U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-10-2012, 11:02 AM

1,144 posts, read 1,580,178 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trimac20 View Post
Malaysian cuisine in particular is overall the best in Asia IMO, largely because of it's diversity. It combines influences from China, India and Malaysia itself, but is distinctly Malaysian. I can't think of anywhere else in Asia - except perhaps Singapore (where the cuisine is very similar), and Macau with the Macanese cuisine, and to an extent Vietnam, but nowhere to the same degree. Kuala Lumpur is a vibrant, modern city with some of the best shopping in Asia.
I beg to differ regarding Malaysian food - especially when referring to their meals. I went to KL in 2007 with my family and after awhile of trying the local food, we were so put off by it that we opted to look for fast food chains. My brother is a Dunkin Donuts fan so when he saw one in KLCC, he rushed in to buy a box of donuts. When we tried to eat it, it was also so bad that we tossed the box away after eating a few. But to be fair, they produce some excellent chocolate snacks that we love - such as those from Beryll's.

The second trip for me was to Malacca this past August and the food situation, while better than KL's in my experience was still a mixed bag. The KFC we ate in Malacca was just plain nasty and bland taste wise. Luckily, we were able to find some good food this time around; one was at Pizza Hut, and the other was our hotel's breakfast buffet - which served a mix of Western, Chinese, and local cuisine.

However, even then, I can't put Malaysian cuisine on the level of Indonesia (where I've gone to at least 5 times) and Thailand (where I've gone twice), places where I can pick a random food place and the odds that they serve delicious food is dramatically higher than in Malaysia - this is true whether it's a simple road-side eatery, a fancy restaurant, or a fast food place. The rest of my family agrees with me on that. Sorry if I offend people (Malaysian and non-Malaysian) with this but that's my personal experience with food in Malaysia, and why I can't agree with any assessment that calls Malaysian cuisine the best in Asia.... Peace.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-10-2012, 07:51 PM

15,945 posts, read 36,164,246 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrconfusion87 View Post
I beg to differ regarding Malaysian food - especially when referring to their meals. I went to KL in 2007 with my family and after awhile of trying the local food, we were so put off by it that we opted to look for fast food chains. My brother is a Dunkin Donuts fan so when he saw one in KLCC, he rushed in to buy a box of donuts. When we tried to eat it, it was also so bad that we tossed the box away after eating a few. But to be fair, they produce some excellent chocolate snacks that we love - such as those from Beryll's.

The second trip for me was to Malacca this past August and the food situation, while better than KL's in my experience was still a mixed bag. The KFC we ate in Malacca was just plain nasty and bland taste wise. Luckily, we were able to find some good food this time around; one was at Pizza Hut, and the other was our hotel's breakfast buffet - which served a mix of Western, Chinese, and local cuisine.

However, even then, I can't put Malaysian cuisine on the level of Indonesia (where I've gone to at least 5 times) and Thailand (where I've gone twice), places where I can pick a random food place and the odds that they serve delicious food is dramatically higher than in Malaysia - this is true whether it's a simple road-side eatery, a fancy restaurant, or a fast food place. The rest of my family agrees with me on that. Sorry if I offend people (Malaysian and non-Malaysian) with this but that's my personal experience with food in Malaysia, and why I can't agree with any assessment that calls Malaysian cuisine the best in Asia.... Peace.
I'm a fan of food in Malaysia, but not necessarily solely because of Malaysian cuisine. I like Malaysian cuisine as well, but the pure wide variety of food available in Malaysia is huge, compared to most other countries in Asia.

It's the fact they have all types of Indian and Chinese and Malay that are pretty much everywhere. Than on top of that, especially in KL, you have a large influence of different Middle Eastern foods everywhere. Than you just have international everything on top of that.

Old 10-10-2012, 09:00 PM

24,683 posts, read 45,384,878 times
Quote:

Maybe you were just going to the wrong places. Sometimes price does not always equate to quality in Malaysia. Unless you really don't like Asian food I don't see how you could be disappointed if you get the good stuff in Malaysia. The quality is good, it's still cheap. Some hawker stalls and kopi tiams can be pretty bad, yes, that's the thing there are so many food stalls it's hard to keep tabs of which are good and bad. Next time go to one of the restaurant review sites and they should be able to point you in the right direction.

The food in Thailand and Indonesia is generally excellent too.

Old 10-12-2012, 02:32 PM

6,066 posts, read 10,846,014 times
There is a difference for European/Canadian/American perception of this region compared to Australian perception of Indonesia and Malaysia.

Bali is not ignored/failed to be noticed for Australians, and seems quite popular.

