U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-17-2012, 11:49 PM

1,761 posts, read 6,966,892 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teak View Post
Several of you are using the noun "Malaysian" as if the residents of this country act as one race. This is FAR from the truth. In fact, those Malaysian English videos are really Chinglish - English spoken by Malaysian Chinese and, thus, more similar to Singlish than the English spoken by Malays or Indians (Tamil).

When people are not fluent within English, they substitute some of their own grammar structures and words in order to complete their sentences. Thus, the use of 'lah' by Chinese Malaysian speakers of English reflects an aspect of the Chinese dialects with which they were brought up. I work with many Malay speakers of English and most never use 'lah'. This is just one example.

I wouldn't say that Malaysia and Indonesia are overlooked without using the qualifying "...by Americans." The Dutch had a colony in the Indonesian archipelago and the Brits in what was Malaya (including Singapore). Thus the Dutch and Brits certainly do not overlook Indonesia and Malaysia, respectively. Most of the white people that I run into in Malaysia are from the former crown colonies, including the UK and Australia. I have met very few Americans.
yes, it more on malaysian/singaporean of chinese descent cause some of my co-workers are Singaporean and we also have customers who are malaysian of chinese descent and everytime they talk to each other I thought they came from the same country lol if I don't know that one is malaysian and the other is singaporean.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-18-2012, 01:43 AM

15,945 posts, read 36,164,246 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Teak View Post
Most of the white people that I run into in Malaysia are from the former crown colonies, including the UK and Australia. I have met very few Americans.
Same here, but throughout most of Southeast Asia. I just seldom meet Americans there.

I meet a bit more up in Japan and South Korea. Usually teaching English. Either that or working for a company/corporation, and that would also include Singapore & Hong Kong.

But just randomly traveling around, I almost never meet Americans.

Old 07-18-2012, 03:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiger Beer View Post
Same here, but throughout most of Southeast Asia. I just seldom meet Americans there.

I meet a bit more up in Japan and South Korea. Usually teaching English. Either that or working for a company/corporation, and that would also include Singapore & Hong Kong.

But just randomly traveling around, I almost never meet Americans.
I think they usually go to beaches or Islands. there you'll see some Americans. Specially, summer time.

Old 07-18-2012, 08:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pinai View Post
I think they usually go to beaches or Islands. there you'll see some Americans. Specially, summer time.
Actually, I was thinking before, that I should clarify my statement, in that I often see Americans in the Philippines more than other Southeast Asian countries.

I've noticed quite a few either retired Americans in the Philippines, or I've noticed Americans that are or were in some capacity related to the U.S. military in the Philippines.

The other place I've seen Americans in Southeast Asia, has usually been Vietnam. Probably because of the Vietnam War in the American pysche, or of direct previous experience.

Outside of the Philippines and Vietnam...I seldom ever met Americans in places like Laos, Cambodia, Thailand, Malaysia, Myanmar, Indonesia, etc.

Old 07-18-2012, 10:02 AM

5,091 posts, read 8,068,874 times
Quote:
Outside of the Philippines and Vietnam...I seldom ever met Americans in places like Laos, Cambodia, Thailand, Malaysia, Myanmar, Indonesia, etc.
I also seldom see Americans in Thailand, apart from those I know. Even at the US Consulate, the times I've been there most of the people seem to be Thais trying to get a visa for the US. I do know there are are a number Americans living there who keep a low profile simply because they have family. There are quite a few in the NE, but elsewhere, including BKK, as well. Sometimes it can be enough just to deal with daily routines. Others are there on work visas. Overall though, it does seem like there are a lot more people from Europe there than those from North America, whether tourists or expats.

Old 07-18-2012, 01:28 PM

3,660 posts, read 3,521,230 times
Many Americans visiting South Asian Countries are involved in Church/Missionary activities and countries like vietnam, phillipines have more opportunities for them instead of malaysia, indonesia. Also many are involved with business, family etc. with the already strong vietnamese, filipino diaspora in USA. Immigrants from countries like India are found more in Malaysia, indonesia rather then Vietnam.

Old 07-18-2012, 03:38 PM

1,461 posts, read 2,942,939 times
I have many Indonesian and Malay friends.

I don't think they are overlooked. I love Indo/Malay food. And not just the ones fused with Chinese either.

Old 07-18-2012, 11:34 PM

Quote:
Actually, I was thinking before, that I should clarify my statement, in that I often see Americans in the Philippines more than other Southeast Asian countries.

I've noticed quite a few either retired Americans in the Philippines, or I've noticed Americans that are or were in some capacity related to the U.S. military in the Philippines.

The other place I've seen Americans in Southeast Asia, has usually been Vietnam. Probably because of the Vietnam War in the American pysche, or of direct previous experience.

Foreigners usually visit the tropical climate of Southeast Asia. Islands, usually our main attraction for tourist. Shopping are cheap also, you can buy signature products which is cheaper than those prices in the US or Europe because of money exchange rate.

Old 07-18-2012, 11:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pinai View Post
Foreigners usually visit the tropical climate of Southeast Asia. Islands, usually our main attraction for tourist. Shopping are cheap also, you can buy signature products which is cheaper than those prices in the US or Europe because of money exchange rate.
Yeah, but it's around 17 hours flight, so the majority of Americans stick with the carribbean or Mexico for tropical, etc. Plus the average American gets very little vacation time.

As an American who has spent ten plus years in Asia, and at least 20+ trips in southeast Asia, thats basically what I've concluded from the lack of Americans.

Old 07-19-2012, 12:02 AM

Quote:
Yeah, but it's around 17 hours flight, so the majority of Americans stick with the carribbean or Mexico for tropical, etc. Plus the average American gets very little vacation time.

As an American who has spent ten plus years in Asia, and at least 20+ trips in southeast Asia, thats basically what I've concluded from the lack of Americans.
Yeah, it take u a lot of hours to get there lol but I still see a lot of foreigners visiting the Island specially Boracay.

Islands where you mostly see them in Southeast Asia.
Like in Thailand I think the famous place there is Phuket.
Indonesia has nice Islands too..

Last edited by pinai; 07-19-2012 at 12:31 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or