U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-06-2012, 07:56 PM

3,517 posts, read 5,459,761 times

Advertisements

I actually think its a bit overrated, the food and colonial architecture is great, but i just feel the city lacks something. Last time i went the the city and orchard road were dead, there was no body around! It was a few years ago so I cant remember what day of week its was, but i would have to assume sunday, still It's not what i expect to see in an asian city.

Is it true that the government owns something like 60% of the housing in singapore?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-06-2012, 08:07 PM

15,945 posts, read 36,164,246 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by danielsa1775 View Post
I actually think its a bit overrated, the food and colonial architecture is great, but i just feel the city lacks something. Last time i went the the city and orchard road were dead, there was no body around! It was a few years ago so I cant remember what day of week its was, but i would have to assume sunday, still It's not what i expect to see in an asian city.

Is it true that the government owns something like 60% of the housing in singapore?
That's one of the problems. The nightlife is too expensive. Well, it's 'on par' with other cities that have similar wealth.

But, way too easy to go to Bangkok, Jakarta, Manila or somewhere and have an incredible good time for a fraction of the cost.

If I lived in Singapore, or even when I've visited Singapore (on the multitude of occassions), I generally come to same conclusion: I'm not going to go out so much in Singapore, and save that for somewhere else nearby.

Old 06-06-2012, 08:08 PM

24,683 posts, read 45,384,878 times
Quote:

That's weird, it must've been a public holiday because Orchard Road has always been busy...was it in the morning? Shops open late in Singapore, about 11am or later, and things don't get going until lunch time.

Not true, actually most people own their own home (mostly HDB flats).

Old 06-06-2012, 08:48 PM

3,517 posts, read 5,459,761 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trimac20 View Post
That's weird, it must've been a public holiday because Orchard Road has always been busy...was it in the morning? Shops open late in Singapore, about 11am or later, and things don't get going until lunch time.

Not true, actually most people own their own home (mostly HDB flats).
So the government (HDB) builds most of the units in the country and then sells them?

Old 06-06-2012, 08:57 PM

Quote:
So the government (HDB) builds most of the units in the country and then sells them?
That's right.

Old 06-06-2012, 09:07 PM

1,339 posts, read 2,253,805 times
I lived in Singapore for just under 2 years and it was a real mix of all of the above comments....

Quote:
The stereotypes are generally true: it's very clean, modern, the government has very little tolerance those who do not abide by the law. However, I disagree with those who claim it's 'sterile': Singapore has the authenticity, vibrancy and charm of any of the other great Asian metropolises, but is just a bit cleaner and well-ordered going about it.
Singapore was clean and stuff works but it does feel quite soulless. the architecture was interesting and there was plenty to do as a tourist but as an expat it was incredibly dull. It was quite sterile when compared with other asian cities.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sulkiercupid View Post
Spent a lot of time with family there, nice place to visit, with great food and lots to do but I wouldn't really consider living there either. I think the people are fine on a one on one level, but the society as a whole is overly materialistic and strangely paranoid. This makes sense in that it's an insecure society given its small size and the fact that while the society may look to be wealthy on one level it has never come to them easy, many people work 12-15 hour days, there's little social security and no minimum wage which adds further pressure on people. It's a rather unforgiving place if you fall through the cracks.
I have never been asked quite so many times what my husband does and where we live in the first few lines of a conversation. we lived in a great area - Emerald hill in an old shophouse and my husband had a good global job and so we got membership of the Tanglin Club within 6 months of living in Singapore - there is a long waiting list for locals - and peoples attitudes towards us changed dramatically when they heard our address.... shallow and materialistic are words that spring to mind...

Quote:
On the plus side corruption is low, there isn't any real violent dissent, and Singaporeans do on the whole get on together. .....No, it's not fun being either a kid or an adult in Singapore, which is in part why Singapore is experiences a bit of a 'brain drain' as many of it's brightest and most talented minds move elsewhere for opportunities and a bit more freedom from both the stifling tropical humidity and the stifling and restrictive social atmosphere.

Also, it's a bit too 'free trade' and allows hoards of foreigners to take over jobs which native Singaporeans can be. Especially if these jobs are seen as being 'beneath' what is predominantly a Middle class country. Of course, few Singaporeans complain too loudly, even now as a third of people living in Singaporeans aren't even permanent residents let alone citizens.
it is an incredible safe place to live.... but really for a grown up as Trimac20 says its no fun.... go to Hong Kong if you want fun...

However I have to disagree with the 'free trade' and job point. My husband got his visa relatively easily but he does head up the global dept for his company and was moving the dept to SGN so giving people jobs, but I and other wives who are completely employable and qualified struggled to get anything...

We moved from HK to SGN and within about 3 months the novelty had worn off. I quickly grew tired of the shuffling feet along orchard road and the singlish accent. English is supposed to be the national language hoverer the reality is that away from the tourist spots and Orchard road it is hard to be understood. I had many taxi drivers who I couldn't communicate with. (despite being frequently complimented on my clean 'queens english' )
We had a cleaning woman who was Singaporean - born and raised and I could't understand a word she said. I use to write instructions...

I also found Singaporeans to be quite repressed.... only in 2007 did it become legal to get a blow job.....
Singapore legalises oral and anal sex but ban stays for homosexuals | World news | guardian.co.uk

and don't even think about being gay....

Retired High Court judge: Gays in Singapore keep it ”quiet” due to gay sex law | Pink Alliance

I was gob-smacked when I was in the cinema and they bleeped out the word 'gay' from a sex and the city trailer.... what century are we in ??

after about 6 months of living there both my husband and I were thinking about leaving and planning how we could get put....and to be honest earn a million air miles escaping to Hong Kong/Thailand and just about anywhere else we could go. would I go back - not at all. If I got free air tickets tomorrow, I'd buy tickets to HK and try to do it without leaving the airport.

Old 06-06-2012, 09:17 PM

^ Yes, even though I think of myself as familiar with Singapore and it's people (mother is Singaporean, although she's far from typical for a Singaporean), there are some things you only know from living there long-term.

Interesting point about the naked admiration they have for wealth or superficial signs of being wealthy and successful...not all are like that, I know many are, but my extended family are Middle class Singaporeans but aren't overtly concerned with materialistic things.

I think it's more the government than the people, although a lot of the people don't seem to really think much for themselves, just accepting what the government tells them. For instance, 90% of Singaporeans support capital punishment (despite the nation's low crime rate). The sex laws are pretty strange, really...the irony is that prostitution is actually technically legal in Singapore but less visible than in Thailand where it's technically illegal! No, not the place to be if you're gay. Of course there are gay Singaporeans, but they have to stay underground.

Old 06-06-2012, 09:26 PM

1,339 posts, read 2,253,805 times
Quote:
^ Yes, even though I think of myself as familiar with Singapore and it's people (mother is Singaporean, although she's far from typical for a Singaporean), there are some things you only know from living there long-term.

Interesting point about the naked admiration they have for wealth or superficial signs of being wealthy and successful...not all are like that, I know many are, but my extended family are Middle class Singaporeans but aren't overtly concerned with materialistic things.

I think it's more the government than the people, although a lot of the people don't seem to really think much for themselves, just accepting what the government tells them. For instance, 90% of Singaporeans support capital punishment (despite the nation's low crime rate). The sex laws are pretty strange, really...the irony is that prostitution is actually technically legal in Singapore but less visible than in Thailand where it's technically illegal! No, not the place to be if you're gay. Of course there are gay Singaporeans, but they have to stay underground.
yes I'd forgotten about the capital punishment... they used to publish statistics about death sentence and caning but stopped because 'foreigners' created a fuss... there are still a lot of punishments..... they just don't tell anyone about them.

Yes definitely an underground gay scenes but its quite sad that in the day and age you can't be openly gay...... maybe they will be ready for same sex marriage in a few decades......

We have friends with young children in international schools in singapore they have a great life, live in helper, live in a complex with a pool and gym etc, safe for the kids. they are bored but accept it for the few years that they will be there...

Old 06-07-2012, 02:52 AM

371 posts, read 841,513 times
I only have second hand experience with Singapore, and I don't wish to ever get first hand experience with that ****hole of a country. Even if my company would offer me ten times the amount I make here in Kraków I would refuse to go there. Same by the way for other countries which are in my opinion similar holes like Saudi or UAE...

Freedom to me is not the kind of freedom that allows you to make $$$ and spend it all on stupid consumerist crap because your workload does not allow you to do anything useful with it, but freedom to me means you can live your life any way you please within the bounds of not being a burden to society in general. Freedom is the ability to write an editorial in the newspaper telling that your head of government has been involved in a corruption scandal, freedom is the ability to get drunk (or even smoke a ton of weed in an ideal situation) in a city park enjoying the sunshine (and obviously cleaning after yourself when you're done), freedom is the ability to practice any religion/cult you please publicly without persecution, even if this religion requires you to ingest peyote every once in a while, or be completely covered if you're a lass, or for all I care, practice ploygamy and believe that those golden plates buried in a hill near Palmyra, NY were actually there for 2600 years... Freedom is the ability to receive a blowjob from your boyfriend and be open about it without risking being arrested...

My ex Dorota, who works for some Warsaw-based NGO, and is involved in gay-rights and feminist activism got invited for some congress there in 2008, and literally did the Jan Paweł II thing after landing in Okęcie, having experienced a truly repressed society for the first time in her life...

Then there is the Warsaw ambassador for Couchsurfing, who is Singaporean, and ended up being frisked at Okęcie airport by the Straż Graniczna where he made a huge scene after they requested him to remove his turban. He then filed a complaint for abuse of his human rights in Poland at arrival in Singapore. However, my (half)brother is half Navajo, and a good part of the Navajo people still practice a religious ceremony that involves peyote. I wonder if the Singaporeans would be so willing to take a complaint into consideration based on human rights abuses if they would arrest a group of Navajo on Raffles square partaking in this ceremony. My gut feeling is that they would very much enjoy hanging them instead...

Then there is that Dutchman who got caught in Changi airport with a good amount of heroin back in the nineties, and although it seemed pretty obvious at the time that the guy was set up, Darshan Singh had absolutely no problem hanging him. I remember that story very well as I was a teenager at the time going to secondary school in the Netherlands and I got the opportunity to go on an exchange to Australia a year later, which I rejected, scared ****less for having to go through Singapore, risking being killed by those idiots if someone would put weed in my suitcase. I also think it's despicable by the Dutch government for not using their armed forces to bust the guy out of Changi prison.

Singapore in my opinion, is one of those countries that just proves to me that Western civilization is still far, far superior to anything that could be found in Asia. They try to emulate Western culture there, but they still don't manage to get anywhere further than the worst parts of our culture, the corporate greed and unfettered consumerism.

Old 06-07-2012, 05:13 AM

7,148 posts, read 7,971,431 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fellowjoe View Post
Singapore has done quite well in certain international rankings such as education and liveable Asian cities recently, and has increasingly become the place to be for investments and employment opportunities for expats the world over.

That said, what is your experience with Singapore and their people? And what do you think of them?

As good as it is as a land of abundant economic opportunities, i personally could not see myself living here my entire life.

cultureless , generic , new money
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or