U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-31-2014, 07:15 AM

1,021 posts, read 896,670 times

Advertisements

^Oh thank you! Will consider those places.

Besides Malaysia, I wonder where in SEA Singaporeans travel? There are about 350,000 Singaporeans visited the Philippines last year.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-31-2014, 07:20 AM

1,022 posts, read 3,145,776 times
Loads go to Thailand and Indonesia, we receive nearly 2 million Singaporean because of their access to Batam and a lot go to Lake Toba, Bali and Borobudur, and as for Thailand mostly to places where they can have fun. I think they also go to places like Vietnam, Cambodia and Myanmar to see its exotic wealth.

Old 07-31-2014, 07:26 AM

1,021 posts, read 896,670 times
Oh yes, Batam and Bintan 2M was already like half of the annual foreign tourist arrival in PH lol!

Old 07-31-2014, 08:39 AM

2,431 posts, read 1,667,352 times
We stayed in Bali at a villa south of Antosari on the coast. It was at the end of a dirt road amid rice paddies and the road turned into a path down to a black volcanic sand beach. The villa was owned by a British couple, they lived in one and rented out two others. They had a driver available to do the tourists jaunts to Ubud, Tenalot and the temples or wherever we wanted to go.

We found offerings on the grounds of the villa and on the beach daily:

We did the tourist trips but enjoyed the village we were in even more. The locals road their motorcycles down past the villas at 5 to play soccer/football on the beach using bamboo poles for the goals. The temple in the pic was up in the volcano area on a rainy day, one of our day trips.

Bali can be as busy or as isolated as you want.

These are my pictures taken at Bali and put in collage form by me.

Last edited by Oldhag1; 07-31-2014 at 11:29 AM.. Reason: Added portion of other post

Old 07-31-2014, 09:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jean_ji View Post
We stayed in Bali at a villa south of Antosari on the coast. It was at the end of a dirt road amid rice paddies and the road turned into a path down to a black volcanic sand beach. The villa was owned by a British couple, they lived in one and rented out two others. They had a driver available to do the tourists jaunts to Ubud, Tenalot and the temples or wherever we wanted to go.

We found offerings on the grounds of the villa and on the beach daily:

We did the tourist trips but enjoyed the village we were in even more. The locals road their motorcycles down past the villas at 5 to play soccer/football on the beach using bamboo poles for the goals. The temple in the pic was up in the volcano area on a rainy day, one of our day trips.

Bali can be as busy or as isolated as you want.
The statement i bolded is true, most of the touristy parts of Bali are in the southern part of the island, but when you rode north most of them dissapear. Kuta and Seminyak had been transformed to drunk Bogen (with Bintang shirt) ridden bartown, its extremely touristy and too much developed with tourists junk imo. But if you go to smaller place like Ubud, its still more peaceful, although its slowly transforming into another Kuta. If you want to be away from all those hassles and business, go to Singaraja or the mountainous areas, its much more peaceful down there compared to the south where most of the people lived. Beside in those areas, the population are more traditionals, completely off from most of the tourist radar. Nusa Lembongan is also a great idea, an island not far from Bali but with less tourist, good beach and diving spot! Lots of villas are being built there now apperently, i see the same boom in Lombok.

Those offerings are called "Sesajen" the Balinese prepared it every morning to feed the spirits.

Btw nice pics, glad you stayed here

Old 07-31-2014, 10:48 AM

18,510 posts, read 9,574,204 times
We are headed to Bali and will spend 1 week in Ubud and 1 week at Nua Dusa. I tried to talk my wife into Borobudur but she just wants to head to Bali. As for the rest of Indonesia, sorry but people of that religion do their best to kill all fun.

Old 07-31-2014, 11:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tall Traveler View Post
We are headed to Bali and will spend 1 week in Ubud and 1 week at Nua Dusa. I tried to talk my wife into Borobudur but she just wants to head to Bali. As for the rest of Indonesia, sorry but people of that religion do their best to kill all fun.
What kind of fun are you talking about? if you mean alcohol, pubs and clubs they exist in bigger cities like Jakarta, Surabaya and Bandung. You will never find it impossible to get alcohol anywhere in Indonesia.

