old 05-23-2012, 08:42 AM

25,059 posts, read 23,176,735 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by yowps3 View Post
But Japan's debt is happily financed by its own people & corporations.. Unlike USA & Europe which actually rely in Japan & China to purchase their debts..

Japan could reach 1000% debt to GDP which won't matter because it's all held internally.
Not true. Out of the US's $14+ trillion debt, only a bit more than $2 trillion is owned by Japan and China, collectively.

Old 05-23-2012, 03:00 PM

985 posts, read 3,262,839 times
Default quality of life

Quote:
I could probably find a very long list of things they do not have and can not provide, but wealthier countries do have and can provide. And I mentioned that encounter for a reason.

moral - definition of moral by the Free Online Dictionary, Thesaurus and Encyclopedia.
I agree that wealthier countries nominally do have and can provide, yet bigger incomes and outwardly more opportunities do not equate a better quality of life as a whole.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cocoricoco View Post
First world, second world, third world....is just an state of mind.

I've seen human beings that live a happy and full life with less than 30 dollars a month. I've seen millionaires that live miserable and petty lifes in first world countries...

I guess that first, second and third world bears no correlation with tap water, corruption or fast speed trains.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia