U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Closed Thread Start New Thread
 
Old 07-25-2012, 08:32 AM
 
213 posts, read 724,383 times
Reputation: 194

Advertisements

Another interesting tid-bit from India.

One form of public humiliation is done by blackening the persons face, as in, a thief caught by a mob or a corrupt officer could be hauled by a mob, his face blackened and then paraded.

Also, trucks have this phrase painted on them, "Buri naazar vaaley, tera munh kaala" which essentially means, "may the face be blackened of the person who seeks to cast an evil eye".


 
Old 07-25-2012, 09:28 AM
 
985 posts, read 3,262,361 times
Reputation: 413
Default more than skin color

Quote:
Originally Posted by ejay1 View Post
there are many east asians with natural larger eyes.....
of course arrogant westerners like to believe they are the standard of beauty in Asia..but in reality most asians like light skin...not pink skin...if we wanted pink skin we would be admiring pigs for their pink skin
Quote:
Originally Posted by Neutre View Post
I think both you and ejay1 have a point.

The so called "white worship" that has been so prevalent in many parts of the world involves worshiping not white skin per se, but european/caucasian features in general.
A tanned person with european physical features is considered more worshipworthy than a person with african features with light skin.

Similar to the case of Blacks with light skin, many of the physical features of NorthEast Asians were not considered attractive in spite of their light skin which is often paler than Eurodescendants.

So I'd say European physical features, not the skin color per se, are still the ideal, which is not surprising considering the domination of Europeans and/or Eurodescendants for centuries, but it is shifting slightly; and through Obama, Beyoncé, and other prominent Black Americans, the appreciation for Black/Negro and Malay/Austronesian features is growing as well. Though at a slower pace.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Neutre View Post
physical features such as:
Small and large eyes and varying degrees of epicanthus ("Asian" eye fold);
Dark and light eye colours;
Dark and fair hair and varying degrees of reddish tones;
Curly, wavy, and straight hair;
Wide and narrow nose;
Flat and high nose;
Thick and thin lips;
Varying prominence of brow ridge. Flatter brow ridge makes a person look somehow more "Asian" no matter how large or small their eyes are;
Varying skin tones. Some are tanned and have a skin tone matching southeast Asians, whereas others are pale. In fact, my friend who is a native from northern Spain (Asturias) and I who am from Sulawesi at the equator, we have the same light brown skin tone;
etc.
Just yesterday we went to the beach: Me, Ruben, Jose (both from Asturias in northern Spain), Tran from Vietnam, Dariusz from Poland, Elishka from Czech, and Sven from Germany. Ruben, whom I said had the same skin tone as me, had turned to be waaaay darker than me and Tran who come from the topics. We were teasing and mentioned the "irony" that Ruben from northen Spain is much darker than me who comes from the equator..

Anyway, back to Asia and light skin. Ruben would still be considered more attractive than many Asians who have lighter skin than him because he has those caucasian features that many actors, models, or anyone in the media who are considered handsome possess. Even amongst a group of Whites he stands out for being more handsome than average.

My point is that what's considered attractive is much more than skin color.
Some of you guys mention "Australoid" a lot in the other thread. A person with Australoid, strongly Mongoloid, or Africoid (I just made up the term. Y'all know what I mean.) features and light skin would in many societies considered still less attractive than a person with caucasian features and dark skin.
 
Old 07-25-2012, 09:52 AM
 
Location: Charlotte North Carolina
1,527 posts, read 2,325,766 times
Reputation: 129
Quote:
Originally Posted by Neutre View Post
Just yesterday we went to the beach: Me, Ruben, Jose (both from Asturias in northern Spain), Tran from Vietnam, Dariusz from Poland, Elishka from Czech, and Sven from Germany. Ruben, whom I said had the same skin tone as me, had turned to be waaaay darker than me and Tran who come from the topics. We were teasing and mentioned the "irony" that Ruben from northen Spain is much darker than me who comes from the equator..

Anyway, back to Asia and light skin. Ruben would still be considered more attractive than many Asians who have lighter skin than him because he has those caucasian features that many actors, models, or anyone in the media who are considered handsome possess. Even amongst a group of Whites he stands out for being more handsome than average.

My point is that what's considered attractive is much more than skin color.
Some of you guys mention "Australoid" a lot in the other thread. A person with Australoid, strongly Mongoloid, or Africoid (I just made up the term. Y'all know what I mean.) features and light skin would in many societies considered still less attractive than a person with caucasian features and dark skin.
actually no...if your dark you already have negative points to you...like i said light skin was seen as attractive before europeans came....
 
Old 07-25-2012, 10:02 AM
 
985 posts, read 3,262,361 times
Reputation: 413
Quote:
Originally Posted by ejay1 View Post
actually no...if your dark you already have negative points to you...like i said light skin was seen as attractive before europeans came....
i'm getting the feeling that all you do is negate anything any other forumer says...in a way it's a smart strategy to keep the thread going...so go ahead and keep it up....
 
Old 07-25-2012, 09:59 PM
 
1,487 posts, read 2,054,774 times
Reputation: 936
Dark skinned people are not appreciated in the Mediterranean countries and light shin gets a pass in the light skinned areas like Scandinavia. It's just the way the world works. So if you're dark and looking for a light skinned girlfriend try Sweden and if you're light and looking for a dark skinned girl try Southern Italy.
 
Old 07-25-2012, 10:21 PM
 
9,334 posts, read 19,462,160 times
Reputation: 4442
Yes definitely a class thing. I spent 2 summers as a young kid with grams who lived in Forbes Park in Manila.. she'd sent one of the maids to get me if I was outside for too long or if she saw me playing with the gardeners kid. She told me he was "dirty" which puzzled me as an American raised kid -- only as an adult did I realize dirty = poor. She never left the house without a parasol over her head (ahem, she did not hold the parasol).

Ugh ugh. I've never been back.. no desire. It actually disturbed me how that clan lived in a bubble, shielded from the shanties that were a few miles away.
 
Old 07-25-2012, 10:34 PM
 
1,487 posts, read 2,054,774 times
Reputation: 936
Quote:
Originally Posted by minibrings View Post
Yes definitely a class thing. I spent 2 summers as a young kid with grams who lived in Forbes Park in Manila.. she'd sent one of the maids to get me if I was outside for too long or if she saw me playing with the gardeners kid. She told me he was "dirty" which puzzled me as an American raised kid -- only as an adult did I realize dirty = poor. She never left the house without a parasol over her head (ahem, she did not hold the parasol).

Ugh ugh. I've never been back.. no desire. It actually disturbed me how that clan lived in a bubble, shielded from the shanties that were a few miles away.
That happens here in the States as well.I know a lot of white folks who have never spoken to any black folks. Many of the world's people lead very sheltered lives.
 
Old 07-25-2012, 10:35 PM
 
Location: The western periphery of Terra Australis
24,683 posts, read 45,377,277 times
Reputation: 11862
Quote:
Originally Posted by minibrings View Post
Yes definitely a class thing. I spent 2 summers as a young kid with grams who lived in Forbes Park in Manila.. she'd sent one of the maids to get me if I was outside for too long or if she saw me playing with the gardeners kid. She told me he was "dirty" which puzzled me as an American raised kid -- only as an adult did I realize dirty = poor. She never left the house without a parasol over her head (ahem, she did not hold the parasol).

Ugh ugh. I've never been back.. no desire. It actually disturbed me how that clan lived in a bubble, shielded from the shanties that were a few miles away.
I can't abide such snobbism. As a child, going to visit friends in Malaysia who had maids, even that made me a bit uncomfortable.
 
Old 07-26-2012, 01:51 AM
 
985 posts, read 3,262,361 times
Reputation: 413
Default global phenomenon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom9 View Post
That happens here in the States as well.I know a lot of white folks who have never spoken to any black folks. Many of the world's people lead very sheltered lives.
True. Living in a bubble is something you encounter everywhere in this world, including in US.

Quote:
Originally Posted by minibrings View Post
She told me he was "dirty" which puzzled me as an American raised kid -- only as an adult did I realize dirty = poor.
American raised kids grow up with all sorts of prejudice against poor and Black people too. Much of the bias is unconscious though. So it doesn't mean one is a bad person for having it. But it's there.

 
Old 07-26-2012, 06:20 AM
 
1,487 posts, read 2,054,774 times
Reputation: 936
Quote:
Originally Posted by Neutre View Post
True. Living in a bubble is something you encounter everywhere in this world, including in US.
What it often does is to deprive the so-called "power group" from experiencing many important factors in their own culture.

Example: IN Los Angeles when I was growing up there was a law that not only prohibited white people from marrying marriage to black people. But only white people not Latinos, Amerindians, Asians. So white people were cut-off from an important part of our culture. The law was rescinded of course put the police still hassled you if you were a guy riding in a car with a black girl or vice-versa. The cops would often pull over a car with a Caucasian and an Asian of opposite sexes.That happened until about 1957, even though the law had been rescinded in , I think, 1952 or 1950. This was something instituted by LA police chief Parker who was infamous for his racial shenanigans. What happened to Parker in the end? They named the downtown LA law center after him. So much for freedom and that was 50 years ago. Everyone says that we are not losing our basic freedoms but that is not true. IN any country if the people don't watch and protect their freedoms they are always in jeopardy of losing them.

Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Closed Thread


Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top