U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Choose your overall favorite in the poll:
Taiwan 15 44.12%
South Korea 11 32.35%
Thailand 8 23.53%
Voters: 34. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-15-2012, 02:28 AM

6,056 posts, read 10,837,768 times

Advertisements

These 3 Asian countries appears to be easy to discuss together, and can encourage a lot of thought provoking responses. I also would like to see people's preferences for their overall favorite and least favorite country out of the selected options in Asia.

I created a European and Asian version with 3 countries being selected in each continent/region and established a similar theme/pattern while being in different continents. For the European version of this thread topic, you can view it here: http://www.city-data.com/forum/world/1609501-italy-vs-spain-vs-germany.html

These are some specific characteristics/qualities that can be discussed: *You can either pick just one country in these categories as your most favorite for that, or rank all 3 countries there from most favorite to least favorite. Try to include some brief explanations if you want to.

Other aspects of this topic can be talked about too but we should try to focus on these categories and questions first before that:

Excitement/Things To Do

Cities/Towns

Nature scenery

Culture

Quality of life

Music scene

Food/Dining scene

Education

Politics/Government

Economy

History

Nightlife

Architecture

Number of annual foreign visitors

Sociological/racial/ethnic diversity

Most peaceful to least peaceful

Least corrupted to most corrupted

Most impressive to least impressive

How do people in Taiwan, South Korea, and Thailand view each other?

Which two countries are most similar to each other?

What single country is most different from the other 2 countries?

What country would you choose to live in and is best for that?

What country do you think is best to visit?

Last edited by Thepastpresentandfuture; 06-15-2012 at 03:04 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-15-2012, 03:15 AM

24,683 posts, read 45,352,353 times
Excitement/Things To Do
Cities/Towns South Korea, then Taiwan/Thailand
Nature scenery Taiwan, actually, since I love their mountains and they are an underrated tourist destination. Thailand second, although I feel it's too overrun with tourists and prefer Burma or Vietnam for scenery. There are a few lovely beaches but many are so crowded.
Culture Hard to say, really, they're all so different. Taiwan is mostly Chinese culture IMO with a bit of aboriginal/tribal culture. I'll maybe go with Thailand.
Quality of life South Korea, Taiwan, Thailand
Music scene I know South Korean and Taiwanese pop is huge throughout Asia, not sure if they have a decent 'serious muso's' scene. Thai music isn't big outside Thailand.
Food/Dining scene Thai food is my favourite out of the three, then Korean, then Taiwanese.
Education Not idea.
Politics/Government No idea, none seem too corrupt or anything. Thais still revere the King.
Economy South Korea and Taiwan were the two 'tiger economies', but Thailand is coming up.
History Thailand actually seems to have the most interesting history of the three.
Nightlife Very different. Thailand is great for cheap partying, but there's too many go go bars/sleaze. Taiwan has that sleaze too, but has a more 'sophisticated' scene. I hear Koreans really like to party hard, and are the biggest drinkers in Asia.
Architecture To be honest Korean architecture seems derivative of Chinese, as does Taiwanese. Thai architecture seems the grandest/most extravagant.
Number of annual foreign visitors I think Thailand wins this one decisively.
Sociological/racial/ethnic diversity All three are pretty ethnically homogeneous. You're more likely to see foreigners in Thailand, so I'll pick that.
Most peaceful to least peaceful All seem pretty peaceful, although there has been a bit of political unrest in Thailand of late.
Least corrupted to most corrupted No idea, I've heard claims that the current Thai PM and her brother, the former PM, may be involved in corruption but she seems well liked nonetheless.
Most impressive to least impressive Hard to say. I'd say overall Taiwan, actually, especially the combination of modernity and scenery.

How do people in Taiwan, South Korea, and Thailand view each other?
I think Taiwan has closer links to Korea/Japan than China because of being capitalist. I think the pop music, movies, culture.etc are somewhat well known in each. Korean pop culture in particular seems pretty popular in Thailand, as do Korean styles.etc. I think they're definitely beginning to rival Western culture throughout most of Asia.

I see more Korean tourists everywhere, including Thailand. Probably some Taiwanese too. South Korea and Taiwan are just emerging tourist markets.

I think all three get along fairly well, there is no real history of animosity between say like China and Japan.

Both South Korea and Taiwan are in the Sinosphere, although culturally Korean culture is pretty different. Taiwanese culture is mostly Chinese derived. Both stand out as having modern, high-tech cities with advanced public transport, and both have a more temperate feel than Thailand, so clearly Thailand stands out. In some ways, however, Thailand has more of a direct Chinese cultural influence than Korea (the Dai people come from China and 40% of Thais have ethnic Han ancestry

See above

That's a tough one. I'd still probably say South Korea, although if you're an expat in Bangkok or Phuket life can be good depending on what you enjoy

Thailand for a relaxing, cheap vacation, although South Korea and Taiwan also seem interesting.

I've only been to Thailand but I'll have a stab.

Overall I'd say it's very close but Thailand just.

Old 06-15-2012, 08:33 PM

15,943 posts, read 36,144,182 times
Thailand is the tourist/backpacker etc. darling of Asia. Best places with the best bang for your buck. If someone is going to travel somewhere, that's the place of the three.

Thailand has other annoyances though...way too much prostitution, and way too many lady-boys also getting into that, and they're everywhere.

South Korea has a ton of nightlife, and really rages all night. But, Korea is more 'for the Koreans'. I lived there for many years, and loved it. I don't know many visitors who love it though. It's an acquired taste, and can be great fun, but not as interesting for the short-term visitor.

Taiwan is the quiet one. Thailand and Korea have a lot of nightlife. Taiwan is more known for being tea-drinking and relaxed, etc. People are very nice there. It's a 'nice' place.

Viewing each other. Koreans view Thais as being prostitutes. I don't know how Koreans would view Taiwan, but Koreans have a fairly negative view of mainland China.

Thai people seem to quite like Korea though. Korean culture through K-Pop and Korean movies is everywhere in Asia, and most people in southeast asia seem to love it. Plus Koreans are light-skinned, which seems to be popular among southeast Asians.

Of the three, Thailand is the most different from Korea and Taiwan. Both Korea and Taiwan have more confucianism and more northeast asia thinking, which is just completely different than southeast asia. For accepting, southeast asians, like thais, are much more accepting of gays, transvestites, transgenders, etc. and they are a part of the culture. You would never see that in Korea, it's extremely underground there. Taiwan leans much more on the conservative side of things as well. Thailand is just 'out there' with acceptable of seemingly everything, to a certain degree, at least comparingly.

Country for living. Thailand attracts everyone. Personally, I'm not too crazy about Thailand, but most people generally are crazy about Thailand. They all have benefits and negatives. Korea is great for making money, whereas Thailand is horrible for making money, etc. Taiwan is in the middle.

Best to visit, Thailand.

Old 06-15-2012, 09:58 PM

78,526 posts, read 70,430,585 times
You left out pollution level. Taiwan is beautiful, but I'm told the air has become polluted since I was there.
Taiwan has the best Chinese food in Asia, and has many restaurants that specialize in creative vegetarian dishes, as well as regular chinese restaurants. Some of the food the street vendors sell is great, too.

There are many beautiful places to visit around the island. My favorite is an island off the coast populated by aboriginal people who still live traditionally. Nice beaches for swimming. Almost no Chinese around. The aboriginal people are really nice.
The National Museum in Taipei is great.

Politically, it has loosened up a lot and is no longer in control of the KMT, Chiang Kai-Sheck's party.
Not much nightlife in Taiwan, as someone already noted, which suits me just fine.
Quality of life is very good. Taiwan, like S. Korea, is one of the Asian Tiger economies. It's really come up in the world.

You didn't mention health issues. Hepatitis is endemic to Taiwan, or used to be. I have no idea if they've made any effort to resolve that problem. I imagine Thailand has its problems in that regard, too.

Good climate. Korea can be cold. Taiwan's more tropical. It's very lush and beautiful, with dramatic mountains and river gorges in the middle of the island, bamboo forests, isolated Buddhist monasteries by dramatic seascapes, it's very rich in natural beauty.

Old 06-15-2012, 11:20 PM

15,943 posts, read 36,144,182 times
I'm actually thinking about the 'which country would I prefer to live' question.

Originally, I was thinking 'none of the above'. Mostly because I already lived in Korea for 7 years, and I prefer Japan for living. I've never personally liked Thailand all that much, although I would admit it pretty much has everything a person could possibly want and more.

So, I think I'd choose Taiwan. It is quite lush and tropical, with beaches and nice scenery. Plus it's a million times more comfortable than mainland China, and a person would still be constantly exposed to the Chinese language, which is globally important for the future. The future seems to be with China anyways. But Taiwan seems like a much better variation of it.

Old 06-16-2012, 12:25 AM

460 posts, read 720,594 times
Taiwan
Thailand
South Korea

Old 06-16-2012, 12:36 AM

369 posts, read 799,502 times
Excitement/Things To Do
South Korea. The 4 seasons, ski resort, hot springs, theme parks like Lotte World/Yong-in Everland, limitless shopping sprees especially at Dongdaemun, etc.

Apart from food, shopping and exploration of the indigeneous villages (i.e. Alishan), that's just about it in Taiwan. Thailand is good if you're into beach resorts, the Thai culture and looking for the most value-for-money trip.

Cities/Towns
By far, Seoul. Not only is it larger and thus have more activities lined up, but its more metropolitan too i guess.

Culture
A tie between South Korea and Thailand. The former's history and culture has been heavily influenced by Japan and China for decades while i think the latter's share some similarities with China and neighbours like Cambodia and Myanmar.

Quality of life
None is necessarily better over the other here.

South Korea is constantly on tenterhooks because of its animosity with the North and same applies to Taiwan due to China. The education system in both countries emphasised heavily on paper qualifications as it is the main means of getting into a stable job, thus depriving students of an innocent and happy childhood. South Korea: Kids, Stop Studying So Hard! - TIME

Also, both nationalities are among the worst workaholics across the world.

Though cost of living in Thailand is cheap, their economy is not nearly as developed as South Korea and Taiwan and social infrastructure such as efficient medical services and facilities and education are lacking.

Music scene
South Korea/Taiwan.

Depends on whether you prefer K-pop or Mandarin pop. I would prefer Japanese pop though.

Food/Dining scene
Taiwanese cuisine for me. I should think its healthier and less heaty than Thai and Korean food which are often spicy and barbequed respectively.

To each his own though.

Education
Can't comment on Thailand.

Though the South Korean system is one of the best in the world, its far from perfect - kids are not working smart enough. No creativity.

Refer to Quality life.

Politics/Government
South Korea by far. Apart from Japan, its the only other truly democratic Asian country i can think of.

One similarity with Taiwan though is the prevalence of corruption in government.

Considering the constant changes to the vacuum of power in the Thai parliament and the mass protests by the Red Shirts, Thailand is definitely politically unstable.

History
South Korea's history seems more interesting given how big a role the Japanese and Chinese played in it in the 19th to 20th century.

Taiwan is still relatively young.

Nightlife
South Korea!

Considering its huge binge culture, nightlife there should be quite varied and active i guess.

Most peaceful to least peaceful
South Korea and Taiwan, Thailand

Least corrupted to most corrupted
A tie between Taiwan and South Korea.

The Thai government is more corrupted.

South Korea and Taiwan. Both are historically similar in that they were occupied by Japan and also politically strong proponents of the democratic system.

Taiwan. Just so that i can save up enough funds to settle in Japan later on

South Korea partly because of its 4 seasons. But if Japan is on this list, it wins hands down.

Old 06-16-2012, 05:27 AM

10,422 posts, read 12,406,700 times
Excitement/Things To Do:
Thailand, South Korea, Taiwan

Cities/Towns:
South Korea, Thailand, Taiwan

Nature scenery:

Culture:

Quality of life:
South Korea, Taiwan, Thailand

Music scene:

Food/Dining scene:

Education:

Politics/Government:

Economy:

History:

Nightlife:

Architecture:

Number of annual foreign visitors:

Sociological/racial/ethnic diversity:
Thailand, Taiwan, South Korea

Most peaceful to least peaceful:
Taiwan, South Korea, Thailand

Least corrupted to most corrupted:

Most impressive to least impressive:

South Korea-Taiwan

Thailand

Old 06-17-2012, 04:18 PM

1,473 posts, read 2,367,422 times
Out of the three, I've only been to Thailand. I loved it and would go back if there weren't so many other countries on my "to see" list. The food (Thai food is my favorite), culture (even in places where it's been westernized to some extent, I got the feeling that it was a superficial westernization that was simply to allow the locals to make some money off the tourist trade), history, and architecture are all big draws. It's also got a good infrastructure so it's easy to travel there. And I love to visit tropical areas, especially when they combine mountains with beaches. I didn't care for the backpacking scene so if I went back I would try to find some beach areas that are less on the backpacking trail.

