U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-19-2012, 09:57 AM

24,683 posts, read 45,412,919 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by marothisu View Post
It definitely happens. When I was in Turkey, there were a bunch of people who were like "really??" when I said I was from the US because they thought I was a local. One older guy went as far as telling me I was lying and he said I was tricking him, even though I was clearly speaking English in a non European/Middle Eastern accent. It was like unfathomable to them that someone with mid east descent could be living outside of the mid east.
Exactly what I'm talking about.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-19-2012, 12:39 PM

17,270 posts, read 19,560,434 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trimac20 View Post
Sometimes when I travel in Asia - and I've been to 5 countries in SE Asia and China now, and I tell people I'm from Australia, many seem either unable to understand or accept this. Well maybe not A LOT, but a sizable minority. Even if my accent isn't obvious enough, some of them have said 'I don't believe you, I think you're from [insert random Asian country]' as if the only Australians are white people.

They probably don't understand that Australian is a nation of immigrants and not homogeneous unlike most Asian nations, but it's annoying that they can't seem to wrap their head around this. I wonder what they think when you tell them that you only speak English, lol.
I'm Indian American. I can speak conversational Bengali, so that helps when I'm traveling in that part of India. I don't usually encounter the problem you're describing. Rather, most people I come across in India seem to assume I'm from some foreign country judging from my mannerisms and such. I always get strange stares from a few people whenever I'm in India. lol.

Old 08-22-2012, 07:59 PM

12 posts, read 22,224 times
At least you don't have to deal with the curiosity faced by many mixed races, particular those with more than 2.

If you want them to believe, just speak to them in English, and pretend your local language level is next to none. Some responses can be quite amusing.

Old 08-27-2012, 02:28 PM

1,609 posts, read 3,153,315 times
This IMO is not so strange. Most Asian countries are VERY homogenous, so all a typical person living in an Asian country sees is people like himself. Now if you switch on the international news about, say, USA or Australia, what does he see? Politicians, sportsmen, etc. How many American/Australian politicians are Asian? Sportsmen from the US are typically white or black. It is difficult to grasp that US/Australia are multicultural (including Asians) unless one has actually been there, or reads extensively. If you are a rural person in Asia (or a city-dweller not well-versed in International affairs), it is a weird concept.

Old 08-29-2012, 06:22 PM

7,508 posts, read 3,726,651 times
A big reason that I think is Asian westerners are not that traditional and conservative unless they are first or 1.5 generation.

Old 08-29-2012, 10:23 PM

2,702 posts, read 2,108,683 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by danielsa1775 View Post
Try this more up to date one.

Census of Population and Housing

Land of many cultures, ancestries and faiths

Besides your origional post said european, not white. By Australian and US measuring systems, the populations of the likes of Iran, Iraq, Lebenon, Syria, Egypt etc etc are close to 100% white.

They sure are not european however, and neither are the 2.5% of australians who are either Aborigional or Torres Strait islanders.
I don't get why the census considers Middle Easterners and North Africans white. They aren't white people. Sure, they can be called Caucasian, but that doesn't mean they're white. All whites are Caucasian, but not all Caucasians are white.

Old 08-30-2012, 02:09 PM

15,554 posts, read 13,546,109 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by City Data Guy View Post
I don't get why the census considers Middle Easterners and North Africans white. They aren't white people. Sure, they can be called Caucasian, but that doesn't mean they're white. All whites are Caucasian, but not all Caucasians are white.
The racial classifications, in regards to EEO and the Census, are just about politics, nothing more.

The catch all is National Origin discrimination policies, this allows for a little common sense leeway in regards to discrimination complaints (I know, not addressing the census).

For an accurate census, there would need to be at least a hundred different categories.

Old 08-30-2012, 03:35 PM

3,520 posts, read 5,463,029 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by City Data Guy View Post
Actually the only race based question in the Austrlian census is the one asking if you are aborigional or a torres strait islander.

It just asks where you were born, and the birth place of your parents. However, "Asia" as defind by the abs only includes the countries from Afganistan to the east, or bascially indian and oriental asians.

Last edited by danielsa1775; 08-30-2012 at 03:45 PM..

Old 09-02-2012, 07:11 PM

3,091 posts, read 3,541,307 times
Asian people in Asia don't generally accept me as Chinese/Asian, when I was younger people I was often referred to by strangers in Singapore as "ang mo kia" (red hair/European child) even though I'm half Chinese.

Old 09-02-2012, 11:44 PM

24,683 posts, read 45,412,919 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sulkiercupid View Post
Asian people in Asia don't generally accept me as Chinese/Asian, when I was younger people I was often referred to by strangers in Singapore as "ang mo kia" (red hair/European child) even though I'm half Chinese.
Yeah a few times now when I'm in Singapore someone will start speaking to me in Mandarin, then realise that I don't understand anything they're saying lol...the language of business, though, is typically English although Mandarin is often used.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia