U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-19-2012, 12:44 PM

1,328 posts, read 2,650,216 times

Advertisements

Are these countries 'hardcore' stone adulterers and homosexuals Iran/Saudi Arabia kind of Islamic, or are they more liberal like Turkey and will do things like drink alcohol?

I hope my question isn't offensive but I'm curious about the nature of Islam in SE Asia vs the Middle East.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-19-2012, 01:14 PM

5,327 posts, read 11,051,487 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by callmemaybe View Post
Are these countries 'hardcore' stone adulterers and homosexuals Iran/Saudi Arabia kind of Islamic, or are they more liberal like Turkey and will do things like drink alcohol?

I hope my question isn't offensive but I'm curious about the nature of Islam in SE Asia vs the Middle East.
Uhmmm ...
Are you implying that the Islam teaches hardcore stone adultery ?
Are you implying that the Islam teaches to be a homosexual ?

If so, I wonder where you have been or who you go around with ?

Now when you talk about alcohol ...
That is a whole other story ...

I hope you are not Catholic, because the same questions could be asked about the Catholic religion, no ?
Or Protestants, or whatever religion YOU belong to !

Old 07-19-2012, 01:15 PM

1,328 posts, read 2,650,216 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by irman View Post
Uhmmm ...
Are you implying that the Islam teaches hardcore stone adultery ?
Are you implying that the Islam teaches to be a homosexual ?

If so, I wonder where you have been or who you go around with ?

Now when you talk about alcohol ...
That is a whole other story ...

I hope you are not Catholic, because the same questions could be asked about the Catholic religion, no ?
Or Protestants, or whatever religion YOU belong to !
No, I am not religious. I meant are Indonesians and Malaysians like Saudis who believe in stoning to death gay people and those who commit adultery, and are just generally hardcore and fanatical? Or are they more like the Turks, ie more liberal and permissive Muslims?

Old 07-19-2012, 04:36 PM

15,945 posts, read 36,169,523 times
Quote:
No, I am not religious. I meant are Indonesians and Malaysians like Saudis who believe in stoning to death gay people and those who commit adultery, and are just generally hardcore and fanatical? Or are they more like the Turks, ie more liberal and permissive Muslims?
However liberal Turkey might be, I'd say Malaysia and Indonesia are more liberal.

You'll find ladyboys, transvestites, homosexuals, etc.....probably moreso in Indonesia, for whatever reason. I don't know why. I'm sure they are in Malaysia too, but for whatever reason, I've seen quite a few more in Indonesia, especially Java.

You also mentioned drinking. Drinking is commonplace in both countries. For some reason, I remember a whole lot more drinking in Indonesia. It's just much more cheaper there, for one.

Malaysia, I believe it's around 33% non-malay. Mostly Chinese and Indian. Just the fact that so many exist in Malaysia who are non-Malay, gives a society with a wider spectrum of differences, as well.

In short, I've never heard of a stoning of anyone in either country for being gay or drinking or for adultry, etc. However, in Malaysia (and Singapore), there is a zero tolerance for drug smugglers.

Old 07-19-2012, 05:26 PM

1,761 posts, read 6,967,579 times
Actually, there are also some gays in middle eastern & don't follow rules of Islam like they're not supposed to eat during Ramadan timing or drinking alcohol because it's prohibited & against the religion but some disobey this rule. Just don't show it on public because you'll get in jail & pay some amount for both muslim & non-muslims in Middle East. I don't know if they also implement that rules in Indonesia and Malaysia during the Ramadan.

but majority are still religious though. I think Indonesia have more Muslims than in Malaysia?

Last edited by pinai; 07-19-2012 at 05:38 PM..

Old 07-19-2012, 07:10 PM

2,845 posts, read 3,937,355 times
Muslims in Malaysia are of the moderate sort which is typical in SE Asia although there are pockets of fundamentalism. They have a "live and let live and don't talk about it" attitude. I have seen Malays drinking beer and unmarried couples slipping off together for a bit of fun, but again they don't ask and don't tell for the most part. It is up to the religious authorities and the Syariah police to catch them in the act.

One of my favorite hobbies during the fasting month (which starts tomorrow) is to go to Chinese and Indian restaurants and watch the Malay men come in and cheat on their fasting obligation. Many of these restaurants have a back room where the Malay men disappear into, and then one sees trays off food being brought into that back room. The local newspaper likes to send a cameraman out every year during the first week of the fast to catch one or two of these cheaters and makes it a front page item. The huru-hara blows over, of course, and life gets back to normal.

Old 07-19-2012, 11:03 PM

1,477 posts, read 2,370,744 times
My impressions of Islam in these countries in 1991: Why do Malaysia and Indonesia appear to be overlooked in SE Asia?

Old 07-20-2012, 01:46 AM

24,683 posts, read 45,393,502 times
I'm familiar with Malaysia and no, it's nothing of the sort of Islamic Fundamentalism you'll find in the Middle East. Like fundamentalist Christians in the West there are fundamentalist Muslims, but they don't seem to form the majority of the population. For instance, most Malay women wear the hijab not the niqab or burqa common in Saudi Arabia. There has been a push by some clerics/politicians for Malaysia to become a theocracy, but I don't think that's what most of the people want. Malaysia is modernized and globalized and I think they want to remain fairly liberal, by Muslim standards. You won't see as many prostitutes as in Thailand (it's most definitely illegal) and there are blasphemy laws and stuff but overall it's not a place which feels oppressively religious.

Old 07-20-2012, 10:16 AM

5,327 posts, read 11,051,487 times
Quote:
who believe in stoning to death gay people and those who commit adultery,
Aha, I understand now !

Old 07-21-2012, 02:19 PM

1,487 posts, read 2,055,205 times
Alcohol may be prohibited in the Muslim world by law but "arak" is some potent stuff.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or