U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-18-2012, 10:23 AM

2,226 posts, read 3,144,623 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by SEAandATL View Post
Japanese also has similar words to Spanish.

"Casa" means HOUSE in Spanish and UMBRELLA in Japanese
"Tako" (which is pronounced same as "taco") is Japanese for OCTOPUS (there was a funny story about a man who ordered taco salad in Japan and ended not getting what he expected, lol)
If you want a Taco in Japan, you have to ask for takosu.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-19-2012, 09:14 PM

14 posts, read 39,097 times
I dont know much about other languages, but I dont think Chinese sounds like any European languages, as it uses pinyin and it has tones for each word. As far as I know, French has some tone-like things, but it's totally different, I mean, in tones. And Chinese is often spoken not as fast as European languages.

Old 07-20-2012, 04:43 AM

341 posts, read 558,033 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by other99 View Post
Indonesian has borrowed many words from Dutch so the European language closest to Indonesian is Dutch.
Indonesia was colony of Dutch but Indonesian language has nothing with Dutch language. If people use some Dutch words are these words steel Dutch.

Old 07-20-2012, 04:48 AM

341 posts, read 558,033 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by callmemaybe View Post
I think Japanese sounds a bit like Italian, because most of the words seem to end in vowels. Mandarin sounds a bit like French because you hear a lot of 'ah' and 'sh' and it sounds a bit 'froggy' almost like you are plugging your nose to speak it.

Korean ... idk maybe Portuguese? And Vietnamese is a bit like the Asian version of Spanish, it sounds very extroverted.
If Japanese language has similarity with Italian than I am a pope. Read a little more about languages. Try with Linguistics - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia.

Old 06-04-2013, 09:15 PM

1 posts, read 2,688 times
Maybe English and Scottish could be like Hindi and Urdu? English and Hindi seem softer and quieter, whereas Scottish is stronger and heavier, and Urdu is closer to Arabic, which is known to be a strong language.

Old 06-04-2013, 09:41 PM

2,384 posts, read 5,851,414 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by other99 View Post
Filipino language as there are many words derived from Spanish.
Filipino language has 6,000 Spanish words. Spanish was the official language before it actually shifted to English.

In Zamboanga in Mindanao, they speak speak more Spanish as it is a Spanish creolle.

Old 06-04-2013, 09:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dinfog908 View Post
I dont know much about other languages, but I dont think Chinese sounds like any European languages, as it uses pinyin and it has tones for each word. As far as I know, French has some tone-like things, but it's totally different, I mean, in tones. And Chinese is often spoken not as fast as European languages.
Agree !

Old 06-04-2013, 09:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trimac20 View Post
I agree, actually. Both Japanese and Italian sound kind of 'technical', while Mandarin and French actually sound quite poetic and lilting.

Vietnamese and Spanish sound, no offense, kinda 'trashy' and include a lot of shouting.

German maybe sounds very vaguely like Arab?
Spanish spoken in Mexico is very sweet, clear and soft spoken.

Old 06-04-2013, 10:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by callmemaybe View Post
I think Japanese sounds a bit like Italian, because most of the words seem to end in vowels. Mandarin sounds a bit like French because you hear a lot of 'ah' and 'sh' and it sounds a bit 'froggy' almost like you are plugging your nose to speak it.

Korean ... idk maybe Portuguese? And Vietnamese is a bit like the Asian version of Spanish, it sounds very extroverted.
I don't see any similarity with Mandarin and Frances. Chinese might have a lot of "sh" but it doesn't sound like French at all.

Korean doesn't sound anything like Portuguese at all. Don't know about Vietnamese as I never heard Vietnamese language ever but shouldn't it sound more like Frances as it used to be a colony ?

If there is an Asian language closer to Spanish it will have to be Filipino as Filipino language ( Tagalog got 4,000 Spanish words while in the Visayas, they have 6,000 Spanish words). But there is a place in the Philippines called Zamboanga that even speaks closer to Spanish as it is a Spanish creolle.

Old 06-05-2013, 01:45 PM

25,059 posts, read 23,176,735 times
I'd say Tagalog is probably the Asian language most closely associated to Spanish due to Spanish colonization of Las Filipinas for several hundred years. Barring that, I think Japanese would sound the closest to Spanish. It's also the only Asian language that is the easiest for me, as a Spanish native speaker, to pronounce. The vowel sounds are identical except for the 'u' sound which sounds like German ''
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or