U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-21-2013, 03:53 AM

5 posts, read 3,482 times

Advertisements

A lot of things have been published about Indonesia being a Hindu isle well, let me tell you that it's nothing like Native Indian Hindu, especially their meals. Native Indian Hindus are generally vegans, or if they do eat beef, they adhere to poultry.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-21-2013, 05:02 AM
kyh

383 posts, read 1,062,181 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by altonwilliard View Post
A lot of things have been published about Indonesia being a Hindu isle well, let me tell you that it's nothing like Native Indian Hindu, especially their meals. Native Indian Hindus are generally vegans, or if they do eat beef, they adhere to poultry.
I think you meant Bali instead of Indonesia, of which the latter is primarily Muslim.

Balinese Hinduism is an indigenous form of the religion, and had been isolated from the Indian form for so long that they naturally developed a unique brand of syncretism with local beliefs. Balinese Hinduism is also fused with native animism, so that is why it is so different from the Hinduism in India.

Old 02-21-2013, 06:59 AM

24,683 posts, read 45,384,878 times
Indeed, a long with some of the tribal areas of Indonesia Bali is one region where pork is commonly eaten.

Old 11-30-2013, 05:42 AM

376 posts, read 743,218 times
MAHA KARYA BOROBUDUR " JAVANESE"
http://2.bp.blogspot.com/-mt9KS9RA6B...-borobudur.jpg

The best place in Indonesian is when you go to the Buddhist temple of Borobudur is the Largest in the world, is a very proud legacy for Indonesia. although I'm not a Buddhist when we like to go there to get a very deep spiritual touch.
Indonesian culture has very strong elements of Buddhist and Hindu influences

http://2.bp.blogspot.com/-JgUC3WyZ8j...45aa319876.jpg

Last edited by Oldhag1; 07-31-2014 at 06:58 AM.. Reason: Removed copyrighted material

Old 01-05-2014, 07:19 AM

1 posts, read 946 times
Bali would be my choice

Old 07-31-2014, 03:30 AM

1,022 posts, read 3,146,089 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kyh View Post
I think you meant Bali instead of Indonesia, of which the latter is primarily Muslim.

Balinese Hinduism is an indigenous form of the religion, and had been isolated from the Indian form for so long that they naturally developed a unique brand of syncretism with local beliefs. Balinese Hinduism is also fused with native animism, so that is why it is so different from the Hinduism in India.
True but it also applies to most of the other religion, even Islam in Java is mixed with their old practices.

Hinduism of Bali itself have been heavily influenced by Java.

Quote:
Originally Posted by altonwilliard View Post

Hindus of Indonesia do eat beef, kinda surprising, but its also because of their ancient influence. Only albino cow can't be eaten and is considered sacred, the prince and royalty also aren't allowed to eat beef. Vegans are mostly priest but some of the upper caste also practices it.

Caste system is there but not as prevalent and often ignored by the Balinese, most of the population are categorized as Sudras, i have Ksatriyas friend who explained how the system works.

You'll be surprised how Indonesian Hinduism is nothing like those in India, despite being Indianized state, their influence is more ancient rather than the present Hinduism. Lots of the ancient practices that had extincted in ancient Hinduism like full moon ritual are still well-practiced in Bali.

Female preference also don't exist, although females are supposed and expected to follow her husband dutifully.

Quote:
Originally Posted by burmaguide View Post
Bali would be my choice
Good choice, but Bali is getting boring, try the isolated parts of Indonesia and discover what it truly had to offer, you aren't really visiting Indonesia if you only see Bali.

Last edited by Goshio22; 07-31-2014 at 03:54 AM..

Old 07-31-2014, 03:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neutre View Post
Minahasa in North Sulawesi.

I reckon there's an international airport in Manado, its capital.
Manado is mostly for diving and the volcanoes, also the food are gorgeaus but becareful of dog meats if you don't' want to eat it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiger Beer View Post
Even though Bali is touristic, it certainly deserves to be visited. Gorgeous and unique place.

Lombok seems to be most touted as the closest to what Bali use to be. Take in mind though, that Lombok is Muslim, whereas Bali isn't Muslim. So kind of a muslim version of what Bali use to be.

That being said, I like what Bali is right now, and I have no reference of comparison to really know what Bali use to be.
No way you can see what Bali used to be by going north of the island, there is many traditional villages that aren't affected by tourism, basically the northern area apart from Ubud and Singaraja is what Bali like without tourism.. Bali and Lombok is not similar at all, its just different. Lombok's beach is better than Bali by miles btw, and the cool thing is that apart from Gili the beaches are almost void of people.

Lombok has Hindus yes but majority of the population are Sasaknese, unique tribe indeed! try to go to their villages, you'll loved the experience. They also have this Hindu-Islam mixing of religion, which is quiet interesting and not as similar as Java.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiger Beer View Post
I've spent time on both Java and Bali.

In Java, I went to Jakarata, Bogor, Bandung, Malang, Yogjakarta, and probably a couple other places I can't quickly recall at the moment.

I also went to the more popular areas of Bali - Kuta, Seminyak, Ubud, Lembongan Island, etc.

I MUCH MUCH MUCH preferred BALI. Just an absolutely beautiful island, with a very rich culture and you have a great mix of things from beaches to the beauty of Ubud. I'd go back there again and again in a mini-heartbeat.

Java was a lot of fun, especially Jakarta. But, one month in Java, and I have no desire to go back. There are many things to see there as well.

I often hear great things about Lombok. Very little traffic there, and just quiet and relaxing, etc. Also I've heard many interesting things about Sumutra as well.

It's amazing just how big and varied Indonesia is though. It feels like it could take you 6 months to really get to know all the corners and nuisances of place in that country.
Java is fun but tiring, too much to see in one month, there is tonnes to see like volcanoes, national parks and cultural attraction. I'd also try to scratch out its surface to see the colonial remnants that is still prevalent in some cities across Java and also visiting areas like Baduis and Naga for ancient villages experience with population mostly Hindus, the survivor of Islam religion. Also if you're lucky you catch a glimpse of the Javanese Kejawen practices, which is unique among all the Muslim world itself, not a lot of Muslims practices mixing of religion with such high respect like the Javanese. But the negative thing about Java is that apart from the big cities, the nightlife and bars doesn't really exist.

Bali is more developed as its only a small island and less populated and culturally different, one of the many traits the Indonesian isles had. The thing is that apart from Bali, most of the tourism didn't really get developed so you'll get more tourist accomodating places in Bali rather than other places which makes it more comfortable.

But exploring Indonesia beyond Java, Bali and Lombok could takes years, with all the different culture in different islands. There's no other places in the world where you can travel interislandly to only see different cultures offered in different places, even religiously, for an instance one might travel to Nusa Tenggara and Flores to see Christians, Animist and Muslims living on its different isles. Isolated villages and beaches, some of the best diving spots and finish your trip on Komodo or Rinca island to see it living real dragon on the wild.

Let's not forget about Sumatra too, huge island with many interesting spots and natural beauty, away from all the tourist crowds and many distinguished cultural groups from the Malays-Batak-Bengkulu to Minangkabau.

There's also Torajaland in Sulawesi, Christian-Animist tribes who valued the death and perhaps even further inside the island. Don't waste your time on Makassar, its a sh*thole, the only attraction there that i can think of is Fort Rotterdam.

Then there's Papua and the magical Raja Ampat, the best diving spot on earth with all its glorious natural appeal, or explore the depth to Baliem valley to see native Papuans living their old ways.

Last edited by Goshio22; 07-31-2014 at 04:03 AM..

Old 07-31-2014, 04:32 AM

1,021 posts, read 897,016 times
Poor me, I've only been to Bintan lol!

But would love to visit Jakarta just to have the feeling of Indonesian capital and also Bali so that I can compare it with Boracay.

Old 07-31-2014, 05:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kent_moore View Post

But would love to visit Jakarta just to have the feeling of Indonesian capital and also Bali so that I can compare it with Boracay.
Hmm you should try getting into Medan, its close to Singapore and lots of Singaporeans does it to visit Lake Toba. From Medan you can see its oldtown and lots of nice food (Padang, Batak and Chinese food), it has significant Chinese community and Malay sultanate, but apart from that it's not really worth staying to long on. Instead i would recommend getting out to Berastagi and Lake Toba, the area is predominantly Protestant Batak, lots of traditional villages scattered around to learn about the ethnic. Plus the natural landscape of the area worth travelling around for.

Old 07-31-2014, 06:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kent_moore View Post

The Indonesian capital is just a chaotic city but if you are willing to give it a time to explore its secret, its worth few day of your time, the attraction is mainly its Dutch colonial quarter, national monument, cathedral, Istiqlal mosque, betawi village, taman mini, museums, nightlife, themepark, zoo and malls. The national museum is worth visiting if you are interested in Indonesian culture and there is plenty of tablets and scluptures from various ancient temples, and as well gold crowns from different Indonesian kingdoms. Food is gorgeous and the variety is abundance especially Indonesian food from other islands, and if you are willing to spend more, do visit the thousands islands for diving and good beach. On the other hand you can get out from the capital to one of its satelite cities called Bogor to see its Palace and botanical garden and as well the safari park.

If you enjoy seafood do visit Bandar Djakarta restaurant, its worth the price.

Bali is on different league with Boracay, Boracay is just beach-party island while Bali is larger and has a lot to offer apart from the two mentioned. There's cultural insight in there, thousands of temples, lakes, volcanoes, sufring etc etc, so you can't really compare the two.

Last edited by Goshio22; 07-31-2014 at 06:35 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia