Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which Asian city do you like to visit/live?
Tokyo 49 29.52%
Seoul 17 10.24%
Hong Kong 81 48.80%
Singapore 19 11.45%
Voters: 166. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-03-2008, 12:01 PM

2,806 posts, read 16,365,289 times

Advertisements

Why would Singapore be your last choice? Do you just not like the place? By measures of liveability I think it would come out top on the list. English is spoken by nearly everyone, its clean, no crime, fairly easy to get around with the MRT/buses.

I love Hong Kong, but if I had to live there long term I would probably pick Singapore over Hong Kong because it is easier to live there, and you don't have to worry about your fluency in chinese (guandonghua in the case of Hong Kong).

I agree with you about Tokyo though. If I was able to speak Japanese it would probably be a really nice place to live, but I can't speak Japanese so I wouldn't want to live there.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PacificJet View Post
I think Hong Kong would be the best place to be. Language really isn't a problem there and there isn't same level of discrimination against foreigners you'd find in Seoul or Tokyo. The people in Hong Kong, however, have their own style. They are fast, pushy, loud, and generally agressive.

If language was not an issue (able to communicate well in Japanese), and I had a LOT of money, I'd go with Tokyo. Better weather, nicer people (to your face anyway), more culture, and better quality of life than Hong Kong.

Singapore would be my last choice.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-03-2008, 12:05 PM

389 posts, read 1,986,141 times
been to HK and singapore... i preferred singapore just coz when we rode a bus there.... and then when we got off the bus... we are in.. malaysia!!! that is one unbelievable experience i would never ever forget....

as for the other 2.. i would really really love to go to tokyo.. coz japanese people have great style... awful food... but you gotta admit, they have great style, especially the hair!!!! omg.

Old 05-03-2008, 12:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Busch Boy View Post
English is already declining? It's only been a span of 11 years!

I would go to ANY of those cities. I have no preference; they all seem to be amazing.
Yes I'd say the English quality of the average Hongkie has declined since the British left.

If anything this has a lot to do with the focus by people in Hong Kong trying to learn Mandarin thanks to their new overlords in Beijing. As a result English is somewhat falling to the wayside.

A lot of people don't realize that English never was that good in Hong Kong to begin with. I'd say only about 1/3 of people in Hong Kong could hold a decent conversation in English.

Old 05-03-2008, 06:33 PM

17 posts, read 112,507 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mead View Post
Why would Singapore be your last choice? Do you just not like the place? By measures of liveability I think it would come out top on the list. English is spoken by nearly everyone, its clean, no crime, fairly easy to get around with the MRT/buses.
There are a couple reasons why I put Singapore at the bottom of the list. It's not that I don't like it, it's just that I like it the least.

First, it is a very controlled state. Most things are 'regulated' beyond my personal tolerance. I don't like an environment with such a strong control by the government. For example, the press is controlled. Beer and alcohol is taxed beyond belief. Cars are taxed 200%+. Even small infractions against the law are punished harshly.

Can you imagine having to pay $12-15 USD for a pint of beer or $100K USD for a Toyota Corolla? Or having your child get caned for vandalism? Not me!

Second, Singapore just feels too western. The true ethnic core (Asian) core of Singapore is hard to find. Everytime I go I feel like it's just a big theme park/shopping arcade.

Hong Kong, Seoul, Tokyo ... those cities are first and foremost of and by their native people. To me, Singapore doesn't seem to have that same essence. Many people refer to Singapore "Asia-Lite" for that reason. Very easy to live in, but, without a real asian soul.

Finally, the weather in Singapore can become a burden. Very hot and high humidity ... all the time. Really no variation.

Hope that helps a bit. Singapore is a beautiful country, unique in its own way, but for me, it would be one of my last picks of a place to live in Asia.

Old 05-03-2008, 10:56 PM

Ok I guess we'll have to agree to disagree.

The weather isn't THAT bad. I lived there without air-con at my place, so its not such a big deal.

Beer isn't that expensive, or at least I hope it hasn't gone up that much since I've left. You can get a bottle of Tiger beer at hawker stalls for a somewhat reasonable price (more expensive than the rest of Asia, but its still not really expensive).

