U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-15-2015, 03:47 PM

448 posts, read 500,578 times

Advertisements

Some similarities between the 2 cities, especially with many Japanese restaurants in HK and Japanese culture in HK, like Japanese magazines are sold everywhere in HK. Same amount of Korean influence in HK too nowadays.

Both have a lot of shopping areas and malls which are counted as tourist attractions.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-27-2015, 12:38 PM

448 posts, read 500,578 times
Tokyo's residential real estates have become cheap compared with HK.
HK's most expensive is housing.
HK's private housing is very unaffordable, and Japan's salary is a bit more than HK's, making Tokyo a very affordable place among developed countries to buy real estates.

But food and transport costs are higher in Tokyo than Hong Kong. Most Hongkongers eat imported rice from Thailand or Vietnam which is cheaper than rice grown in Japan. Taxes in HK are little to none.

If you are flying from North America, the flight to Tokyo is shorter and therefore cheaper than to HK.
But HK is close to a lot of Asian countries in NE and SE Asia, most of which are very cheap in costs and fun to visit.

Old 06-28-2015, 05:05 PM

12,645 posts, read 15,099,803 times
I have visited both cities extensively, for both business and recreational purposes. Both are world class cities, in my opinion.

Japan: cleaner, great shopping, fewer English speakers, harder to navigate as a foreigner, people are polite, probably more expensive than Hong Kong for restaurant dining and 5 star hotels

Hong Kong: great shopping also, more crowded, people can be quite rude/pushy (don't take it personally), easy for a English speaker to navigate (many signs are bilingual; Chinese and English), more English speakers, great public transportation (MTR, taxi and train)

Both cities are safe, and the best time to visit both cities would be in October/November (best weather).

Old 06-29-2015, 06:07 AM

6,777 posts, read 5,137,786 times
^^Lol that last picture looks so creepy.

Old 06-29-2015, 07:11 AM

10,847 posts, read 11,286,480 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by japanese001 View Post
Hong Kong is recommended.

recommended because of the photos you show? They are just tall buildings. As I said, a person from Chicago probably isn't looking for a place full of skyscrapers.

Can I recommend again to spend more days in Kyoto than in Tokyo? It seems Americans know nothing about Japan except Tokyo because it is famous. Tokyo has good food, great urban vibe and fantastic public transport, but except for a few places, there are not many particularly interesting places to see. Kyoto on the other hand, was the ancient capital of Japan for more than 10 centuries and IMO is far more interesting.

Old 07-01-2015, 08:52 PM

11 posts, read 8,725 times
They're different in that Hong Kong is much more of a global city with a blend of east and west. Whereas Tokyo is unique in terms of Japanese culture.

Which is cheaper: on the balance the difference isn't that big nowadays but HK probably has a wider range of price point.

Which is easier to navigate and get around for an english speaker: for English speaker than no doubt Hong Kong. For most of the tourists places and mainstream areas, most people should be able to speak enough English. It is also easier to get around with signs in English.

Things to do is equal I'm assuming: both have plenty to do. In Hong Kong, should also factor in the surrounding Pearl River Delta area (especially Macau) as it's within a metropolitan proximity.

If you plan to explore other parts of Asia, than HK has the best location being the major hub in the region with most countries within a reasonable flying distance.

Old 07-02-2015, 04:29 AM

919 posts, read 604,679 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alacran View Post
Wanting to go to one of these.
Which is cheaper
I would say no big differences between them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alacran View Post
Which is easier to navigate and get around for an english speaker
I would say HK. While both cities offer excellent transportation, but HK is smaller than Tokyo

By the way, there are fewer English speakers in HK than you might expect.

Old 07-02-2015, 05:26 AM

1,789 posts, read 1,453,446 times
It really depends on what you want to do.

Its a toss up as to which is cheaper.

HK is easier to get around in and find english speakers, Tokyo is a bit more difficult initially but once you figure everything out its really not that difficult. Its very helpful to know some basic Japanese.

If I had to pick I would personally prefer Tokyo. There is some amazing sections that cater to specific subcultures that can be interesting and fun to checkout. I don't think any other city in the world has a similar feel in that regard. Granted most tourists don't even go to these areas because they don't realize they exist. Night time is when Tokyo really comes alive. While the HK night scene can be fun I don't think any city in the world can really compare to Tokyos night scene.

I don't think either city has anything all that impressive to visit as far as typical site seeing.

If you willing to get out of Tokyo for a bit then clearly Japan would be better as there are fast trains and cool sites across Japan.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or