However, for everything else, even for Australian perception, but a lot more for Europeans/Canadians/Americans etc, Malaysia and Indonesia do seem unknown, ignored, and not as explored compared to other regions of Southeast Asia.

That is mostly because a lot of Southeast Asia is Buddhist and that is viewed in a much better way than Muslim for Europeans/Canadians/Australians/Americans.

Malaysia and Indonesia has a lot of Muslim influence, and that may cause those places to be stigmatized and negatively stereotyped compared to other regions of Southeast Asia.

However, Muslim influence in Malaysia/Indonesia is expressed in a very separate and contrasting way from areas of the Middle East, so it is not nearly as bad as the Middle East. They are more progressive, and diverse.

Despite that, I still far prefer Thailand, Vietnam, and Singapore before Malaysia/Indonesia.

Although, Malaysia now comes before Cambodia/Laos for me.

I view Malaysia to be a lot better than Indonesia.

Old 10-12-2012, 06:12 PM

4,454 posts, read 5,744,030 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom9 View Post
The Dutch have a good idea of what Indonesia is all about but the rest of Europe really doesn't. Australians and New Zealanders seem to have the best grasp on these countries because they live close to them and deal with them on a much more regular basis than do Europeans.
That is true about the Dutch. In addition there are so many people that migrated to Holland from Indonesia when Indonesia declared Independence and not long after.

I studied a unit at university on Indonesia years ago. My tutor was from Germany but he could not find a course in Indonesian studies in his country but it was available in Holland so he studied it in Holland.

Old 10-12-2012, 07:18 PM

24,683 posts, read 45,384,878 times
Malaysia is well known to Australians, a lot less say than by Americans. Have you been to all these nations TPPATF? I think I still prefer Malaysia over Vietnam for the diverse culture and the fact a lot of it's nature is intact. That's the bad thing about Indochina the rainforest is only in small pockets.

Old 02-04-2013, 09:45 PM
kyh

383 posts, read 1,062,181 times
Quote:

I dare say that you probably went to those places where they harp on tourist bucks. These are low-quality foodie spots. The best places are where the local crowds go.

Here are some of the best food blogs in Malaysia that showcase one of the best cuisines in the world!

- vkeong.com
- Rasa Malaysia
- Motormouth From Ipoh – Malaysian Food & Travel
- KYspeaks.com

Last edited by kyh; 02-04-2013 at 10:04 PM..

Old 02-06-2013, 03:45 PM

607 posts, read 1,092,878 times
Being a Chinese Indonesian immigrant to the US myself... yes, I have realized that Malaysia and Indonesia are often overlooked, Indonesia moreso than Malaysia it seems. It is definitely partly due to the fact that there aren't too many Malaysians or Indonesians here in the US when compared to China, India, Korea, Japan, Vietnam, or other SE/E/S Asian countries.

Indonesia was definitely once a questionable place to live, but it's come a long way since even 1998. There's not nearly as much contempt to Chinese, Whites, etc. or to non-Muslims as there once was.

As for the current conversation that seems to be going on... I will say this - Malaysian cuisine is better tasting than Indonesiana cuisine. x)

Old 02-06-2013, 06:02 PM

1,413 posts, read 3,874,359 times
For the U.S. people think because Muslim is such a large religion in those areas that it must be strict. It is unfortunate those sterotypes are made. I really hope to visit both within the next 5-10 years. I have some comrades from both countries and they have sold me on visiting.

Old 02-06-2013, 08:48 PM
kyh

383 posts, read 1,062,181 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by David_J View Post
Being a Chinese Indonesian immigrant to the US myself... yes, I have realized that Malaysia and Indonesia are often overlooked, Indonesia moreso than Malaysia it seems. It is definitely partly due to the fact that there aren't too many Malaysians or Indonesians here in the US when compared to China, India, Korea, Japan, Vietnam, or other SE/E/S Asian countries.

Indonesia was definitely once a questionable place to live, but it's come a long way since even 1998. There's not nearly as much contempt to Chinese, Whites, etc. or to non-Muslims as there once was.

As for the current conversation that seems to be going on... I will say this - Malaysian cuisine is better tasting than Indonesiana cuisine. x)
I would say Malaysia is more the underdog since Indonesia has this ultimate gem (Bali!) which is known all over the world, while Malaysia's attractions could never be on the same tier of popularity as Bali.

While I agree that Indonesian cuisine can be delicious (esp Padang food! ah how I miss those) and varied, the distinctiveness of each ethnic cuisine is still fairly small compared to the stark differences between the Chinese, Indian, and Malay food in Malaysian cuisine, in which each component is a huge world of cuisine on their own, and yet they somehow manage to find a middle ground to harmonize in Malaysia.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or