As for the other two, I would choose Taiwan over South Korea, mostly because I think it would be the best place to experience traditional Chinese culture (no cultural revolution). In fact, Taiwan is on my A list of countries to visit. I'd probably enjoy South Korea, but I'm put off by the strong evangelical Christian movement that has taken hold there. If I wanted that, there are plenty of places in my own country that are much less expensive to visit.

Old 06-18-2012, 09:48 PM

6,056 posts, read 10,837,768 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trimac20 View Post
Excitement/Things To Do
Cities/Towns South Korea, then Taiwan/Thailand
Is that rank exactly the same for both Excitement/Things to Do and Cities/Towns?

Thailand has Bangkok/Phuket/Chiang Mai/Pattaya so it has quite a nice variety of cities/towns options.
South Korea and Taiwan’s cities/towns options is much more elusive to me.

South Korea has Seoul and Taiwan has Taipei, but what other great cities/towns do they both have? I assume they have other great cities/towns too and may reach or even surpass Thailand’s level in cities/towns options. Or maybe Thailand has the best variety of cities/towns options?

Excitement/Things to do and what someone looks for in that can vary a lot depending on the individual so the answers for that can depend on someone’s preferences.

Quote:
Nature scenery Taiwan, actually, since I love their mountains and they are an underrated tourist destination. Thailand second, although I feel it's too overrun with tourists and prefer Burma or Vietnam for scenery. There are a few lovely beaches but many are so crowded.
For nature scenery, Taiwan does probably win, even though all 3 countries have impressive nature scenery.

I like that Taiwan has subtropical/tropical beaches and a lot of mountainous scenery all over the island to complement that. Thailand has good tropical scenery and beaches but it lacks mountains.
South Korea probably has good 4 seasons/more temperate type of scenery, maybe similar to Northern Japan/Central Japan in nature scenery.

Quote:
Music scene I know South Korean and Taiwanese pop is huge throughout Asia, not sure if they have a decent 'serious muso's' scene. Thai music isn't big outside Thailand.
For music scene, other than original music from there, I also was referring to the music preferences the people have in those countries and music concerts/festivals options.

I assume that a lot of people in Thailand, South Korea, and Taiwan listen to Rock n’Roll and Electronic/Trance/House and that is great. I don’t know what Asian pop music is like but it probably combines rock n’roll/electronic trance and is much better than the pop music in the USA/UK England.

Quote:
Food/Dining scene Thai food is my favorite out of the three, then Korean, then Taiwanese.
For food/cuisine I was referring to original food from there but also the level of cosmopolitan food options those countries have. It seems like those 3 countries have a lot of types of cuisine, other than the original cuisine they have.

Is Taiwanese cuisine exactly similar to Southern Mainland China Sczehuan/Cantonese food? One of my favorite cuisines is Thai. I also enjoy Southern Chinese food.

Quote:
Economy South Korea and Taiwan were the two 'tiger economies', but Thailand is coming up.
That is true in economy and that Thailand is catching up with the wealthiest Asian nations such as South Korea/Taiwan, but it still has some more catching up to do.

Quote:
Architecture To be honest Korean architecture seems derivative of Chinese, as does Taiwanese. Thai architecture seems the grandest/most extravagant.
For Architecture, Thailand does appear to have the most grandiose/extravagant architecture with a nice blend of historic and modern. Also, varying density levels, at least in Bangkok.

Taiwan may be close behind. I wonder how much of Taiwan’s architecture is similar to Taipei 101/Tuntex Sky tower buildings/and the national palace museum. Those are nice impressive buildings.

South Korea is clearly in last place, but it still has some good architecture too.
Quote:
Both South Korea and Taiwan are in the Sinosphere, although culturally Korean culture is pretty different. Taiwanese culture is mostly Chinese derived. Both stand out as having modern, high-tech cities with advanced public transport, and both have a more temperate feel than Thailand, so clearly Thailand stands out. In some ways, however, Thailand has more of a direct Chinese cultural influence than Korea (the Dai people come from China and 40% of Thais have ethnic Han ancestry
That is true South Korea-Taiwan are much more similar to each other compared to Thailand that stands out more.

However, I wonder to what extent South Korea-Taiwan’s similarities are and I assume they still have noticeable/substantial differences from each other.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or