I think your post is a tad bit exagerrated. Singapore is a pretty nice place to live, definitely has an Asian soul (so long as you don't spend all of your time there hanging out on Orchard Rd). Singapore was built by and for Singaporeans, I don't really get what you're trying to say about it being too Western. Beyond the better comprehension of English, how is Singapore culturally that different from Hong Kong?

Old 05-05-2008, 12:47 PM

2,540 posts, read 3,732,276 times
I've been to HongKong, Singapore, Tokyo, but not Seoul. I would vote for Singapore, hands-down, for the following reasons:

* GREAT food (although HongKong comes very close second with its food)
* Low crime
* Excellent health care
* English speaking country, so no need to struggle with new language
* Very clean city with clear cut rules & regulations
* Great public transportations so no car required at all
* When you get bored of the city, all the islands getaways are just a short plane ride away (including Australia, Thai beaches, Bali, the south pacific coasts, etc)

My second choice would be HongKong.

Old 05-05-2008, 07:38 PM

1,574 posts, read 5,114,620 times
I wouldn't want to actually live in any of those Asian cities, visiting is fine though. I prefer the energy of Hong Kong (but I could handle the crowds only for a few days). I was born in Singapore, came to the US as a toddler and no regrets that my parents moved to the USA. I'm not close to my cousins, but when I hear of their lives, pressures, situations, etc. in Singapore, I am glad I'm not in their shoes. Singaporeans tend to be smart-alecky & elitist as if they live in the most prominent country ever. My cousins are infact envious of my life spent in Seattle, LA & Chicago. Whenever I return to Asia, such as a recent trip to HK & Thailand, I enjoy my visit but can never imagine myself spending more than a week there. However, I do prefer elements of the various cities:
- the innovative & industrious nature of Hong Kong; its excitement & vast array of things to see & do
- the gentle nature & cutting edge- way of Japanese people
- the food I agree in Singapore is generally very good

Old 05-05-2008, 11:11 PM

16,257 posts, read 43,168,834 times
I've been to all 4 many times. Well, I lived in Seoul for a number of years (I'm not Korean, an ESL teacher) and now living in Japan.

I'd take TOKYO by far. But the language barrier is the highest of the four cities, also by far. But Tokyo is one of the most interesting, coolest cities and some of the nicest and most interesting people.

After that, I'd say HONG KONG. Mostly because there is English there. However, I don't have any desire to learn Cantonese (Mandarin however, would be much more interesting). I do like the feel of Hong Kong quite a bit.

Previous to living in Japan, I would have said Singapore. I've been there several times, and I still do like it. Mostly I like that English is everywhere.

Seoul. I lived there for years, and loved living there. But now that I live in Japan, I gotta say that Tokyo blows Seoul away in every conceivable manner. I do like Korean food quite a bit though.

Last edited by Tiger Beer; 05-06-2008 at 12:06 AM..

Old 05-05-2008, 11:46 PM

268 posts, read 1,159,638 times
I've been to all four, and Hong Kong is hands down my favorite.

Old 05-06-2008, 07:00 PM

You don't think the language barrier is worse in Seoul than Tokyo?

Even if Koreans are minutely better than Japanese at speaking English, I think Tokyo is much more cosmopolitan than is Seoul and is therefore better for foreigners.

On my one and only trip to Seoul I felt like the locals were staring at me (the foreigner) to an excessive degree. In Japan people really don't care about you unless you do something really weird.

BTW, props to you for having Tiger Beer as your screen name

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiger Beer View Post
I've been to all 4 many times. Well, I lived in Seoul for a number of years (I'm not Korean, an ESL teacher) and now living in Japan.

I'd take TOKYO by far. But the language barrier is the highest of the four cities, also by far. But Tokyo is one of the most interesting, coolest cities and some of the nicest and most interesting people.

After that, I'd say HONG KONG. Mostly because there is English there. However, I don't have any desire to learn Cantonese (Mandarin however, would be much more interesting). I do like the feel of Hong Kong quite a bit.

Previous to living in Japan, I would have said Singapore. I've been there several times, and I still do like it. Mostly I like that English is everywhere.

Seoul. I lived there for years, and loved living there. But now that I live in Japan, I gotta say that Tokyo blows Seoul away in every conceivable manner. I do like Korean food quite a bit though.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia