U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
 
 
Old 07-23-2012, 09:43 AM
 
Location: Charlotte North Carolina
1,527 posts, read 2,324,029 times
Reputation: 129

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smtchll View Post
yeah in the Philippines they find this look attractive. Really pale skin and jet black hair. I'm not sure why. This commercial is 5 years old though, so hopefully things have changed


Pantene "Gathering" - YouTube
we must learn to seperate the caucasian worshiping filos and the idea of light skin as beautiful

in Southeast Asia light skin was considered a attractive trait long before the arrival of europeans

women from families of nobility where sometimes kept from going outside...or had an umbrella protect her from the sun..to keep a fair complexion...

 
Old 07-23-2012, 01:27 PM
 
213 posts, read 723,946 times
Reputation: 194
A fairer complexion is still considered a virtue in India. There are many reasons why this is so, like the film industry, that was pointed out earlier in the thread.

Then there are deeper ingrained beliefs that have been around for ages. Evil has always been depicted as black in Hindu scriptures. The rakshash (demons) in Hindu mythology would be always dark hued while the Gods would be described as having the complexion of a freshly bloomed lotus.

As kids, we would taunt other children, irrespective of his or her skin color as "kaali kaluti" (dark complexioned). This would be considered as a huge insult by us kids, thus further ingraining our mindset with the belief that dark complexioned is not something to be desired.

And with the advent of TV came the ubiquitous ads trumpeting the fact that using a certain fairness cream would make you fairer, which would net you a handsome husband (in the 80's) or a nice job as a model/air-hostess/movie star (in the 2000's). The fact that the company even launched a fairness cream for men is a testament of the fact that the market for such a product exists.
 
Old 07-23-2012, 05:02 PM
 
1,487 posts, read 2,053,890 times
Reputation: 936
Moderator cut: image removed

Anyone who thinks that the skin tone of this girl does not add to her already well defined beauty needs to see an optometrist.

Last edited by Yac; 01-10-2014 at 04:05 AM..
 
Old 07-23-2012, 05:13 PM
 
1,512 posts, read 7,265,334 times
Reputation: 1122
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom9 View Post

Anyone who thinks that the skin tone of this girl does not add to her already well defined beauty needs to see an optometrist.
I find tan skin way more attracitve than white/fair skin, and this is coming from a brown skin person.
 
Old 07-23-2012, 05:20 PM
 
1,487 posts, read 2,053,890 times
Reputation: 936
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rwarky View Post
I find tan skin way more attracitve than white/fair skin, and this is coming from a brown skin person.
Yes me too and I am not all that dark.
 
Old 07-23-2012, 05:38 PM
 
3,644 posts, read 8,996,337 times
Reputation: 1798
Quote:
Originally Posted by ejay1 View Post
we must learn to seperate the caucasian worshiping filos and the idea of light skin as beautiful

in Southeast Asia light skin was considered a attractive trait long before the arrival of europeans

women from families of nobility where sometimes kept from going outside...or had an umbrella protect her from the sun..to keep a fair complexion...
But the results come out the same, brown skin women who use skin whiteners because they hate their natural skin color. So it doesn't matter if some of this mentality came from colonization and some of it was already part of the culture. How do you separate the two nowadays? You cant
 
Old 07-23-2012, 07:05 PM
 
Location: Charlotte North Carolina
1,527 posts, read 2,324,029 times
Reputation: 129
Quote:
Originally Posted by Smtchll View Post
But the results come out the same, brown skin women who use skin whiteners because they hate their natural skin color. So it doesn't matter if some of this mentality came from colonization and some of it was already part of the culture. How do you separate the two nowadays? You cant
whatever came from our culture is part of us....it is our way of thinking.....though the caucasian worshiping crap was born from colonization...a foreign idea forced onto us

I believe a naturally light skin filipina is 100 times more attractive then a mestiza or white woman
 
Old 07-23-2012, 08:59 PM
 
491 posts, read 2,039,645 times
Reputation: 535
East Asian women aren't trying to look like Caucasian women. The pale ideal started out, just as in the West, to differentiate the classes - those who work outside in menial labor, and those who are indoors - the leisurely rich.

Now, however, while a tanned look is considered okay, Asian women don't like the result of the tans - sun spots, freckles, and later on, age spots. So it becomes a matter of trying to get rid of these spots, not bleaching yourself into a white person.

I am half Asian, with Asian friends, and this is the case with all of us. One friend is very pale and WILL not go out in the sun. She looks much younger than her age because of this lifelong sun protection, however, the downside of this is that now she has osteoporosis. Vitamin D deficiency and its results are rampant in Asia now due to the extreme aversion to the sun.

So now, in middle age, I wear sunscreen and hats daily but let the rest of my body get tanned so that I am sure to get my Vitamin D.

I Do use a spot-bleaching cream - they are no longer called bleachers but skin lighteners, such as Clinique, to fade some sun spots I have on one side of my face due to driving.

American see Asian women with their goofy hats and umbrellas and think the women are trying to look Caucasian, but that is absolutely not the case.
 
Old 07-23-2012, 09:14 PM
 
Location: The western periphery of Terra Australis
24,683 posts, read 45,344,192 times
Reputation: 11862
Quote:
Originally Posted by PureHapa View Post
East Asian women aren't trying to look like Caucasian women. The pale ideal started out, just as in the West, to differentiate the classes - those who work outside in menial labor, and those who are indoors - the leisurely rich.

Now, however, while a tanned look is considered okay, Asian women don't like the result of the tans - sun spots, freckles, and later on, age spots. So it becomes a matter of trying to get rid of these spots, not bleaching yourself into a white person.

I am half Asian, with Asian friends, and this is the case with all of us. One friend is very pale and WILL not go out in the sun. She looks much younger than her age because of this lifelong sun protection, however, the downside of this is that now she has osteoporosis. Vitamin D deficiency and its results are rampant in Asia now due to the extreme aversion to the sun.

So now, in middle age, I wear sunscreen and hats daily but let the rest of my body get tanned so that I am sure to get my Vitamin D.

I Do use a spot-bleaching cream - they are no longer called bleachers but skin lighteners, such as Clinique, to fade some sun spots I have on one side of my face due to driving.

American see Asian women with their goofy hats and umbrellas and think the women are trying to look Caucasian, but that is absolutely not the case.
The standard of beauty in Asia is still more 'Caucasoid.' Larger eyes, a sharper nose, a more 'sculpted face' are definitely favoured. How many times have you seen a Korean model with slit-like eyes? What about the plastic surgery?

Many Asian women take extra effort to avoid natural sun exposure though, too, keeping unnaturally pale like vampires.
 
Old 07-23-2012, 09:18 PM
 
Location: Charlotte North Carolina
1,527 posts, read 2,324,029 times
Reputation: 129
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trimac20 View Post
The standard of beauty in Asia is still more 'Caucasoid.' Larger eyes, a sharper nose, a more 'sculpted face' are definitely favoured. How many times have you seen a Korean model with slit-like eyes? What about the plastic surgery?

Many Asian women take extra effort to avoid natural sun exposure though, too, keeping unnaturally pale like vampires.
there are many east asians with natural larger eyes.....
of course arrogant westerners like to believe they are the standard of beauty in Asia..but in reality most asians like light skin...not pink skin...if we wanted pink skin we would be admiring pigs for their pink skin
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


 
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top