U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-14-2012, 08:53 PM

1,609 posts, read 3,155,703 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by munna21977 View Post
In India, native americans were known as "Red Indians".
They are still known as "Red Indians" in India.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-14-2012, 08:58 PM

4,699 posts, read 8,502,639 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by citynomad View Post
I believe the word 'Indians' in the U.S was corrected to Native Americans around the late 60's . The older generation got the word Indians stuck in their vocabulary. The only time you would refer to 'Indians' in current U.S. vocabulary is when referring to old pop culture such as 'Cowboys and Indians...'.

U.S. demographic identities needs to be updated again, IMHO.
I'm not sure how it is in the US, but in Canada part of the reason the word "Indian" has survived is because the indigenous people prefer this term! It's the word they use to describe themselves, they don't like using those more PC terms. As an Indo-Canadian, however, I always sort of wished they could find another term since it's a little confusing for two different groups of peoples to have the same name.

Old 07-14-2012, 10:35 PM

3,516 posts, read 4,971,890 times
In Canada, people of indigenous ancestry are called "FIRST NATIONS tribes" -- and Eskimos there are called "Inuits". Obviously they cannot be called "American Indians" if they are Canadians.

Old 07-14-2012, 10:52 PM

3,338 posts, read 5,801,779 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BIMBAM View Post
I'm not sure how it is in the US, but in Canada part of the reason the word "Indian" has survived is because the indigenous people prefer this term! It's the word they use to describe themselves, they don't like using those more PC terms. As an Indo-Canadian, however, I always sort of wished they could find another term since it's a little confusing for two different groups of peoples to have the same name.
Quote:
Originally Posted by slowlane3 View Post
In Canada, people of indigenous ancestry are called "FIRST NATIONS tribes" -- and Eskimos there are called "Inuits". Obviously they cannot be called "American Indians" if they are Canadians.
Well, I don't know whether it is really about political correctness or the fact that there are more alternative names (First Nations specifically, or aboriginals more broadly speaking etc.) or the fact that chances of confusion are even higher now with more Canadians, especially in the cities having immigrant descent/origins from India itself, but I do notice far fewer Canadians would call aboriginal people straight-up "Indians", than Americans do.

Another thing that seems to strike me as a rather Canadian usage (especially I think of BC for some reason), is to call people from India as "East Indian" (though I hear that less now). This also contrasts with West Indians (meaning those from the West Indies, which is the Caribbean, like Jamaicans). Though this must not help but to add to the confusion!

Old 07-14-2012, 11:01 PM

3,338 posts, read 5,801,779 times
Quote:
That raises a point -- I'm wondering if Americans usually mark out 'Eskimos', and 'American Indians' as separate groups (if I'm not mistaken I've seen Alaska natives separate from American Indians on the US census) the way Eskimo/'Inuit' in Canada are a separate group from 'First Nations', though they both belong under the category of aboriginal?

Old 07-16-2012, 03:00 AM

3,469 posts, read 7,155,797 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BIMBAM View Post
Yes, many tribes prefer "American Indian" in the US to "Native American", although referring to them by their actual tribe is most preferred (so I've been told). I've heard many reasons for this... two being:
1. They got sick of being renamed by other people. Sticking to "American Indian" is their way of rejecting yet another imposed renaming.
2. Something to do with treaties & legal stuff referring to them as "Indian" & not "Native American"...

I still mostly call them Native American because there are increasingly more & more Indian people in Southern California & it gets confusing to refer to both as "Indian".

Quote:
Unless you're using "America" to refer to the American continents....which is what I had assumed it meant, honestly.

When it comes to the indigenous people of South American, I have heard them called "Amerindians" or even "Indios". I imagine it varies from country to country....

Old 07-16-2012, 04:07 AM

3,668 posts, read 3,528,920 times
Just to add to the confusion, how will you call Americans living in India??? all possible names are already taken. cant call them american indians or indian americans. If a native american decides to live in India, it will be a comedy of errors.

Old 07-16-2012, 06:00 AM

1,609 posts, read 3,155,703 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by munna21977 View Post
Just to add to the confusion, how will you call Americans living in India??? all possible names are already taken. cant call them american indians or indian americans. If a native american decides to live in India, it will be a comedy of errors.
Americans living in India are simply called Americans . I doubt any Native Americans ever went to India though!

Old 07-17-2012, 08:09 AM

1,761 posts, read 6,972,681 times
Amerindian an ethnic group and they are the native americans right? American Indian or Red Indian.

actually, the Indian I know is the Amerindian before like this

before knowing that they also call Indian nationals in India as "Indians" lol but I know
they are different people.

Last edited by pinai; 07-17-2012 at 08:24 AM..

Old 07-17-2012, 06:44 PM

3,668 posts, read 3,528,920 times
very soon the population of Indians will overtake Native American population in USA. Indians are already 3.2 million. By next census, they will cross 5 million mark.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or