U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-23-2012, 05:49 AM

24,683 posts, read 45,641,532 times

Advertisements

If not, do you think it will be?

It seems that Korean TV shows, films, music, and to a lesser extent Taiwanese (Japanese is and still is popular but is declining in popular) is growing in popularity all throughout Asia and even beyond. Aside from being big in Korea itself, it's spread to places like Taiwan, Japan, cities in China, Thailand, Vietnam and even places like India, the Middle East and Russia. It seems they definitely rival a lot of the usual Hollywood stuff nowadays.

Would you say it's generally becoming more influential/or does it still play second fiddle to the usual American/British imports? In Vietnam, for instance, it doesn't seem that American pop 40 music has made as much as a dent. Although Singapore, Malaysia, Thailand, Japan a bit moreso.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-23-2012, 10:06 PM
JL

7,355 posts, read 11,934,264 times
Asian pop culture(Korean, Taiwanese, and Japanese) is very popular in Vietnam though hip-hop is something that many youngsters are delving into these days. Quite a growing number of Vietnamese hip-hop artists too. It is true that American pop has not made much of a dent....at least not yet.

Old 06-25-2012, 02:36 AM

61 posts, read 191,021 times
K-Pop is big in Malaysia and Singapore. My cousins listen to it even though they don't understand.

Old 06-25-2012, 02:49 AM

15,958 posts, read 36,321,268 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trimac20 View Post
If not, do you think it will be?

It seems that Korean TV shows, films, music, and to a lesser extent Taiwanese (Japanese is and still is popular but is declining in popular) is growing in popularity all throughout Asia and even beyond. Aside from being big in Korea itself, it's spread to places like Taiwan, Japan, cities in China, Thailand, Vietnam and even places like India, the Middle East and Russia. It seems they definitely rival a lot of the usual Hollywood stuff nowadays.

Would you say it's generally becoming more influential/or does it still play second fiddle to the usual American/British imports? In Vietnam, for instance, it doesn't seem that American pop 40 music has made as much as a dent. Although Singapore, Malaysia, Thailand, Japan a bit moreso.
In Korea, they have quite a few laws about what percentage of films or such can be non-Korean. Generally speaking, the Hollywood movies they show, seem to be the worse of the worse (i.e. the blockbusters that are super-promoted). Can't find much else. It's also hard to find non-Korean music played much in general.

At least with American music, it seems Japan has a much stronger handle on the best of American music. More of the Indy bands and alternative bands and lesser-knowns easily find a place and venues in Japan.

All that being said, Korean films are pretty amazing works of arts. We have some good AMerican movies too, but they are so few and far between. Korean films projects more reality, where American (and Japanese for that matter) get way too unreal for me. Actually living in Asia, it's just mindblowing how guns seem to make their way into so many different American movies. Even when Jackie Chan went to the US, suddenly he's doing gun scenes and such. I also notice way too many pyscho-related people in US films, or just unrelateable characters.

Old 06-25-2012, 06:54 AM

985 posts, read 3,270,547 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiger Beer View Post
All that being said, Korean films are pretty amazing works of arts. We have some good AMerican movies too, but they are so few and far between. Korean films projects more reality, where American (and Japanese for that matter) get way too unreal for me. Actually living in Asia, it's just mindblowing how guns seem to make their way into so many different American movies. Even when Jackie Chan went to the US, suddenly he's doing gun scenes and such. I also notice way too many pyscho-related people in US films, or just unrelateable characters.
You're right. I've been able to enjoy Korean movies and series because they're somehow much more relatable.
Although a lot of people admittedly watch a movie to get away from the real world. In that case Hollywood provides us with more than enough of "good" products.

Old 06-29-2012, 11:36 PM

424 posts, read 536,563 times
"Western" is a bit too broad, but the big Asian shows / movies / bands are definitely more popular globally than Hollywood fare. There are some exceptions (Korea doesn't produce the big superhero movies that do well in the box office, and has only recently begun doing kids' movies), and pop music does borrow pretty heavily from what was big in the US and Europe a decade ago. But it's hard to relate to Hollywood, and as people become more acquainted with the rest of the world it's less and less of a draw. And while there are some regional tensions in Asia---Korea vs. Japan, China vs. Taiwan, and some smaller, lingering fueds---the pop-culture powerhouses there don't have the baggae of militarism and neo-colonialism that the US brings with it.

I'd still love to see Asian TV shows and movies get more play in the US. They're big among Asian-Americans and former expats, but haven't made many inroads otherwise. They can be silly, but most of the time I'd rather watch a Chinese or Korean show than the "reality" shows that comprise literally every channel these days.

Good point about the guns. Enough with the guns. And the dead people. A typical night of American TV programming in Asia consists of Law and Order, a few varieties of CSI, and some other cop drama: murders, rapes, corpses, and gratuitous cleavage (I'm no prude, but it does become ridiculous after walking around all day in cities where women don't go out of their way to bare their chests . . . and then to watch every doctor and cop on TV with half their chest hanging out).

Old 06-30-2012, 03:37 AM

5 posts, read 7,256 times
Default Is Asian pop culture more popular than Western/Hollywood

As an American in his 50s, who has lived in Seoul, ROK for around 17 years, I've seen a tremendous growth in Korean entertainment throughout Asia. K-Pop (Korean pop music geared towards the younger crowd) has become popular in countries like Japan, Indonesia, Taiwan and even Australia.

My wife (Korean) watches much more Korean media than I do, and confirms that not only K-pop music, but Korean TV dramas and movies have become increasingly popular in Asian countries.

However, the big-budget blockbuster American movies are still very popular in Korea as well as other Asian countries. Movies such as Transformers, Mission Impossible, Avatar and The Lord of the Ring Trilogy have sold out theaters over here. Even numerous TV series like "Lost", "Prison Break" and the various "CSI" shows have an audience over here. It helps when these shows feature Korean actors.

A side note, Koreans are infatuated with movies in the romance genre which are mixed with drama and comedy. Older American movies like "Pretty Woman", "Titanic", "Legends of the Fall", and "The Bodyguard" are considered classics over here and have influenced Korean movies.

IMO, when it comes to animation, I would have to say Japan still rules. They take their animation very seriously and do not consider them just "cartoons". Japanese animation is pretty much popular everywhere, even in the U.S. from what I hear.

Old 06-30-2012, 10:22 AM

5,008 posts, read 10,830,882 times
Whenever I go to Japan, I always hear about how big A-list stars sell out crowds here.

But in general the domestic pop bands and K-pop are huge. There is a LOT of copyright infringement going on though. Orange Range is notorious for that.

Old 07-02-2012, 04:31 AM

369 posts, read 804,848 times
It really depends on which part of Asia you talk about.

I find that the only ones where there is a good mix of Western and Asian pop culture are Singapore and HK; the rest are either heavily influenced by their own or Northeast Asian pop culture (Korean, Taiwanese, Japanese, etc). I could be wrong though.

Not really surprising to me since HK and Singapore are the only places that use English as their lingua franca.

Old 07-02-2012, 09:54 AM

24,683 posts, read 45,641,532 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fellowjoe View Post
It really depends on which part of Asia you talk about.

I find that the only ones where there is a good mix of Western and Asian pop culture are Singapore and HK; the rest are either heavily influenced by their own or Northeast Asian pop culture (Korean, Taiwanese, Japanese, etc). I could be wrong though.

Not really surprising to me since HK and Singapore are the only places that use English as their lingua franca.
You could add the Philippines to that mix.

After that Japan and Thailand, but nothing like in S'pore.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or