U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-16-2012, 09:34 AM

43,577 posts, read 52,749,647 times

Advertisements

Appa kabar?

Not overlooked by me...but I lived in Jakarta for 9 years. LOL!

Satay and nasi goreng for me, please!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-16-2012, 10:12 AM

24,683 posts, read 45,455,894 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NightBazaar View Post
I don't know much about Malaysia, but most of the people I know who have been there have a favorable view about it, especially toward the south. The exception is in the northern part of the country where squabbles seem to continue along the Malay-Thai border.

I'm more familiar with Thailand. How is Thailand different than Malaysia in terms of language barriers? In the cities and areas where more foreigners can be found, language isn't a major issue in Thailand. It's when you head out to the villages, rural areas and areas that are pretty much away from the cities, where language can become a problem for those who don't understand the Thai language. Is it generally the same in Malaysia?
I take it you've never been to Malaysia?

Before going to Thailand I got the impression the language barrier would be much better than Vietnam, where it was rare to find anyone who spoke passable English.

I was surprised at how Thailand wasn't much better. Even had trouble communicating with some of the hotel staff, shop-keepers, massage girls.etc. A bit better than Vietnam, but nothing compared to Malaysia. Until recently everyone was schooled in English in at least some subjects, but I don't think that's the case anymore. Indeed English literacy might be getting WORSE there.

Old 07-16-2012, 10:16 AM

985 posts, read 3,264,907 times
Arrow Indonesia

Quote:
Originally Posted by pinai View Post
Based from the music. It sounds like middle eastern to me
She's not singing in Indonesian at all!

I find Indonesia quite interesting for being a confluence of:

° Indic
Hindu-Buddhist elements are pretty strong even after the arrival of Islam.

° Islam
which brought Arab, Persian and South Asian Muslim influences.
"Allah" is the word for "the one God" for Christians and Muslims alike.

° Christian a.k.a. European
Large parts of the country are Christian. All sorts of Christian currents that is: Calvinist, Catholic, Evangelical, Pentecostal, etc.
Bataks in Northern Sumatra around Lake Toba are traditionally Lutheran.
These Christians use "Islamic" and Indic (Hindu-Buddhist) words.
E.g. God the Father in Heaven = Allah Bapa di Surga
Allah = God
Surga = Heaven (Indic)
°° Southern European influence through Portuguese
°° Northern European influence through the Dutch

° Chinese
"The Jews" of Indonesia: Small ethnic & semireligious minority who controls most of the economy.
That fact notwithstanding, Chinese influence has been quite strong in the archipelago.
Tidbit: the words for "me" and "you" in the spoken language of Jakarta, which is spreading all over the country, originate from Chinese (Hokkien).

° Austronesian a.k.a. Pacific Islander
The whole Indonesia except for most of Papua is Austronesian.
The affinity to Pacific Islanders and Madagascar is unmistakable.

° Melanesian
Black African features such as kinky hair, wide nose, big lips, and of course very dark skin are prominent all over the archipelago.
A pretty well-known doppelgänger of Obama's is Indonesian.

Old 07-16-2012, 10:31 AM

24,683 posts, read 45,455,894 times
'Allah' as a reference to God pre-dates Islam. It was used by Arabic Christians prior to Muhammad.

Old 07-16-2012, 11:43 AM

1,761 posts, read 6,972,681 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trimac20 View Post
'Allah' as a reference to God pre-dates Islam. It was used by Arabic Christians prior to Muhammad.
I think she's singing a religious song.

Old 07-16-2012, 12:47 PM

5,097 posts, read 8,078,177 times
Quote:
I take it you've never been to Malaysia?

Before going to Thailand I got the impression the language barrier would be much better than Vietnam, where it was rare to find anyone who spoke passable English.

I was surprised at how Thailand wasn't much better. Even had trouble communicating with some of the hotel staff, shop-keepers, massage girls.etc. A bit better than Vietnam, but nothing compared to Malaysia. Until recently everyone was schooled in English in at least some subjects, but I don't think that's the case anymore. Indeed English literacy might be getting WORSE there.
Thanks. Yes, that's correct, I've never been to Malaysia. So then English is better, or worse, in Malaysia throughout most of the country than it is in Thailand?

As for Thailand, most of the English speakers seem to tend to be where the foreigners are. That makes sense considering tourism, etc., is a major source of income for the nation, and Engish is still considered the international language for business, airlines, etc. A lot of young people still choose to go for Masters degrees, Fellowships, etc., in countries where English is the primary language. English is still taught in Thai schools as a second language, even out in the boonies, but kids seldom have time or opportunity to practice it when school is out, not to mention that most of the teachers are themselves Thai. There are plenty of areas around the the outskirts of the greater BKK area where English is seldom heard. Admittedly, the accent and pronunciation can be difficult to understand, if not humorous, at times, but I still come across plenty of Thais who do well enough to understand. Of course, for those who Thais who don't speak English, I have no major problem with that.

Old 07-16-2012, 05:51 PM

985 posts, read 3,264,907 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pinai View Post
I think she's singing a religious song.
Most probably she is. I'd guess in Arabic and most Indonesians don't understand a word, except maybe a few hardcore Islamists who learnt fus7a.

Old 07-16-2012, 09:41 PM

15,951 posts, read 36,206,900 times
Quote:
Good points. I don't know if the whole Islam thing would have factored pre 9-11.
Even previous to 9-11, I think most people just always associated muslim countries with being conservative. Granted, Malaysia and Indonesia are worlds away different from the Middle East with that, but there is still an association there. But even before 9/11, I was in Indonesia and Malaysia back in 2000 or so, and I was initially put off with all of the scarved women, etc. Oddly enough, I don't mind now, but maybe because I've traveled more, and not adhering to the first impressions anymore, and get a bit below the surface now.

Additionally, Malaysia has such high numbers of Chinese everywhere...many parts of Malaysia, you almost might as well be in China (with a nice Malaysian twist)...thinking of most of my favorite parts of Malaysia like Penang, Ipoh, Malacca, etc. I also like KL.

Last edited by Tiger Beer; 07-16-2012 at 09:52 PM..

Old 07-16-2012, 09:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by munna21977 View Post
there are less number of people of Malaysia and Indonesia in the United States. One reason may be that economy of these two countries is good and they do not go for mass immigration to western countries like some other asian countries like Phillipines, China, india, Vietnam do.
I think that Indonesians still go abroad in mass numbers...but mostly exclusively to Australia though...and to a lesser extent, the Netherlands. Well, that is to the western countries anyways.

Throughout Macau, Hong Kong, Singapore, The Middle East, etc....Indonesians are pretty commonplace somewhat like the Philippines. No ones works abroad anywhere near as high in numbers as the Filipinas, but the Indonesians would be probably be a distant second.

Last edited by Tiger Beer; 07-16-2012 at 09:53 PM..

Old 07-16-2012, 09:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NightBazaar View Post
I don't know much about Malaysia, but most of the people I know who have been there have a favorable view about it, especially toward the south. The exception is in the northern part of the country where squabbles seem to continue along the Malay-Thai border.

I'm more familiar with Thailand. How is Thailand different than Malaysia in terms of language barriers? In the cities and areas where more foreigners can be found, language isn't a major issue in Thailand. It's when you head out to the villages, rural areas and areas that are pretty much away from the cities, where language can become a problem for those who don't understand the Thai language. Is it generally the same in Malaysia?
True, about usage of English.

I was thinking more of studying and learning a language. Thai is brutal with the tonal system and the foreign script. It is impossibly to passively look out a window and start picking up language. Whereas in Malaysia, everything is written in Roman letters, and everything is phonetic accordingly. Even the English letters are written even more phonetically than we've ever considered in our own English speaking countries. 'f' instead of 'ph', etc.

So, you can passively look out the window, and start seeing the words for 'exit' all over the highway, and instantly start using it. That would never happen passively with tonal Thai in the Thai script.

Additionally, most Malaysian people are very familiar with English, so you can have a lot more access to a lot more different people. In Thailand, you pretty much have to stick to the Thai people who deal with foreigners all the time, as they'll be 'tainted' in that $$ kind of intented way, in my opinion.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or