U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Choose your overall favorite in the poll:
Taiwan 15 44.12%
South Korea 11 32.35%
Thailand 8 23.53%
Voters: 34. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-12-2012, 04:27 PM

6,066 posts, read 10,848,039 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by xeric View Post
Out of the three, I've only been to Thailand. I loved it and would go back if there weren't so many other countries on my "to see" list. The food (Thai food is my favorite), culture (even in places where it's been westernized to some extent, I got the feeling that it was a superficial westernization that was simply to allow the locals to make some money off the tourist trade), history, and architecture are all big draws. It's also got a good infrastructure so it's easy to travel there. And I love to visit tropical areas, especially when they combine mountains with beaches. I didn't care for the backpacking scene so if I went back I would try to find some beach areas that are less on the backpacking trail.

As for the other two, I would choose Taiwan over South Korea, mostly because I think it would be the best place to experience traditional Chinese culture (no cultural revolution). In fact, Taiwan is on my A list of countries to visit. I'd probably enjoy South Korea.
I am surprised I forgot to respond to this post!

What are all of the other countries on your to see list?

There is also lots of countries on my to see list, but Thailand is near the top of that list.

I plan to go to Thailand in a few years. I really want to visit and it has a lot of intrigue, charm, and appeal to me. I already know a lot about Thailand even though I did not visit yet. I had a lot of discussions with some people about it.

The culture, architecture, and food are some attractions. It is also pleasantly exotic, nice cities/towns such as Bangkok, Phuket, Chiang Mai, and also scenic beaches.

Thailand appears very easygoing/relaxing/laid back, easy to be content in, while still being vibrant.

A lot of the Thai restaurants I went to in the USA and how those restaurants looked like in ambiance, other than the food, certainly makes Thailand seem great.

I am not bias to weather/climate. Life is about so much more than just weather. There is lots of places I enjoy all over the world, regardless of their weather

I also would choose Taiwan over South Korea. However, South Korea is still one of my favorite Asian countries, just a bit lower for my preferences than Taiwan.

China, Thailand, Japan, Taiwan, South Korea, Vietnam, India, and Singapore are all of my favorite Asian countries.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-12-2012, 11:20 PM

1,477 posts, read 2,370,744 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thepastpresentandfuture View Post

There is also lots of countries on my to see list, but Thailand is near the top of that list.

I plan to go to Thailand in a few years. I really want to visit and it has a lot of intrigue, charm, and appeal to me. I already know a lot about Thailand even though I did not visit yet. I had a lot of discussions with some people about it.

The culture, architecture, and food are some attractions. It is also pleasantly exotic, nice cities/towns such as Bangkok, Phuket, Chiang Mai, and also scenic beaches.

Thailand appears very easygoing/relaxing/laid back, easy to be content in, while still being vibrant.

A lot of the Thai restaurants I went to in the USA and how those restaurants looked like in ambiance, other than the food, certainly makes Thailand seem great.

I am not bias to weather/climate. Life is about so much more than just weather. There is lots of places I enjoy all over the world, regardless of their weather

I also would choose Taiwan over South Korea. However, South Korea is still one of my favorite Asian countries, just a bit lower for my preferences than Taiwan.

China, Thailand, Japan, Taiwan, South Korea, Vietnam, India, and Singapore are all of my favorite Asian countries.
I've been to India several times (loved it but in a different way then Thailand - more of a constant adrenaline rush). I'd have to say that Asia is my favorite continent overall, but I haven't been to mainland South America so the next country on my list is Peru. Other countries on my "A" list are Vietnam, Burma, Cambodia, Japan, and Brazil. But since I'm married, I have to take my wife's preferences into account too. We are in agreement on Peru as our next international trip.

Old 07-13-2012, 08:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by xeric View Post
I've been to India several times (loved it but in a different way then Thailand - more of a constant adrenaline rush). I'd have to say that Asia is my favorite continent overall, but I haven't been to mainland South America so the next country on my list is Peru. Other countries on my "A" list are Vietnam, Burma, Cambodia, Japan, and Brazil. But since I'm married, I have to take my wife's preferences into account too. We are in agreement on Peru as our next international trip.
Europe, Asia, and North America are equally all of my favorite continents. There is a lot to enjoy, have interest for, and so much that they offer.

South America/Central America is easily below those other 3 continents/regions for my preferences, but even with that region there is still a few places I still would enjoy visiting. I would not want to visit South America/Central America again until I visit a lot more European and Asian places.

Peru is one of the few places I would like to visit in South America.

Which specific places did you visit in India?

Mumbai, Delhi, Shimla, Punjab, Indian Himalayas mountains, all the tropical beaches, Srinagar, Bangalore, Goa, and Chennai appear to be the best places to visit in that country for me.

India has quite an extreme mix of opinions from different people.

Personally, I believe the more optimistic positive opinions and think I would enjoy India and find more good than bad.

India is a country with high variation of regional differences so certain specific areas that I mentioned is much better than other areas of India. The problems India does have I predict will be fixed in the near future with the rapidly growing economy and investment.

Next year, I plan to go to UK/England, France, Netherlands, and Belgium. I already went to UK and France before but I would love to go again.

The year after that, China or Thailand.

Around 3 years later, Romania and other nearby countries. I already went to Romania before but I have to go again for family reasons with a lot of family living in the Black Sea coast of Romania. I probably will go on a road trip around the Black Sea coast from Romania to Bulgaria again, then Turkey, and after that extensively visit the country of Georgia in Batumi/Black Sea coastline, Caucasus mountains, and the city of Tbilisi.

A lot of Americans still don’t know there is a country called Georgia that exists in between Europe and Asia. They assume it is the state of Georgia in the southern USA.

The European Georgia (well usually Georgia is considered more European than Asian) is so much better and so different from the other Georgia.

I would also love to go Taiwan and South Korea eventually but there is so many other places I have to see before I go there.

Old 07-13-2012, 09:05 PM

24,683 posts, read 45,393,502 times
^ Sounds like you're really curious about the world, mate! And in a deeper way, rather than just wanting to see the sights.

I too want to visit India soon. Anyone who is interested in different cultures HAS to visit if they can. It's so ancient, vast, complex, and fascinating...sure it's stuck in another era in some ways, that's part of it's charm but also has it's dark side (like the caste system). Nowhere is perfect and we can only hope that the bad things change while they retain their rich cultural legacy.

Old 07-13-2012, 11:49 PM

1,477 posts, read 2,370,744 times
Quote:
Which specific places did you visit in India?
The first time, my wife and I spent close to two months there. We flew into Bombay and bought a railway pass. Other places we visited (rather then just passing through): Khajaraho, Agra, Delhi, Simla, Darjeeling, Calcutta, Madras, Mahabalipuram, Trivandrum, Mysore, Ooty, Madurai, and Trichy.

The other two times I went for work and didn't do much touring. Flew into Delhi and worked in Dehra Dun. I did take a trip up to a hill station called Mussoorie.

Old 07-19-2012, 02:29 PM

218 posts, read 590,841 times
South Korea is a very beautiful and picturesque country. It's funny how underrated this country is interms of tourism. It has an interesting culture and one of the best cuisines in the world.

Overall, I would rank these countries at S. Korea first, Taiwan second then Thailand third.
Thailand has a notorious monsoon season and a horribly humid hot summer. And there's still many areas in Bangkok that needs improvement. Although nothing can compare to Thailand's nightlife. One of the best in the world.

Old 07-19-2012, 09:01 PM

14 posts, read 39,097 times
I'll rank South Korea, Taiwan then Thailand as to likeness, in brief and general.

Old 10-12-2012, 02:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrunkSam View Post
South Korea is a very beautiful and picturesque country. It's funny how underrated this country is in terms of tourism. It has an interesting culture and one of the best cuisines in the world.

Overall, I would rank these countries at S. Korea first, Taiwan second then Thailand third.
Thailand has a notorious monsoon season and a horribly humid hot summer. And there's still many areas in Bangkok that needs improvement. Although nothing can compare to Thailand's nightlife. One of the best in the world.
South Korea does appear to be one of the most underrated countries in the world for both visiting and living in.

It is mostly because South Korea still accidentally gets mixed up with North Korea too much, especially with the excessive sensationalism and stigmatization in the media with North Korea. There is not enough attention and respect being given for the positive qualities of South Korea and to show how different it became from North Korea. It is the media’s fault with how they portray that region of the world, just how it is the media’s fault for plenty of other topics that they try to portray.

South Korea and North Korea may have some of the same history and language, but that is where the similarities end.

They became entirely different places with everything else in the past 60 years. South Korea is one of the most wealthiest, developed, modern, and democratic/free government countries in the world that is a lot more open to other countries/cultures.

Compare that to North Korea, which is one of the poorest, undeveloped, oppressive government countries in the world, and very closed off and isolated from other countries. These 2 countries also have lots of conflict with each other.

South Korea has one of the largest megalopolis in the world with Seoul literally having 10 million people and 20 million+ in that metropolitan area, and plenty of other smaller but still heavily populated major cities that are unknown to the world compared to Seoul such as the cities of Busan, Daegu, Gwangju, Daejeon, and Ulsan. South Korea also has a lot of lush hilly/mountainous 4 seasons nature scenery, and the coastal beaches become warm and tropical during the summer.

South Korea does not look to North Korea for anything valuable. South Korea probably looks to Japan as a role model and for cultural influence.

Thailand and Taiwan are also very interesting, and offer plenty with good, impressive qualities about them. I like them even more than South Korea.

However, I became more realistic with Thailand lately. Taiwan I still view in a bit more of an idealistic/perfect way.

Old 10-12-2012, 07:26 PM

24,683 posts, read 45,393,502 times
Quote:

Thailand would be nicer with less tourists, but on the plus side it makes it a little cheap and they're a bit more competitive. Not as cheap as Vietnam, Cambodia, Laos though. In fact the touristy areas can be downright expensive for SE Asian standards.

I really think you shouldn't draw conclusions about Malaysia until you visit, I still think it's one of the best Asian countries to visit.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or