U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: ...
Singapore 1 1.92%
Bangkok 15 28.85%
Manila 4 7.69%
Ho Chi Minh City 0 0%
Hong Kong 15 28.85%
Shanghai 1 1.92%
Seoul 3 5.77%
Osaka 0 0%
Tokyo 11 21.15%
Istanbul 2 3.85%
Voters: 52. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-20-2012, 01:52 AM

24,683 posts, read 45,344,192 times

Advertisements

I know in Asia standards of 'liberal' and 'conservative' differ slightly from the rest, but which city feels the most progressive, tolerant, where diversity is celebrated.etc? Where there is least sexism, racism, and the most freedom of religion?

Thinking it over I think Hong Kong might be it. Tokyo is pretty conformist/homogeneous. Bangkok may have a reputation but don't confuse sin with liberality, the majority of Thais aren't like that although it's true their attitude to sex is a bit more lax. Singapore is conservative in some ways but more liberal and worldly than Kuala Lumpur or Jakarta. Indian cities seem pretty conservative, so I didn't include any, not too sure how to class Chinese cities, and we all know about the Middle East. Manilla seems somewhat liberal too.

Can you edit the poll? I wanted to add Taipei, Taiwan to the list. It's actually the only E.Asian country where prostitution is legal so I should've added it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-20-2012, 02:49 AM

14 posts, read 39,057 times
I dont have a discrimination on prostitution, but i dont think this can be a factor used to measure if a country is liberal or not.

Old 07-20-2012, 09:44 AM

22,104 posts, read 23,627,108 times
Taipei is probably it.

Old 07-21-2012, 11:34 AM

218 posts, read 590,225 times
Bangkok & Pattaya
wherelse is hetero and homo prostitution proudly displayed. And Thailand seem to have the most vibrant and biggest LGBT scene in Asia. Ladyboys holla! ♥

Old 07-21-2012, 11:56 AM

1,527 posts, read 2,324,029 times
If you mean the most western feel...its manila

Old 07-21-2012, 05:42 PM

15,943 posts, read 36,139,074 times
We'd have to define what aspects of being liberal.

The thinking is just so different, nothing really fits into that kind of box.

Social safety nets? I think only Japan applies. Possibly Singapore.

Gays & Lesbians - they are everywhere and part of society throughout southeast asia, not so common in northeast asia.

Tolerance of drugs - almost nowhere, but you might get it offered to you in places like thailand, india, vietnam, cambodia. Most of Asia has a pretty much zero tolerance of it though.

Sex - don't know if that fall on the conservative/liberal spectrum. But that's all over Asia.

Can't think of other ways to define liberal/conservative to apply to Asia. Asia's pretty much pro-business though, and anti-guns. What else?

Old 07-21-2012, 06:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrunkSam View Post
Bangkok & Pattaya
wherelse is hetero and homo prostitution proudly displayed. And Thailand seem to have the most vibrant and biggest LGBT scene in Asia. Ladyboys holla! ♥
Hola, city of squalor!

Old 07-21-2012, 06:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiger Beer View Post
We'd have to define what aspects of being liberal.

The thinking is just so different, nothing really fits into that kind of box.

Social safety nets? I think only Japan applies. Possibly Singapore.

Gays & Lesbians - they are everywhere and part of society throughout southeast asia, not so common in northeast asia.

Tolerance of drugs - almost nowhere, but you might get it offered to you in places like thailand, india, vietnam, cambodia. Most of Asia has a pretty much zero tolerance of it though.

Sex - don't know if that fall on the conservative/liberal spectrum. But that's all over Asia.

Can't think of other ways to define liberal/conservative to apply to Asia. Asia's pretty much pro-business though, and anti-guns. What else?
Homosexuality is only really visible in Thailand. It's actually illegal in Singapore and Malaysia and hardly visible in Vietnam, Myanmar, Laos etc. of course there are gay people everywhere but I'm talking of visibility. Taiwan probably has the most tolerance of alternate sexualities, and its only east or southeast nation country to have legal brothels.

The so called safety net in Singapore is minimal at best. Overall Asia is pretty conservative, just about slightly different things than American conservatives. It's pretty pro business and pro family, but of course Christian fundamentalism is replaced by eastern religion.

Old 07-21-2012, 06:26 PM

15,943 posts, read 36,139,074 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trimac20 View Post
Homosexuality is only really visible in Thailand. It's actually illegal in Singapore and Malaysia and hardly visible in Vietnam, Myanmar, Laos etc. of course there are gay people everywhere but I'm talking of visibility. Taiwan probably has the most tolerance of alternate sexualities, and its only east or southeast nation country to have legal brothels.

The so called safety net in Singapore is minimal at best. Overall Asia is pretty conservative, just about slightly different things than American conservatives. It's pretty pro business and pro family, but of course Christian fundamentalism is replaced by eastern religion.
transvestites/homosexuality - Yeah, pretty much confined to Thailand, and the Philippines as well. I've seen that in Indonesia too, although not to the extent of Thailand especially or the Philippines.

It does exist up here in Korea/Japan, but it's not out in the open, and seen publicly. In Thailand and the Philippines, people will regularly see homosexuality or transvestites in the malls and bars and such. Much more tolerated than anywhere else in Asia.

Old 07-21-2012, 06:34 PM

1,527 posts, read 2,324,029 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiger Beer View Post
transvestites/homosexuality - Yeah, pretty much confined to Thailand, and the Philippines as well. I've seen that in Indonesia too, although not to the extent of Thailand especially or the Philippines.

It does exist up here in Korea/Japan, but it's not out in the open, and seen publicly. In Thailand and the Philippines, people will regularly see homosexuality or transvestites in the malls and bars and such. Much more tolerated than anywhere else in Asia.
Philippines is not exactly tolerant as you think...homos live as outliers in pinas
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or