U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-07-2013, 01:37 AM

1,027 posts, read 1,099,194 times

Advertisements

During my stay in Israel I have heard that they are fluent in two or three languages, which English is always on top ..if l'm not wrong ..they can understand even the Aramaic
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-07-2013, 08:33 AM

21,367 posts, read 24,109,773 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by miticoman View Post
During my stay in Israel I have heard that they are fluent in two or three languages, which English is always on top ..if l'm not wrong ..they can understand even the Aramaic
Hebrew is the top language and English is the secondary language. Arabic and not Aramaic may be spoken by some Sephardi and Mizrahi Jews, Spanish may be spoken by a limited few Ladino and Sephardi Jews, Russian may be spoken by Ashkenazis and Yiddish is spoken primarily by the Ultra Orthodox Jews . But all in all it is incorrect to speculate that "they" all are fluent in multiple languages. Some have problems speaking English even thou it was taught nearly every year while in school.

FWIW
Aramaic is as dead as Gaelic. It is not taught in the same manner as Latin is, nor does it have a similar use to Latin.

Old 03-07-2013, 09:21 AM

154 posts, read 170,413 times
The official language of Israel is Hebrew and Arabic. Most first generation immigrants speak English or the language of which they immigrated from, but learns Hebrew too.

Old 03-07-2013, 09:22 AM

154 posts, read 170,413 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pruzhany View Post
Aramaic is as dead as Gaelic. It is not taught in the same manner as Latin is, nor does it have a similar use to Latin.
Aramaic is not a dead language. It is spoken by Assyrians today with 500,000 speakers worldwide.

Old 03-07-2013, 10:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScandicA View Post
Aramaic is not a dead language. It is spoken by Assyrians today with 500,000 speakers worldwide.
And how many Assyrians live in Israel? None. Hence the topic of this thread. Jews and Arabs in general do not learn to speak/read Aramaic. Thus for them its a dead language for most of the population. Do assyrians speak all dialect of it? No. Its only uses amongst their group as is Gaelic used in Ireland or Scotland amongst their groups. Thus neather of these languages are commonly used. In one or two more generations Yiddish will be dead as basically its used by Ultra Orthodox Jews, but there is still a generation who is not UO who still speak it as a common language.

Old 03-07-2013, 04:50 PM

32,089 posts, read 32,986,776 times
Quote:
And how many Assyrians live in Israel? None. Hence the topic of this thread. Jews and Arabs in general do not learn to speak/read Aramaic. Thus for them its a dead language for most of the population. Do assyrians speak all dialect of it? No. Its only uses amongst their group as is Gaelic used in Ireland or Scotland amongst their groups. Thus neather of these languages are commonly used. In one or two more generations Yiddish will be dead as basically its used by Ultra Orthodox Jews, but there is still a generation who is not UO who still speak it as a common language.
Orthodox Jews can read Aramaic in religious texts but they can't speak or write it.

Old 03-08-2013, 04:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chava61 View Post
Orthodox Jews can read Aramaic in religious texts but they can't speak or write it.
Very few and those follow the Mizrahi lineage. FWIW using Orthodox in this context is too generalized. In the US and Israel it depended in which community you were brought up in if you got anything more than Hebrew and English. In my community in the US where English is primary, Hebrew was started at a young age so we would actually understand the Hebrew text we were reading. I learned Yiddish and Arabic from the community I lived in (post Shoah Europeans and displaced Syrians).

FWIW there is a community in Israel where Yiddish is the primary language and Hebrew is the secondary language.

Old 03-10-2013, 01:23 AM

32,089 posts, read 32,986,776 times
Quote:
Very few and those follow the Mizrahi lineage. FWIW using Orthodox in this context is too generalized. In the US and Israel it depended in which community you were brought up in if you got anything more than Hebrew and English. In my community in the US where English is primary, Hebrew was started at a young age so we would actually understand the Hebrew text we were reading. I learned Yiddish and Arabic from the community I lived in (post Shoah Europeans and displaced Syrians).

FWIW there is a community in Israel where Yiddish is the primary language and Hebrew is the secondary language.
In the Hassidic community in Israel, Yiddish is the native language as they believe that Hebrew is too holy to be used for daily purposes. They only speak Hebrew outside the religious usage when they are dealing with an Israeli who doesn't speak Yiddish. But I am sure in this same Ultra-Orthodox community they can read Aramaic when dealing with religious texts where it appears (for example Rashi commentary of the 5 books of Moshes).

What is FWIW?

Old 03-10-2013, 03:50 AM

38,690 posts, read 89,213,000 times
^^ FWIW = "for what it's worth"

Old 03-16-2013, 09:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chava61 View Post
But I am sure in this same Ultra-Orthodox community they can read Aramaic when dealing with religious texts where it appears (for example Rashi commentary of the 5 books of Moshes).
You're confusing Aramaic vocabulary with Aramaic writing. Rashi is written in Hebrew. His handwriting style of writing has to be learned in order to read it. In older texts there are words that have their root in Aramaic and currently not in use outside of texts, but they are written in hebrew. Numerous Aramaic words are written phonetically in hebrew, so sometimes you have to think about the word, sound it out and try to understand it in its context. Its not like Yiddish where German, Polish, Russian and few other languages took words and wrote them out using hebrew letters. Yiddish is is phonetic and thus WYSIWYG. Reading Yiddish means nothing to most Jews outside of the UO circles or Shoah survivors (and maybe their children).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or