Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-28-2012, 09:54 AM

300 posts, read 639,141 times

Advertisements

Ive seen pictures, videos of Syrian Civilians being slaughtered on Youtube and social media sites. Should'nt the International Community do a intervention? UN isnt doing ANYTHING..and the "ceasefire" is pure BS. We should arm the FSA, that'll just cause more violence. What are you guys take on the situation?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-28-2012, 09:57 AM

7,956 posts, read 11,846,883 times
I hope so, the massacre of them children yesterday is the last straw, or at least it should be. We supposedly intervened in Libya to stop massacres.

Old 05-28-2012, 09:58 AM

27,566 posts, read 28,665,617 times
There should be an international coalition to stop what's happening there, like what was done in Libya.

I have no idea why the world has decided to sit back and do nothing about a government slaughtering its own people.

Old 05-28-2012, 12:00 PM

7,855 posts, read 10,290,265 times
russia,s political cynicism over this issue is disgusting

the russian ambasador when commenting on the weekends massacre said both sides were somewhat to blame

yes , young kids and defensless families are capable of horrific attrocities

Old 05-28-2012, 12:45 PM

26,787 posts, read 22,549,184 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by irish_bob View Post
russia,s political cynicism over this issue is disgusting

the russian ambasador when commenting on the weekends massacre said both sides were somewhat to blame

yes , young kids and defensless families are capable of horrific attrocities

"Russia blamed both the government and the rebels for the Houla massacre.
"Both sides have obviously had a hand in the deaths of innocent people, including several dozen women and children," Lavrov said. "This area is controlled by the rebels, but it is also surrounded by the government troops."
He said Russia has no interest in propping up Assad but wants Syria to guide its own transition under a plan brokered by special envoy Kofi Annan.
"We don't support the Syrian government; we support Kofi Annan's plan," Lavrov said.
Moscow's pro-Syria stance has been motivated in part by its strategic and defense ties to Damascus, including weapons sales. Russia also rejects what it sees as a world order dominated by the U.S."
[LEFT]
Read more: Russia condemns ally Syria over massacre of 108 | Fox News
[/LEFT]

another thing that caught my eye was;

"It is not clear whether Assad's forces were exclusively to blame for the slaughter of 108 people Friday in Houla, a collection of poor farming villages in Homs province. The United Nations said 49 children and 34 women were among the dead; some had bullet holes through their heads.
The U.N. Security Council blamed Syrian forces for artillery and tank shelling of residential areas, but it did not clearly state who was responsible for the close-range shooting deaths and "severe physical abuse" of civilians."

So who was in charge of the region, the rebels or Assad? Because that doesn't look like the result of "artillery and tank shelling."

[LEFT]

[/LEFT]

Old 05-28-2012, 12:54 PM

7,956 posts, read 11,846,883 times
So it must have been the rebels because they had bullet wounds to the head? I am sure it is plausible that after the shelling that the Assad troops could have moved in to "clear up" any survivors.

Old 05-28-2012, 12:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by paull805 View Post
So it must have been the rebels because they had bullet wounds to the head? I am sure it is plausible that after the shelling that the Assad troops could have moved in to "clear up" any survivors.
Yes, that's quite plausible. I am just reading the details.

Old 05-28-2012, 01:03 PM

4,865 posts, read 10,526,770 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigCityDreamer View Post
There should be an international coalition to stop what's happening there, like what was done in Libya.

I have no idea why the world has decided to sit back and do nothing about a government slaughtering its own people.
Because it's a messy, nasty conflict with sectarian connotations and we couldn't just intervene by giving some air support like we did in Libya. We'd have to send our boys to die and spend our treasure for decades if we intervened, especially given the Islamist interests in a post-Assad Syria. It's looking like it'll turn into another Lebanon or Iraq and no nation wants to sacrifice that much on Syria's behalf right now, even Iran's enemies who would win a little strategic victory if everything went perfectly (which it wouldn't)

Old 05-28-2012, 01:13 PM

9,367 posts, read 14,309,828 times
Unlike Iraq, Libya and Iran, Syria does not have enough oil to matter as a first line of attack.

However, it is a key strategic player in the eastern Mediterranean and Mesopotamia.

In that context, Syria, Iran and Palestine are related, so any first-line intervention may come if a convenient combination of circumstances arises in that context.

That may take a long time, if ever, so in the meantime I would not be surprised to hear more about second-line intervention in the hopes that the rebel forces may topple the regime, but, as some have alluded to, no-one can be sure who these so-called rebels would really turn out to be.

Good Luck!

Old 05-28-2012, 01:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bale002 View Post
Unlike Iraq, Libya and Iran, Syria does not have enough oil to matter as a first line of attack.

Heh, that answered my question before I even posted it)))
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia