U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-21-2012, 02:40 PM

15,891 posts, read 15,291,718 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by callmemaybe View Post
No, I am not religious. I meant are Indonesians and Malaysians like Saudis who believe in stoning to death gay people and those who commit adultery, and are just generally hardcore and fanatical? Or are they more like the Turks, ie more liberal and permissive Muslims?
Nobody is like the Saudis.
Read up on "Wahabis." Where you find them you will find trouble, i.e, the Taliban.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-04-2013, 12:45 PM

Location: Work in NYC - Live in Philly - Transplant from Miami
2,304 posts, read 2,194,995 times
I lived in Indonesia for certain amount of years due to my parents's job.
I will say that Indonesian moslems are either tolerant or too uneducated or somewhere in the middle.

The ones, who are tolerant, are usually those who are well-off, educated and well-traveled.
The ones, who are uneducated, are usually farmers and blue-collar sheep, which depending on where their leaders say would go either tolerant or aggressive.

As a kid, I had never heard stoning people etc. But I know they are pretty close-minded about homosexuality. One thing that I heard and saw alot as a kid is how they dislike christians and burn churches and synagogues. And dont forget when the moslems raped alot of wealthy chinese female in Jakarta while chanting "Allahu Akbar (God Almight sic.)!"
But again the country has opened up alot so I am not sure what the culture now. I hope it is more tolerant!

Old 02-04-2013, 03:19 PM

18,462 posts, read 9,561,235 times
I've worked in Saudi, Dubai, Kuwait, and Iraq as well as several Asian countries and have vacationed in several locations in Malaysia. Most of malaysia is very tolerant towards non-Muslims and they have about 40% of the population non-Muslim so they are alllowed to live their life iaw their own religious beliefs. I also think they (malays) try to appear more fundamentalist Muslim to the Saudis and other Arabs in order to get their banking business (Islamic Bamking) and tourists.

I'v neve been to Indonesia but I have a good friend married to and living in Indonesia...he says they are nothing like the Saudis (where he and I worked together) although there are regions of Indonesia that are more fundamentalist.

Old 02-04-2013, 09:10 PM
kyh

383 posts, read 1,061,681 times
The Malays are generally a religiously moderate lot but almost all are deeply religious. Fundamentalism is on the rise but that does not translate to security threats etc. There have been calls for the implementation of Shariah (Islamic) laws nationwide by the Islamist party but the ruling party ain't that interested in that. The most conservative states in Malaysia are the east-coast states of Kelantan and Terengganu, where Muslim Malays make up over 95% of the population. That said, most of them are traditional and are welcoming to visitors as the two states offer rural Malay charms as opposed to the more developed and liberal cities on the west coast. However, an overwhelming majority of Muslims are abhorrent to the consumption of alcohol, gambling, and non-halal food stuff. Do not ever attempt to do either of these in front of them as it is regarded as a deep disrespect to their religious sensitivities.

Old 05-12-2013, 02:28 PM

1,144 posts, read 1,579,207 times
As a Filipino who has been to both places more than once, I can confidently say Indonesia is more liberal than Malaysia. However, both are NOT Saudi-style Muslims in general (save for certain pockets)...

Old 05-14-2013, 12:02 AM

21 posts, read 53,117 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiger Beer View Post

You also mentioned drinking. Drinking is commonplace in both countries. For some reason, I remember a whole lot more drinking in Indonesia. It's just much more cheaper there, for one.
List of countries by alcohol consumption - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Malaysia and Indonesia are right near the bottom of the list. Most of the countries that have less alcohol consumption are Middle Eastern Muslim countries.

One of the things I liked about Kuala Lumpur was its minimal bar culture. I believe alcohol only causes problems in society.

Old 05-14-2013, 01:01 AM

24,683 posts, read 45,361,353 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by landgabriel View Post
List of countries by alcohol consumption - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Malaysia and Indonesia are right near the bottom of the list. Most of the countries that have less alcohol consumption are Middle Eastern Muslim countries.

One of the things I liked about Kuala Lumpur was its minimal bar culture. I believe alcohol only causes problems in society.
Non Muslims in Malaysia and many Muslims consume alcohol as elsewhere in Asia. KL definitely has a bar culture.

Old 05-14-2013, 11:06 AM

21 posts, read 53,117 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trimac20 View Post
Non Muslims in Malaysia and many Muslims consume alcohol as elsewhere in Asia. KL definitely has a bar culture.
Yes but less of a bar culture than BKK or Manila, I am sure.

Old 05-14-2013, 11:23 AM

10,422 posts, read 12,412,038 times
Quote:
Not less than Singapore i hope.

Old 05-14-2013, 08:34 PM

24,683 posts, read 45,361,353 times
Quote:
Yes, and I prefer that. Unless you want to get laid stay away from Bangkok's 'bar culture'. I guess there are some alright places, but it's a place that can empty your wallet very fast.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or