Did you mean Islam when you talk about religion? because if it is, i don't blame you considering all the rep the religion receive in western media. But Indonesian are one of the more relaxed Muslim in general, and tolerant (i suppose this would vary with religiousity level of the province). The Javanese are Muslims but they are more acceptive towards others, and in fact mixing their old religion with the current one. There is also limited restriction in general, apart from wearing bikinis, or kissing in public, there is nothing that prevent you from doing most things that's enough to kill most of the fun.

Beside Indonesia is diverse some of its provinces are populated by non-Muslim, mainly Christians. The country has no official religion or Sharia based law or radicals that would affect tourists, even terrorist threat isn't likely to affected tourist visitng this country. I know we have lots of negativity from the media for being the largest Muslim dominated nation, but trust me we're not all that horrible.. totally not Afganistan, SA or Pakistan.

Old 07-31-2014, 11:55 AM

2,431 posts, read 1,667,352 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Goshio22 View Post
The statement i bolded is true, most of the touristy parts of Bali are in the southern part of the island, but when you rode north most of them dissapear. Kuta and Seminyak had been transformed to drunk Bogen (with Bintang shirt) ridden bartown, its extremely touristy and too much developed with tourists junk imo. But if you go to smaller place like Ubud, its still more peaceful, although its slowly transforming into another Kuta. If you want to be away from all those hassles and business, go to Singaraja or the mountainous areas, its much more peaceful down there compared to the south where most of the people lived. Beside in those areas, the population are more traditionals, completely off from most of the tourist radar. Nusa Lembongan is also a great idea, an island not far from Bali but with less tourist, good beach and diving spot! Lots of villas are being built there now apperently, i see the same boom in Lombok.

Those offerings are called "Sesajen" the Balinese prepared it every morning to feed the spirits.

Btw nice pics, glad you stayed here
Thank you for the word sesajen, they were lovely to come across.

We went to Bintan for a wedding and it was lovely but more of a resort type setting, at least where we were. Bali will always be magical for me; from the craziness of Tenalot to the lovely temples and small villages.

Old 07-31-2014, 12:10 PM

18,510 posts, read 9,574,204 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Goshio22 View Post
What kind of fun are you talking about? if you mean alcohol, pubs and clubs they exist in bigger cities like Jakarta, Surabaya and Bandung. You will never find it impossible to get alcohol anywhere in Indonesia.

Did you mean Islam when you talk about religion? because if it is, i don't blame you considering all the rep the religion receive in western media. But Indonesian are one of the more relaxed Muslim in general, and tolerant (i suppose this would vary with religiousity level of the province). The Javanese are Muslims but they are more acceptive towards others, and in fact mixing their old religion with the current one. There is also limited restriction in general, apart from wearing bikinis, or kissing in public, there is nothing that prevent you from doing most things that's enough to kill most of the fun.

Beside Indonesia is diverse some of its provinces are populated by non-Muslim, mainly Christians. The country has no official religion or Sharia based law or radicals that would affect tourists, even terrorist threat isn't likely to affected tourist visitng this country. I know we have lots of negativity from the media for being the largest Muslim dominated nation, but trust me we're not all that horrible.. totally not Afganistan, SA or Pakistan.
Thanks Goshio. I have worked in Saudi, Kuwait, Afghanistan, and Dubai so I have lived in Muslim countries. I realize the level of control over citizen actions differs between Saudi and Dubai for example and even more so for Indonesia. There are plenty of Muslims that I like and respect but just frustrated...

Old 07-31-2014, 08:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tall Traveler View Post
Thanks Goshio. I have worked in Saudi, Kuwait, Afghanistan, and Dubai so I have lived in Muslim countries. I realize the level of control over citizen actions differs between Saudi and Dubai for example and even more so for Indonesia. There are plenty of Muslims that I like and respect but just frustrated...
Yes even i get frustated seeing how my own countrymen behaving religiously, although they're minority, it disgust me as much as you do.

In Indonesia there is very little to no control at all (just Aceh), its just that the society felt negatively if they had seen things they consider wrong in public.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia