U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-04-2012, 11:36 PM

500 posts, read 1,255,532 times

Advertisements

As an Asian American, I had to eventually accept my fate of being talked to in that person's language when traveling through Asia. Once you open your mouth and speak English, of course, the Asian person will suddenly realize you don't know the language. (And it doesn't exactly help even here in New Jersey where we have a high number of Asian people. Particularly, Koreans in the northern part of the state. Go into a Korean restaurant/super market and Korean staff members will start talking to you in Korean. I don't even look Korean. And yes, I've been sometimes asked by other non-Asian Americans as to "where are you from?" I don't mind that so much. Particularly, when we're outside of New Jersey and you can proudly say "New Jersey".)

Having been to Australia, I felt almost right at home being surrounded by a lot of Asian people in Sydney. I was kind of surprised at the high amount of Asian people forgetting that the entire Asian sector sits on top of it. I wasn't surprised though, at that time, to hear the news of the Australian government trying to control the immigration rate.

I have to say, the only country that kind of guessed my nationality right had to be Holland. Some random teenage boys were riding their bikes past a small rural strip mall that my tour group stopped at. My mom and I were eating ice cream near a bench next to the main local road. Those teens passed by and waved at us shouting something like "Hello Americans!" I had to look quickly behind me to see if anybody else from the tour group was behind us, but nope. We're the only two Asian people out there. >_> Go figure. I would've awarded those boys a cookie, each.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-05-2012, 07:45 AM

24,683 posts, read 45,369,517 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Unknown Memory View Post
As an Asian American, I had to eventually accept my fate of being talked to in that person's language when traveling through Asia. Once you open your mouth and speak English, of course, the Asian person will suddenly realize you don't know the language. (And it doesn't exactly help even here in New Jersey where we have a high number of Asian people. Particularly, Koreans in the northern part of the state. Go into a Korean restaurant/super market and Korean staff members will start talking to you in Korean. I don't even look Korean. And yes, I've been sometimes asked by other non-Asian Americans as to "where are you from?" I don't mind that so much. Particularly, when we're outside of New Jersey and you can proudly say "New Jersey".)

Having been to Australia, I felt almost right at home being surrounded by a lot of Asian people in Sydney. I was kind of surprised at the high amount of Asian people forgetting that the entire Asian sector sits on top of it. I wasn't surprised though, at that time, to hear the news of the Australian government trying to control the immigration rate.

I have to say, the only country that kind of guessed my nationality right had to be Holland. Some random teenage boys were riding their bikes past a small rural strip mall that my tour group stopped at. My mom and I were eating ice cream near a bench next to the main local road. Those teens passed by and waved at us shouting something like "Hello Americans!" I had to look quickly behind me to see if anybody else from the tour group was behind us, but nope. We're the only two Asian people out there. >_> Go figure. I would've awarded those boys a cookie, each.
Europeans, in general, treat me more as an Australian than an Asian, and a lot of Asians do too, it's just I still get that attitude from a segment of the population.

Old 09-09-2012, 08:28 PM
JL

7,351 posts, read 11,880,681 times
You won't have this issue in Vietnam...at least in Saigon(HCMC). They are aware of many Asians living abroad and the country has quite a few Asian tourists.

Old 09-10-2012, 04:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JL View Post
You won't have this issue in Vietnam...at least in Saigon(HCMC). They are aware of many Asians living abroad and the country has quite a few Asian tourists.
Yes actually I encountered the problem a bit more in Thailand, oddly, than Vietnam. Maybe cos Thailand gets more European tourists from Australia.

Old 09-10-2012, 07:05 AM
JL

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trimac20 View Post
Yes actually I encountered the problem a bit more in Thailand, oddly, than Vietnam. Maybe cos Thailand gets more European tourists from Australia.
Well, the Vietnamese certainly understand/accept Vietnamese Americans knowing the history already. I can't attest to why it would be a problem with an Asian Australian considering the huge Asian community there. I know that there is quite a number of Vietnamese Australians in Australia having visited my Aunt. As far as Thailand, i don't know.

Old 09-10-2012, 07:29 AM

9,334 posts, read 19,460,524 times
Quote:
Sometimes when I travel in Asia - and I've been to 5 countries in SE Asia and China now, and I tell people I'm from Australia, many seem either unable to understand or accept this. Well maybe not A LOT, but a sizable minority. Even if my accent isn't obvious enough, some of them have said 'I don't believe you, I think you're from [insert random Asian country]' as if the only Australians are white people.

They probably don't understand that Australian is a nation of immigrants and not homogeneous unlike most Asian nations, but it's annoying that they can't seem to wrap their head around this. I wonder what they think when you tell them that you only speak English, lol.
Really? I've travelled in Indo, Sing, Malaysia, Thailand, Laos, Cambodia, Philippines, HK, Canton...
and when people asked where I lived, I'd say Adelaide or Oz.. and nobody blinked an eye. There are tons of Asians from North America and Europe that travel the main tourist route.. perhaps you were in a very remote area?

Old 09-10-2012, 07:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by minibrings View Post
Really? I've travelled in Indo, Sing, Malaysia, Thailand, Laos, Cambodia, Philippines, HK, Canton...
and when people asked where I lived, I'd say Adelaide or Oz.. and nobody blinked an eye. There are tons of Asians from North America and Europe that travel the main tourist route.. perhaps you were in a very remote area?
Well it was really just about two or three people in total, maybe I was exaggerating. One was a massage girl in Phuket...

Old 09-10-2012, 07:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JL View Post
Well, the Vietnamese certainly understand/accept Vietnamese Americans knowing the history already. I can't attest to why it would be a problem with an Asian Australian considering the huge Asian community there. I know that there is quite a number of Vietnamese Australians in Australia having visited my Aunt. As far as Thailand, i don't know.
Actually I'm not sure if many Vietnamese know much about them. Many Viets still consider them overseas Vietnamese first, American second.

Old 09-10-2012, 07:57 AM

684 posts, read 694,909 times
It probably depends on where you're visiting, really.

In Japan, I can mangle a word in Japanese and I am suddenly the most masterful speaker of the language the world has ever seen. A friend of mine, who's half Japanese, goes over to Japan and he's treated as if he's a particularly slow child.

This is probably why his father never sends him there on business.

Old 09-10-2012, 07:59 AM
JL

Quote:
Actually I'm not sure if many Vietnamese know much about them. Many Viets still consider them overseas Vietnamese first, American second.
Not really. They consider the older generation that settled abroad as Vietnamese(right after 1975), but they consider the second generation Vietnamese as Americans. My niece traveled with my sister and the local Vietnamese asked her if she spoke any Vietnamese. Even my relatives in Vietnam pretty much have accepted this. The Vietnamese that can send their kids abroad to study in the States are doing so in hopes of them eventually getting residency. Some have married and had kids, so they are aware of this.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia