U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Merry Christmas!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 08-02-2012, 02:29 PM

10,800 posts, read 5,055,996 times

Advertisements

Our Filipina nanny was a fabulous dessert maker. She made us Bibingka on a regular basis because we all raved about it. Her other specialty was Flan. Better than I've ever had even in Mexico. Turon was another - bananas in lumpia, deep-fried ... with vanilla ice-cream. Purple potato cake was also delicious.
Quick reply to this message

Old 08-02-2012, 03:05 PM

33,745 posts, read 19,603,585 times
Thai black sticky rice with cream is my favorite.

Old 08-02-2012, 08:01 PM

484 posts, read 658,135 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dinfog908 View Post
I'd like to tell you some Chinese dessert. In the south, there are many kinds of desserts, like Egg Tarts, Cream Cakes, Biscuits and some Fruits.
覧覧覧覧覧覧覧覧覧覧覧覧覧覧覧覧覧覧覧覧

On my travel to Macau, I had the Lord Stow's egg tarts and they were so good, I'm craving for some right now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pinai View Post
^1st pic looks like Philippine Halo-Halo
usually there is variety of different fruits on it with crash ice,
milk and ice cream on top.

3rd one looks Sapin-Sapin
Quote:
Originally Posted by pinai View Post
We call this in the Philippines, Taho. One of my favorite when I was a kid.

It's with Sago and Vanilla
My expat days in Manila, I had the simpler version from Razon's Halo Halo in Makati. That was so good.
Lol, one of the ladies at the office made me try that Taho from the street vendor and it's pretty good, used it as an energy snack in the morning, ha ha. It's soy bean curd with syrup and tapioca balls.

Another favorite while in Makati was Sans Rival, a buttery cashew dessert.

Coconut shake another favorite

Man I'm craving for this one too, it's hot cocoa batirol
This is the best cocoa drink I ever had hands down.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vichel View Post
Our Filipina nanny was a fabulous dessert maker. She made us Bibingka on a regular basis because we all raved about it. Her other specialty was Flan. Better than I've ever had even in Mexico. Turon was another - bananas in lumpia, deep-fried ... with vanilla ice-cream. Purple potato cake was also delicious.
I think it's called Ube Cake if I'm not mistaken. My Russian friend served this and the ice cream version on her kid's bday party and the kid's loved it, loved the purple color lol.

Old 08-04-2012, 01:27 AM

1,867 posts, read 3,824,466 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vichel View Post
craving turon and bibingka glad you like some of Filipino food.

some other sweet delicacy from Philippines is suman (glutinous rice wrapped in banana or coconut/palm leaves just dip it in a caramel sauce or put sugar on it), patupat (it's also a glutinous rice but with a different mixture from suman wrapped in palm leaves & no need to dip in sugar because it taste sweet already but it's just sticky when you remove the palm leaves though )

Patupat

Suman (Usually Glutinous rice or Casava)

This is suman casava

This suman glutinous rice

Suman wrapped in Palm Leaves

hmmm yummy.. this thread makes me hungry

Old 08-04-2012, 04:34 PM

98 posts, read 122,488 times
I remember the Bibingka. Bibingka beats the regular generic pancake, IMHO. I loved it when I buy them from those street vendors served with banana leaves used as a plate and topped with shredded coconut and some melting cheese in the pancake. It taste a bit better if it's a little burnt on top.

I don't know if this is a dessert, maybe a snack, but Fish Balls comes in mind. Small balls skewered in a stick and dipped with a sauce. Delicious!

Old 08-04-2012, 07:42 PM

1,536 posts, read 1,603,315 times
Some desserts from India:

Gulab Jamun

Kheer

Halwa (in this case Pumpkin Halwa, but can be made of other flavors too like carrot, Almond, etc.

Burfi (flavors include coconut, almond, cashew, mango, etc.)

Old 08-05-2012, 07:08 PM
JL

6,383 posts, read 7,016,472 times

Old 05-05-2013, 07:24 PM

1,867 posts, read 3,824,466 times
Philippines

Mais con yelo

Banana Que

Old 05-05-2013, 07:34 PM

2,382 posts, read 2,592,704 times
[quote=Tappan Zee;25461463]On my travel to Macau, I had the Lord Stow's egg tarts and they were so good, I'm craving for some right now.

Egg Tarts in Macau is really called Pasteis de Belem. It is a Portuguese egg tart. It is very famous in Portugal usually eaten in the morning with an Espresso or during Merienda ( afternoon snack ) again with an Espresso. It is Portugal's national pastry.

Old 05-05-2013, 07:39 PM

2,382 posts, read 2,592,704 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dinfog908 View Post
I'd like to tell you some Chinese dessert. In the south, there are many kinds of desserts, like Egg Tarts, Cream Cakes, Biscuits and some Fruits.
————————————————————————————————————————
Natural latex mattress
Chinese Walnut Cookies

These Egg Tarts are originally Portuguese not Chinese. It is called Pasteis de Belem. It is Portugal's national pastry. Portuguese brought these tarts to Macau and now , it is very famous in China since Macau is just near. I think because it is so famous in China, people would already think it is a Chinese pastry.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $89,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia