U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-19-2012, 12:23 AM

89 posts, read 112,061 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trimac20 View Post
Malaysian cuisine in particular is overall the best in Asia IMO, largely because of it's diversity. It combines influences from China, India and Malaysia itself, but is distinctly Malaysian. I can't think of anywhere else in Asia - except perhaps Singapore (where the cuisine is very similar), and Macau with the Macanese cuisine, and to an extent Vietnam, but nowhere to the same degree. Kuala Lumpur is a vibrant, modern city with some of the best shopping in Asia.

Yeap! Take our Hainanese Pork Chops for instance! They are unique to Malaysia and Singapore. And don't get me started on our Mamak or Baba cuisines. History here
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-19-2012, 12:28 AM

15,945 posts, read 36,149,597 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pinai View Post
Yeah, it take u a lot of hours to get there lol but I still see a lot of foreigners visiting the Island specially Boracay.
I see tons and tons of foreigners throughout southeast asia as well, but they predominately Europeans and australians.

I've been to boracay about 6 times.

Old 07-19-2012, 12:44 AM

1,761 posts, read 6,965,031 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiger Beer View Post
I see tons and tons of foreigners throughout southeast asia as well, but they predominately Europeans and australians.

I've been to boracay about 6 times.
Travellers choice Beach destination in Asia
Best Beaches in Asia - Travelers' Choice Awards - TripAdvisor

Top 10
1 Boracay, Philippines
2-6 is all from Thailand
7 is from India
8-Thailand again
9- Indonesia
10- Thailand again

so mostly 8 beaches are all from Thailand. I don't know how they get the survey,
who are mostly the visitors. Australia is close to Southeast Asia so mostly yes there's a lot of
Australian tourist.

Old 07-19-2012, 01:09 AM

Quote:
Malaysian cuisine in particular is overall the best in Asia IMO, largely because of it's diversity. It combines influences from China, India and Malaysia itself, but is distinctly Malaysian. I can't think of anywhere else in Asia - except perhaps Singapore (where the cuisine is very similar), and Macau with the Macanese cuisine, and to an extent Vietnam, but nowhere to the same degree. Kuala Lumpur is a vibrant, modern city with some of the best shopping in Asia.
So they also add some spicy on it? I like seafood
haven't tried malaysian or indonesian food yet. I think Indonesian food taste good, I saw some clips of Indonesian food.
like fried rice with prawns and kangkung. their satay with peanut looks yummy.

Last edited by pinai; 07-19-2012 at 01:33 AM..

Old 07-19-2012, 07:06 AM

24,683 posts, read 45,361,353 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pinai View Post
So they also add some spicy on it? I like seafood
haven't tried malaysian or indonesian food yet. I think Indonesian food taste good, I saw some clips of Indonesian food.
like fried rice with prawns and kangkung. their satay with peanut looks yummy.
You have to try it, it's so good!

Old 07-19-2012, 10:46 AM

9,334 posts, read 19,458,887 times
Quote:
It seems many Americans are quite clueless about the nations of Malaysia and Indonesia. From what I've heard quality Malay/Indonesian food is almost unheard of in the States, while it's often considered one of the best places in the WORLD for food. It's better known in Australia, but even here most only go to Bali, ignoring Indonesia's thousands of other islands. Malaysia is well visited but I think Thailand is a bit ahead. I honestly think Malaysia is more enjoyable to visit, has more intact nature, the people are friendlier and most speak English. It just seems odd that it's stature is not bigger. Bangkok and Singapore are considerably more well known to Americans than Kuala Lumpur and Jakarta.
Americans are clueless about Malaysian and Indo as there are many of those restos here. Similar to Australians being clueless about real Mexican food or Puerto Rican or Cuban food.

We don't have a large Malaysian or Indoneisan community in this large country of ours. I can tell you my small town in northern New England has quite a few Indonesian refugees. I hear Indo spoken often and we have 2 Indonesian restaurant. The 2 asian markets have a sizeable Indonesian spice section. But thats not the norm.

Last edited by minibrings; 07-19-2012 at 11:38 AM..

Old 07-19-2012, 04:07 PM

Quote:
I hope I can find some Indonesian or Malaysian restaurant to try it. Here in Middle East they usually have Chinese, Indian and Thai food based from the menu's that I always get.

Old 07-19-2012, 10:51 PM

1,473 posts, read 2,368,271 times
Quote:
Good points. I don't know if the whole Islam thing would have factored pre 9-11. I mean there is a radical element but Malaysia and Indonesia are nothing like the Middle East. You'll see mosques, head-scarves, hear the call to prayer, and it can be conservative in some areas, but again, nothing like the Middle East. There's relative religious freedom, alcohol flows freely, it's pretty modern and open.etc.

Yeah Malaysia is the most multicultural country in Asia. Vietnam, Thailand, Cambodia, China, Japan, Korea are far more homogeneous. Yeah nothing like a good satay, you haven't lived until you've tried a good fire-grilled satay with peanut sauce.

I think Malaysia would easily be the most livable, along with Singapore, compared to Vietnam.etc which still feel pretty foreign. It's also a lot more Western, globalized, and they're more used to ex-pats. The language thing makes a BIG difference when living in a place. Despite it's tourism only a minority of Thais can speak at the level of English that most Malaysians can. Many Malaysians don't speak super-fluently but enough to get by.

I've never actually visited Indonesia, not even Bali. For years after the Bali bombings the government was discouraging Aussies from visiting. Not sure if it's calmed down since then, but most Aussies don't venture away from Bali, which seems a pity, but Indonesia hasn't invested as much in tourism. If it did I'm sure it would be the no. 1 destination in SE Asia.
These are interesting points. I've visited peninsular Malaysia, Java, and Bali. I think they are all fascinating destinations and agree that the food is delicious. But I did love Thailand (and the food there) as well. Malaysia is a lot easier to travel in than Indonesia in general (much better infrastructure and the widespread use of English). The Islamic factor does, I suppose, enter into it. But it's very complex. The Malays seemed more religious to me then the average Indonesian Muslim, but then they are under 60 percent of the population and the Islamic strictures that apply to them didn't apply to the Chinese and Indian populations (as far as I could tell). However, there is a rather ominous rise of fundamentalism there.

Indonesia is more Islamic as a percentage of the population but when I was there only about 30 to 35 percent was estimated to be orthodox with most of the remainder practicing a crossover version of the religion with Hindu and animistic elements. (And Bali is mostly Hindu.) But, as in Malaysia, Islamic fundamentalism is a presence. In fact there have been threats to bomb the historic Buddhist temple complex of Borobudur. But in general, neither country seemed interested (at least officially) in pushing Islam on non-believers or adherents of other religions.

As for alcohol - I managed to get a locally-brewed Guiness in Penang (Georgetown). The label was in English, Tamil, and Chinese (I saved it until it fell apart). But Malays are not allowed to drink so there was nothing in the Malay language on the label.

Last edited by xeric; 07-19-2012 at 11:00 PM..

Old 07-19-2012, 11:09 PM

1,473 posts, read 2,368,271 times
Quote:
I had nasi campur (rice with whatever is available) in Bali from a street stand in Ubud. I didn't recognize most of the food but it was all delicious!

Old 07-20-2012, 01:19 PM

5,090 posts, read 8,065,240 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiger Beer View Post
I was somewhat recently in both Hat Yai and Ko Lipe (right on the Malaysia/Thailand border). They seemed fine to me. Both have tourists, significantly moreso in Ko Lipe, and both were absolutely fine for getting around in English as a tourist.
Oh? While it's not an everyday occurance, the risks are still present. It's still a tinderbox. I wouldn't feel all that comfortable, but then that's just me. Ko Lipe doesn't seem to be a focal point. Problems are mostly in the mainland provinces in southern Thailand. Insurgents, wannabes and thugs that cross the border into southern Thailand don't exactly advertise when a problem is going to occur. I prefer sticking to the Central Plains and Northern regions.

Here are a few news articles from today.
UPDATE: 8 hurt by S. Kolok bomb | Bangkok Post: breakingnews

Bomb outside office building in southern Thailand injures 8 - PhotoBlog

Eight hurt by Thailand bombing - UPI.com

And a few other incidents from this year.
Bomb attacks kill 13, injure more 350 in South Thailand (PHOTOS, VIDEO) — RT

Bomb blasts kill 11 in southern Thailand | World news | guardian.co.uk

South Thailand car bombs kill 14, injure 340 - World - CBC News

Deadly bomb attacks cast light on forgotten Thai conflict - Chicago Tribune

Last edited by NightBazaar; 07-20-2012 at 01:28 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or