U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 07-23-2012, 09:26 PM

3,644 posts, read 8,997,592 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ejay1 View Post
there are many east asians with natural larger eyes.....
of course arrogant westerners like to believe they are the standard of beauty in Asia..but in reality most asians like light skin...not pink skin...if we wanted pink skin we would be admiring pigs for their pink skin
Then why are 30% of Korean women getting plastic surgery (overwhelmingly on the eyes)? They're making their eyes bigger because Caucasian features are the standard of beauty throughout the world, even in Asia. Yes, East Asians have always admired light skin, but now Caucasian features are considered attractive as well.

It's not just an Asian problem though, it's like that all over the world. Africans are known for using skin whiteners, and many African-Americans chemically straighten their hair or wear weaves.

Old 07-23-2012, 10:01 PM

24,683 posts, read 45,352,353 times
Quote:
there are many east asians with natural larger eyes.....
of course arrogant westerners like to believe they are the standard of beauty in Asia..but in reality most asians like light skin...not pink skin...if we wanted pink skin we would be admiring pigs for their pink skin
Yes but look at the before and after photos. Not all E.Asians are the same, Koreans rarely have very large eyes naturally. That's more S.Chinese, Vietnamese, Filipinos, and some Japanese.

Old 07-23-2012, 10:03 PM

1,527 posts, read 2,324,029 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Smtchll View Post
Then why are 30% of Korean women getting plastic surgery (overwhelmingly on the eyes)? They're making their eyes bigger because Caucasian features are the standard of beauty throughout the world, even in Asia. Yes, East Asians have always admired light skin, but now Caucasian features are considered attractive as well.

It's not just an Asian problem though, it's like that all over the world. Africans are known for using skin whiteners, and many African-Americans chemically straighten their hair or wear weaves.
you would think they would look caucasian if that was true...
none of the celebs there look remotely caucasian...PS is more for enhancing your natural beauty

besides i doubt people in asia wanna look like this

Hollywood celeb

Old 07-23-2012, 10:07 PM

3,644 posts, read 8,997,592 times
Quote:
you would think they would look caucasian if that was true...
none of the celebs there look remotely caucasian...PS is more for enhancing your natural beauty

besides i doubt people in asia wanna look like this

Hollywood celeb
of course they're not gonna look Caucasian, there's only so much you can do. A black girl with weave will not fool anyone into thinking that she's white, but it's just little things to become more Caucasian-like. Just like the eye surgery. And you said yourself in the other post that whites are put on a pedestal. They're on a pedestal for the standard of beauty as well. East Asia isn't exempt from that

Old 07-23-2012, 10:10 PM

Good points Smtchll. Some want to deny that the standard of beauty is more Euro-centric, but they know it's true deep down.

Old 07-23-2012, 10:13 PM

1,527 posts, read 2,324,029 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trimac20 View Post
Good points Smtchll. Some want to deny that the standard of beauty is more Euro-centric, but they know it's true deep down.
this girl was voted prettiest kdrama actress in an online poll

does she look caucasian to you...in your dreams
Moderator cut: image removed

but of course euros love to see themselves in the most attractive people of other races...quite hilarious

Last edited by Yac; 01-10-2014 at 04:08 AM..

Old 07-23-2012, 10:22 PM

Quote:
this girl was voted prettiest kdrama actress in an online poll

does she look caucasian to you...in your dreams

but of course euros love to see themselves in the most attractive people of other races...quite hilarious
Wow ONE example totally disproves my point? I could cite 10 who DO support my point.

FYI I'm Asian myself though not Korean.

Old 07-24-2012, 07:41 PM

2,845 posts, read 3,934,653 times
I will never understand the desire to whiten the skin. I have been to the weddings of many Malay women, both colleagues and former students, and they never look better than normal when they use skin whitener. In fact, the whitening makes them look sick, fake, plastic. I like the olive brown skin color that many have. It certainly looks better than pale white.

Old 07-24-2012, 08:03 PM

61 posts, read 95,586 times
Yeah.In those areas

having tan skin means that you work outdoor and have too much exposure to sunlight.That reflects that your social status is low and same as your income.

And people with whiter skin always give impression that they are white collar workers,who always stay in the office.

White skin is always more attractive than tan skin.

Guess they just have a different beauty standard.

Old 07-24-2012, 09:24 PM
JL

7,351 posts, read 11,877,440 times
To be terse:

darker skin---poor, laborer, lower class
pale/lighter skin--upper class, professional,etc.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or