U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-31-2016, 12:03 AM

298 posts, read 188,335 times

Advertisements

Korean still uses Chinese characters on occasion, esp. with names.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-02-2017, 08:46 PM

276 posts, read 204,619 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CharlesRamon View Post
Korean still uses Chinese characters on occasion, esp. with names.
Probably only confined to those that are 45+, many youngster cant even recognise their own name in Hanja (Chinese characters) let alone write them.

On many business cards these days in Korea, it's just the Hangul that is printed.

Back on the original topic, being a native English speaker and a poor Chinese speaker, Korean just sounds a lot more rough than Japanese. The latter seems to the untrained Earth, more "flowy"...

Old 01-02-2017, 11:32 PM

6,725 posts, read 6,604,445 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by willister View Post
Probably only confined to those that are 45+, many youngster cant even recognise their own name in Hanja (Chinese characters) let alone write them.

On many business cards these days in Korea, it's just the Hangul that is printed.

Back on the original topic, being a native English speaker and a poor Chinese speaker, Korean just sounds a lot more rough than Japanese. The latter seems to the untrained Earth, more "flowy"...
The Korean people I personally know can all write their name in Chinese characters. I know it because I like to ask that.
However they are well educated.

Old 01-03-2017, 10:31 AM

451 posts, read 1,079,587 times
In terms of the distinction between spoken Korean and Japanese- there are many, but hard to describe in words. In general, Koreans speak louder than the Japanese. I think Japanese has more vowel endings. As some of the prior posters have indicated, Korean at times have this "spit like sound" and often have interjections or endings that sound liks "simi-da". And say "nay". NOTE: I am not Korean. I am Taiwanese-American. My wife is Korean-American and speaks Korean to her parents.

Old 01-04-2017, 04:53 PM

399 posts, read 376,396 times
It's pretty easy for me to tell spoken Japanese vs Korean. Japanese have a lot of ka, ta sounds. Korean have sounds that start with h- and ends in -m -n sounds. So even if I don't understand, if I can listen to a conversation for couple minutes, I can tell by these sounds.

Old 01-04-2017, 11:45 PM

1,099 posts, read 1,669,089 times
Both languages are SOV with the verb conjugations/particles at the end. In their polite forms, you are bound to hear something that ends in -nida or -seyo in Korean, while a sentence that ends with -de****a, -ma****a, -desu or -masu (with final u sound often dropped) indicates that it's Japanese.

Old 06-04-2017, 09:07 PM

956 posts, read 1,546,159 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoldenTiger View Post
Both languages are SOV with the verb conjugations/particles at the end. In their polite forms, you are bound to hear something that ends in -nida or -seyo in Korean, while a sentence that ends with -de****a, -ma****a, -desu or -masu (with final u sound often dropped) indicates that it's Japanese.
What languages outside of Asia follow the SOV rule? Just a question out of my curiosity.

Old 06-04-2017, 09:16 PM

6,773 posts, read 5,119,529 times
Japanese - desu desu desu
Korean - smida smida smida

Old 06-05-2017, 10:36 AM

3,459 posts, read 938,755 times
If you watch a few shows with each you'll soon be able to see a big difference. I suggest going on a drama site like Dramafever, Viki, or even Netflix or Hulu and watch a few Japanese shows, then Korean shows. Also, you might add in a Chinese or Taiwanese show.

Then you'll be able to see there is quite a difference between them all. It's as different as English, Spanish and Portuguese. While we share some things, we are pretty different.

Then when you are out and here it, you can listen and figure out which one it is.

Old 06-06-2017, 04:43 AM

15,945 posts, read 36,159,509 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OZpharmer View Post
What languages outside of Asia follow the SOV rule? Just a question out of my curiosity.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Subjec...t%E2%80%93verb

"Languages that have SOV structure include Ainu, Akkadian, Amharic, Armenian, Assamese, Aymara, Azerbaijani, Basque, Bengali, Burmese, Burushaski, Dakota, Dogon languages, Elamite, Ancient Greek, Gujarati, Hajong, Hindi, Hittite, Hopi, Ijoid languages, Itelmen, Japanese, Kazakh, Kyrgyz, Korean, Kurdish, Classical Latin, Lakota, Manchu, Mande languages, Marathi, Mongolian, Navajo, Nepali, Newari, Nivkh, Nobiin, Pāli, Pashto, Persian, Punjabi, Quechua, Senufo languages, Seri, Sicilian, Sindhi, Sinhalese and most other Indo-Iranian languages, Somali and virtually all other Cu****ic languages, Sumerian, Tibetan and nearly all other Tibeto-Burman languages, Kannada, Malayalam, Tamil, Telugu and all other Dravidian languages, Tigrinya, Turkic languages, Turkish, Urdu, almost all Uto-Aztecan languages, Uzbek, Welsh, Yukaghir, and virtually all Caucasian languages."
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or