Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-27-2008, 01:33 PM

983 posts, read 3,597,568 times

Advertisements

Central Asians (Uzbekistanis, Kazakhstanis, Tajikistanis, Turkmenistanis, Kyrgyzstanis) are considered White in the US Census?
I've always thought they counted as Asians.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-27-2008, 01:36 PM

21,144 posts, read 42,120,382 times
I know that North Africans, Arabs, Iranians, etc. also counted as 'Anglo'--------at least here in Arizona.

Old 05-27-2008, 01:40 PM

Unhappy Central Asian = White

The official definition of the 2000 Census doesn't help either:

White. A person having origins in any of the original peoples of Europe, the Middle East, or North Africa. It includes people who indicate their race as "White" or report entries such as Irish, German, Italian, Lebanese, Near Easterner, Arab, or Polish.

Asian. A person having origins in any of the original peoples of the Far East, Southeast Asia, or the Indian subcontinent including, for example, Cambodia, China, India, Japan, Korea, Malaysia, Pakistan, the Philippine Islands, Thailand, and Vietnam. It includes "Asian Indian," "Chinese," "Filipino," "Korean," "Japanese," "Vietnamese," and "Other Asian."

Central Asians are mentioned in none of them.

Old 05-27-2008, 01:45 PM

9,963 posts, read 18,492,357 times
Couldn't they have both?

I believe the indigenous people would be Asians.
However thru decades of immigration I would bet it mostly White, but white like Turkish and Armenian (Yellow)White, and some Russian White.

Old 05-27-2008, 02:29 PM

3,368 posts, read 11,667,463 times
Genetically, Central Asian people are a mixture of Causasian and Asiatic (what you would picture as typical East Asian). However, depending where you are in Central Asia, some people are mostly Caucasian (and look it) and some people are mostly Asiatic (and look it). The US Census counts Central Asians as Caucasian. There are actually some "white" neighborhoods in Queens with large Central Asian immigrant populations from Uzbekistan, Turkmenistan, Kazahstan, etc. These people look a lot more Caucasian than Asiatic.

Old 05-27-2008, 02:31 PM

Default Central Asians

Well, there's a considerable number of Pakistanis and Indians who are White, yet they would still be considered Asians.

Is the majority of the population in Central Asia White?

How many Central Asians are there in North America?

Old 05-27-2008, 02:36 PM

Default Central Asians

Quote:
Originally Posted by crisp444 View Post
Genetically, Central Asian people are a mixture of Causasian and Asiatic (what you would picture as typical East Asian). However, depending where you are in Central Asia, some people are mostly Caucasian (and look it) and some people are mostly Asiatic (and look it). The US Census counts Central Asians as Caucasian. There are actually some "white" neighborhoods in Queens with large Central Asian immigrant populations from Uzbekistan, Turkmenistan, Kazahstan, etc. These people look a lot more Caucasian than Asiatic.
You're right, most Central Asians look Caucasian with an (East) Asiatic touch.

Now that I thought about it, of the few Central Asians I know, all are White with only one exception. Or two: There's one guy who looks like exactly in the middle between White and (East) Asian. He's very good looking, btw.

Do you know how many Central Asians there are in North America?

Old 05-27-2008, 02:39 PM

16,225 posts, read 27,415,942 times
I'm sorry, I thought I was in the immigration forum.....

Old 05-27-2008, 02:44 PM

3,368 posts, read 11,667,463 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Neutre View Post
Well, there's a considerable number of Pakistanis and Indians who are White, yet they would still be considered Asians.

Is the majority of the population in Central Asia White?

How many Central Asians are there in North America?
Indians and Pakistanis are racially Caucasian, but (to add to the confusion) are considered (geographically) "Asian" by the US Census. Since "whites" are light skinned Caucasians, there are many very light skinned Pakistanis and northern Indians who could call themselves "white."

To answer your other question, I'm not sure how many Central Asians are in North American.

Old 05-28-2008, 01:09 AM

3,172 posts, read 6,751,467 times
Another example of why Census data shouldn't be the authority on race.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia