U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-21-2012, 01:08 PM

62 posts, read 180,377 times

Advertisements

Hi Everyone,

I recently found out my grandmaw is half Altaian or Altay (kazakh and Uzbek)(??)

I've googled random information, but still do not get a clear idea if the region has more Asian, Slavic or Turkish looking people. How is the culture and living situation there now? Have a lot of people from Altaic regions migrated to Finland or other eastern countries besides Russia?

Thanks for any info
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-21-2012, 07:02 PM

24,683 posts, read 45,344,192 times
I think Kazakhs are an intermediate but tend towards looking slightly Asian (they don't look like Borat!). I think Kazakhstan is on the rise, you should see their name capital city Astana, it's pretty impressive. Not aware of any large-scale migration of Kazakhs and Uzbeks except perhaps parts of Russia, where I hear they are targeted by Russian skinheads.

Old 06-21-2012, 07:51 PM

15,029 posts, read 13,614,987 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MissesAnna View Post
Hi Everyone,

I recently found out my grandmaw is half Altaian or Altay (kazakh and Uzbek)(??)

I've googled random information, but still do not get a clear idea if the region has more Asian, Slavic or Turkish looking people. How is the culture and living situation there now? Have a lot of people from Altaic regions migrated to Finland or other eastern countries besides Russia?

Thanks for any info
I had to look it up myself, because I never associated Altai with Kazakh ( even more so - with Uzbek)population.
It's part of Siberia as far as I remember, so Siberian natives are different ethnic groups, in case of Altai it's a mix of Oirats and what's not.

Altay people - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

( If anything else, they are like Kalmyk or Kirghiz - that group of people.)

Old 06-21-2012, 08:31 PM

78,520 posts, read 70,430,585 times
Didn't you already get an answer to this on your other thread, the DNA thread? The Altai has a mix of people: Turkic, Tungusic, Mongol, Samoyed (assimilated to Turkic: Khakass and Tuvan & Tofalar), Ket (assimilated to Turkic/Khakass). The Eastern Altai is in Buryatia and Western Mongolia. There's a similar mix there.

I took a look at the link erasure gave. That's dealing exclusively with the Altai Republic, which is in the southern Altai mountains, bordering on China. There's much more to the Altai region than just the Altai Republic and its people, though.

Old 06-21-2012, 08:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
Didn't you already get an answer to this on your other thread, the DNA thread? The Altai has a mix of people: Turkic, Tungusic, Mongol, Samoyed (assimilated to Turkic: Khakass and Tuvan & Tofalar), Ket (assimilated to Turkic/Khakass). The Eastern Altai is in Buryatia and Western Mongolia. There's a similar mix there.

I took a look at the link erasure gave. That's dealing exclusively with the Altai Republic, which is in the southern Altai mountains, bordering on China. There's much more to the Altai region than just the Altai Republic and its people, though.
Who, me?
No, I didn't have a clue.
I had to go on Russian sites quite honestly, to see what those nationalities are in Russian.
Never heard of them before ( including Oirat)
Khakass ring a bell somewhat, but something like "Tofalar" or "Chelkan" or "Kumandin" - nooooooo))))) never heard that before...
That's nothing like good old "buryat."

Old 06-21-2012, 08:50 PM

PS. Oh, I see...
But no, this link gives information both on Altay Republic and Altay region...

" there with The Altay or Altai are a conglomerative ethnic group of Mongolic, Tungusic and Turkic peoples living in the Siberian Altai Republic and Altai Krai and surrounding areas of Tuva and Mongolia and Manchuria"
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or