U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 11-05-2013, 11:23 PM
 
25,059 posts, read 23,205,177 times
Reputation: 11624

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smtchll View Post
^ the stereotype is in your head. You see Asians, you hear Asians. Unless you can point out specific things that sound similar to other Asian languages. Perhaps the large amount of "ng" endings in Tagalog sound like all the "ng" endings in Chinese. But I dont think Chinese is the language that sounds closest to Tagalog. It's probably Indonesian
Now you get what I'm saying

That's all that it is. It's all in your head. Anyway, going back on topic, even though Tagalog has an impressive inventory of Spanish words in it, I still don't think it sounds remotely Spanish. As I said before, Spanish has a lot of words from Arabic, but the language sounds nothing like Arabic. Maybe to you, as an outsider, it does? I don't know. But the Spanish flows great with the Tagalog, the English sounds extremely out of place; especially with the over enunciation of the words
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 11-05-2013, 11:27 PM
 
3,644 posts, read 9,014,353 times
Reputation: 1798
Quote:
Originally Posted by theunbrainwashed View Post
Now you get what I'm saying

That's all that it is. It's all in your head. Anyway, going back on topic, even though Tagalog has an impressive inventory of Spanish words in it, I still don't think it sounds remotely Spanish. As I said before, Spanish has a lot of words from Arabic, but the language sounds nothing like Arabic. Maybe to you, as an outsider, it does? I don't know. But the Spanish flows great with the Tagalog, the English sounds extremely out of place; especially with the over enunciation of the words
This is something I've always said, that's why I cringe at the English words. But I've noticed recently that the news people are saying more Spanish words where they used to say English words. A simple word like "accidente," maybe a couple years ago they were all saying "accident," but now it seems they're going back to Spanish. The Spanish words just fits better
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-05-2013, 11:37 PM
 
Location: Czech Republic
2,384 posts, read 5,858,808 times
Reputation: 797
My husband is Portuguese and sometimes when he watches Filipino news, he understands a little as long as he listens really well and put all Spanish words together. It's not all the time of course.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-05-2013, 11:37 PM
 
25,059 posts, read 23,205,177 times
Reputation: 11624
Quote:
Originally Posted by Smtchll View Post
This is something I've always said, that's why I cringe at the English words. But I've noticed recently that the news people are saying more Spanish words where they used to say English words. A simple word like "accidente," maybe a couple years ago they were all saying "accident," but now it seems they're going back to Spanish. The Spanish words just fits better
It does. English is too difficult to incorporate in some languages to the point where it sounds so obvious and wrong lol. Like in that video, bus maaaaangament. Would have flowed far better if they had said gerencía de guaguas
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-05-2013, 11:40 PM
 
Location: Czech Republic
2,384 posts, read 5,858,808 times
Reputation: 797
Quote:
Originally Posted by theunbrainwashed View Post
It does. English is too difficult to incorporate in some languages to the point where it sounds so obvious and wrong lol. Like in that video, bus maaaaangament. Would have flowed far better if they had said gerencía de guaguas
Yes how I wish Filipino language didn't absorb any English word any more, sounds ugly and seems like it's ruining the language.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-05-2013, 11:44 PM
 
25,059 posts, read 23,205,177 times
Reputation: 11624
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hermosaa View Post
Yes how I wish Filipino language didn't absorb any English word any more, sounds ugly and seems like it's ruining the language.
It sounded atrocious to me. Like they were trying hard to be cool or something. Same with election. Why say election when eleción fits better?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-05-2013, 11:46 PM
 
3,644 posts, read 9,014,353 times
Reputation: 1798
Quote:
Originally Posted by theunbrainwashed View Post
It does. English is too difficult to incorporate in some languages to the point where it sounds so obvious and wrong lol. Like in that video, bus maaaaangament. Would have flowed far better if they had said gerencía de guaguas
Isn't guaguas just Carribean Spanish? They say "autobus" in most other parts. Maybe that's why you didn't catch a lot of the Spanish words in the video. Our Spanish comes from Mexico


Quote:
Originally Posted by theunbrainwashed View Post
It sounded atrocious to me. Like they were trying hard to be cool or something. Same with election. Why say election when eleción fits better?
They usually pronounce it "elekshoon" with the stress on the last syllable. That's how the "cion" is pronounced by Filipinos. When they say "election" it's English code-switching, but "elekshoon" is Filipino. There is a lot of that going on, you can say the English word or the Filipinized Spanish word.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-06-2013, 12:00 AM
 
25,059 posts, read 23,205,177 times
Reputation: 11624
Quote:
Originally Posted by Smtchll View Post
Isn't guaguas just Carribean Spanish? They say "autobus" in most other parts. Maybe that's why you didn't catch a lot of the Spanish words in the video. Our Spanish comes from Mexico




They usually pronounce it "elekshoon" with the stress on the last syllable. That's how the "cion" is pronounced by Filipinos. When they say "election" it's English code-switching, but "elekshoon" is Filipino. There is a lot of that going on, you can say the English word or the Filipinized Spanish word.
That's probably why. My Spanish is significantly different from Mexico's.


canario en puerto rico - YouTube

This is Canarian Spanish, but it is 95% similar to Puerto Rican Spanish and this is basically how I talk in everyday speech
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-06-2013, 12:07 AM
 
3,644 posts, read 9,014,353 times
Reputation: 1798
Yeah, the "swallowing of S's" is hard for me to listen to because I'm not used to it. It makes me feel out of breath just by listening to it

On a related note, I was just watching another Filipino news report from today and the report said "traffic" but then corrected herself and said "trapiko" I think someone is telling these people to use the Spanish words instead of English, thank God. I've noticed this a lot lately, on both major TV stations.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-06-2013, 12:53 AM
 
Location: Filipinas
1,761 posts, read 6,972,681 times
Reputation: 402
Quote:
Originally Posted by Smtchll View Post
Isn't guaguas just Carribean Spanish? They say "autobus" in most other parts. Maybe that's why you didn't catch a lot of the Spanish words in the video. Our Spanish comes from Mexico




They usually pronounce it "elekshoon" with the stress on the last syllable. That's how the "cion" is pronounced by Filipinos. When they say "election" it's English code-switching, but "elekshoon" is Filipino. There is a lot of that going on, you can say the English word or the Filipinized Spanish word.
Yeah there are some Mexican Spanish words that's different in Spanish in Spain. like we are using in Filipino the Kumadre and Kumpadre of Mexican Spanish Comadre/Compadre and Spain do not use that term. Mercado is one of the Mexican Spanish.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top