U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: ...
Singapore 1 1.92%
Bangkok 15 28.85%
Manila 4 7.69%
Ho Chi Minh City 0 0%
Hong Kong 15 28.85%
Shanghai 1 1.92%
Seoul 3 5.77%
Osaka 0 0%
Tokyo 11 21.15%
Istanbul 2 3.85%
Voters: 52. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-14-2012, 10:11 AM

6,801 posts, read 11,788,872 times

Advertisements

As for being socially liberal, I can't think of any cities in East Asia that could even compare to any of the Western European cities.. except *maybe* Hong Kong.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-14-2012, 10:48 PM

14,798 posts, read 19,043,001 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trimac20 View Post
True but I see Istanbul as the most European city culturally (geographically it's part European). I guess I was comparing Bangkok to cities like Singapore and Seoul, which in some ways still aren't that progressive relating to homosexuals (particularly Singapore).
Actually that's very incorrect. Geographically, Istanbul is in both Europe and Asia. It is divided by the Bosphorous strait. The European and Asian sides are pretty close in area (sq km/sq mi). Different sections of town have different feels. For example, Sultanahmet/Fatih or Beyoglu might feel very European, but other parts in Asia might not feel as European at all. Beirut, Tel Aviv, etc are also very European feeling cities, but they aren't in Europe, they are in Asia. By that same admission, Almaty, Astana, Ashgabat, etc are all European because they have the whole Russian communist European thing going on, even though they're in Central Asia.

If you want to speak geographically again, the entire city covers 5343 sq km. If we say it's 50% in Europe, 50% in Asia, then Istanbul has something like 2672 sq km in Asia alone (although I think there's actually a little more than 50% in Asia area wise).

By contrast, areas of other cities:

Hong Kong: 1100 sq km:
Tokyo: 2187 sq km
Singapore: 710 sq km
Bangkok: 1569 sq km
Manila: 38.55 sq km
Ho Chi Minh City: 2095 sq km
Shanghai: 6340 sq km
Seoul: 605.28 sq km
Osaka: 222.1 sq km

That means Istanbul has more area in Asia than every single city in this poll except Shanghai. Or if you want to make this fun, Istanbul has more area in Asia than Osaka, Seoul, Manila, and Singapore combined, or around the same as if you added Hong Kong and Bangkok together. Even if you said only 25% was in Asia, it would still have more land in Asia than Osaka, Seoul, Manila, Singapore, and Hong Kong.

It doesn't matter if there's a large part of it in Europe, there's just as large part of it on the Asian side. 4.5-5 million to be exact, which is very close to the entire population of Singapore.

Last edited by marothisu; 08-14-2012 at 11:00 PM..

Old 08-15-2012, 12:03 AM

24,683 posts, read 45,447,074 times
^ Yes I said partly in Europe. I think that add's to Istanbul's fascination to me. It's one of the cities in the world I want to visit the most .

Old 08-15-2012, 07:25 AM

14,798 posts, read 19,043,001 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trimac20 View Post
^ Yes I said partly in Europe. I think that add's to Istanbul's fascination to me. It's one of the cities in the world I want to visit the most .
It's an amazing city. History at every corner, tons of new culture, good food, some beautiful people, etc. It is secular yet call to prayer still resonates throughout the city five times per day to add to its mysticism (but not many people seem to actually stop what they're doing and pray in many parts every single time). Just have to beware since it's a developing country, many people are enterprising and if you don't look Turkish, they will either try and sell you something at every turn, or scam you (i.e. the bill switch in the cab). I highly recommend visiting though. I want to relocate there for a little bit someday soon. The country feels extremely comfortable to me.

If you go, I highly recommend going down the coastline too. There's white sand beaches there and stuff, but there's Roman/Greek ruins all around. The city of Ephesus was pretty cool. The Basilica of St. John near it would be one of the largest churches in the world if it weren't in ruin too, and one of the ancient wonders of the world (what's left of it) is right next door.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or