U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 11-05-2013, 10:30 PM
 
25,059 posts, read 23,200,755 times
Reputation: 11624

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smtchll View Post
There's so much Spanish and English in a typical Filipino news report that someone who knows English and Spanish may be able to understand a lot just by putting all the words they know together. It's not like that with any other Asian language.


Bus terminals filling up amid long weekend - YouTube

But :27-:45 they'd probably have no clue what is being said, but if she used Spanish numerals instead of Tagalog, it might have been clear what she was saying
I speak both English and Spanish, and I only just got a general idea of what was being said. Without the video images, I would be lost but I know they'd be talking about buses and license plates at the end (placas).

But, the actual Filipino portions of the talking, still sounds stereotypically Asian to me
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 11-05-2013, 10:41 PM
 
3,644 posts, read 9,012,935 times
Reputation: 1798
Quote:
But, the actual Filipino portions of the talking, still sounds stereotypically Asian to me
All of it was Filipino except for the English. You can't separate out the Filipino parts from the Spanish parts. The English parts are examples of code-switching, but the Spanish words are fully integrated into Tagalog.

Last edited by Smtchll; 11-05-2013 at 10:52 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-05-2013, 10:50 PM
 
25,059 posts, read 23,200,755 times
Reputation: 11624
Quote:
Originally Posted by Smtchll View Post
All of it was Filipino except for the English. You can't separate out the Filipino parts from the Spanish parts. The English parts are examples of code-mixing, but the Spanish words are fully Filipino words.
That's like saying Spanish sounds like Arabic because Spanish has a very large stock of words of Arabic origin. Doesn't count. Tagalog (is that what this language/dialect is? I'm guessing so since it's the news) is still a stereotypically sounding Asian language if anything, it remotely sounds similar to Portuguese, maybe some language in the Slavic or Uralic family also
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-05-2013, 10:52 PM
 
3,644 posts, read 9,012,935 times
Reputation: 1798
I'm not saying that Tagalog sounds Spanish, I'm saying that you cant talk about the "Filipino portions" apart from the Spanish because those Spanish words are also Filipino. It was like 75% Filipino, 25% English code-switching

And you didn't understand that it was a "long weekend" and the "pasajeros" were going to the "provincia" "para" "vacacion" and to "voto" in "elections" on "lunes." Many were going by "bus" for the "viaje" so the "bus terminals" were full. That was the main idea really.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-05-2013, 10:53 PM
 
2,241 posts, read 2,677,750 times
Reputation: 424
Quote:
Originally Posted by theunbrainwashed View Post
I speak both English and Spanish, and I only just got a general idea of what was being said. Without the video images, I would be lost but I know they'd be talking about buses and license plates at the end (placas).

But, the actual Filipino portions of the talking, still sounds stereotypically Asian to me
Well what is stereotypically Asian sounding? There is no stereotypical Asian sound. Asia is a vast continent with different cultures, tribes, languages, dialects, and accents. Asians vary culturally and linguistically just like how European nations and cultures vary. Most of Asia is in Russia anyways, Asiatic Russia that is xD.

A continent has so many different customs and peoples.

When I went to Asia I visited a few different nations and you can tell the difference and distinctness.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-05-2013, 10:54 PM
 
25,059 posts, read 23,200,755 times
Reputation: 11624
Quote:
Originally Posted by Smtchll View Post
I'm not saying that Tagalog sounds Spanish, I'm saying that you cant talk about the "Filipino portions" apart from the Spanish because those Spanish words are also Filipino. It was like 75% Filipino, 25% English code-switching

And you didn't understand that it was a "long weekend" and the "pasajeros" were going to the "provincia" "para" "vacacion" and to "voto" in "elections" on "lunes." Many were going by "bus" for the "viaje" so the "bus terminals" were full. That was the main idea really.
Not everything. Just because I know Spanish doesn't mean I won't understand the accent. I know English as well, doesn't mean I'm going to understand everything a Jamaican is saying, right?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-05-2013, 10:55 PM
 
3,644 posts, read 9,012,935 times
Reputation: 1798
^ Yeah, besides saying "stereotypical Asian" tell me what language it sounds like. Vietnamese? I dont think so, but maybe to you. Chinese? Faaar off from that. Japanese? No. Malaysian? Possibly.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-05-2013, 10:56 PM
 
25,059 posts, read 23,200,755 times
Reputation: 11624
Quote:
Originally Posted by MelismaticEchoes View Post
Well what is stereotypically Asian sounding? There is no stereotypical Asian sound. Asia is a vast continent with different cultures, tribes, languages, dialects, and accents. Asians vary culturally and linguistically just like how European nations and cultures vary. Most of Asia is in Russia anyways, Asiatic Russia that is xD.

A continent has so many different customs and peoples.

When I went to Asia I visited a few different nations and you can tell the difference and distinctness.
Ok....there is a reason why I said stereotypically Asian. Keyword being stereotypical
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-05-2013, 11:04 PM
 
25,059 posts, read 23,200,755 times
Reputation: 11624
Quote:
Originally Posted by Smtchll View Post
^ Yeah, besides saying "stereotypical Asian" tell me what language it sounds like. Vietnamese? I dont think so, but maybe to you. Chinese? Faaar off from that. Japanese? No. Malaysian? Possibly.
Stereotype: Sociology . a simplified and standardized conception or image invested with special meaning and held in common by members of a group:

Stereotype | Define Stereotype at Dictionary.com

It's hard for me to explain to someone from Asia what sounds stereotypically Asian. But, trust me that we do have an "image" of what most Asian languages sound like to us
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-05-2013, 11:12 PM
 
3,644 posts, read 9,012,935 times
Reputation: 1798
^ the stereotype is in your head. You see Asians, you hear Asians. Unless you can point out specific things that sound similar to other Asian languages. Perhaps the large amount of "ng" endings in Tagalog sound like all the "ng" endings in Chinese. But I dont think Chinese is the language that sounds closest to Tagalog. It's probably Indonesian
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top