U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Closed Thread Start New Thread
 
Old 07-26-2012, 09:51 AM
 
251 posts, read 547,429 times
Reputation: 107

Advertisements

The observed desire for pale skin is true in general, although I had a schoolmate from Korea (a girl as well) who was so tan I mistook her for being Malay! Imagine my surprise when she spoke Korean!

Thus, she claimed she was born in Singapore.

 
Old 08-07-2012, 06:36 PM
 
144 posts, read 168,899 times
Reputation: 98
Why is tan skin not considered attractive in Asia?

For the simple mystery of life that 'we always want what we don't have'. I live in US now and I always tell any white people here who care to listen how i find it odd that tan salons make money here while in my country, Philippines, bleach lotions make money.

For simple reason maybe that since majority of people are tanned we view the 'lucky' pale skin filipinos, we call them - mestizo /
mestiza, as exotic looking.

In fact most of our celebrities there are pale skin. Weird. very weird mentality.
 
Old 08-07-2012, 06:51 PM
 
Location: SoCal
1,523 posts, read 3,319,852 times
Reputation: 1140
The same reason why white & fair skin isn't considered attractive in Nrth Anerica..
 
Old 08-07-2012, 07:49 PM
 
Location: Grand Rapids, MI
846 posts, read 945,581 times
Reputation: 897
Quote:
Originally Posted by Smtchll View Post
Then why are 30% of Korean women getting plastic surgery (overwhelmingly on the eyes)? They're making their eyes bigger because Caucasian features are the standard of beauty throughout the world, even in Asia.
How is double eyelids a "Caucasian feature"? People of African descent, people of middle eastern descent and half of all Asian have double eyelids as well. Double eyelids give the illusion that the eyes are bigger but they're not necessary so.
 
Old 08-07-2012, 07:57 PM
 
Location: Grand Rapids, MI
846 posts, read 945,581 times
Reputation: 897
It's a class thing. Females with dark skin that they see in urban areas are mostly from poorer rural areas or from Southeast Asian countries there to work as domestic helpers. Then there's oversea Chinese such as myself who shocked people when they hear me speak flawless Cantonese without an accent when I go back to Hong Kong. Oddly enough, males with darker skin than mine don't get pegged as being from mainland or from Southeast Asia.
 
Old 08-07-2012, 08:26 PM
 
144 posts, read 168,899 times
Reputation: 98
Quote:
Originally Posted by Audioque View Post
It's a class thing. Females with dark skin that they see in urban areas are mostly from poorer rural areas or from Southeast Asian countries there to work as domestic helpers. Then there's oversea Chinese such as myself who shocked people when they hear me speak flawless Cantonese without an accent when I go back to Hong Kong. Oddly enough, males with darker skin than mine don't get pegged as being from mainland or from Southeast Asia.
No. It's not a class thing. For an Asian, you are ignorant Moderator cut: personal attackof your own race.

Quote:
Originally Posted by yowps3 View Post
The same reason why white & fair skin isn't considered attractive in Nrth Anerica..
I concur.

Last edited by Vichel; 08-10-2012 at 01:44 PM..
 
Old 08-07-2012, 08:44 PM
 
Location: Grand Rapids, MI
846 posts, read 945,581 times
Reputation: 897
Quote:
Originally Posted by heartbrox View Post
No. It's not a class thing. For an Asian, you are ignorant of your own race.
I only speak of what I've saw in my experience in Hong Kong, Taiwan and mainland China where many are actually quite pale already since birth and like to keep it that way.

Last edited by Vichel; 08-10-2012 at 02:04 PM..
 
Old 08-07-2012, 10:13 PM
 
Location: Moderate conservative for Obama.
833 posts, read 556,309 times
Reputation: 371
Some of you are literally whitewashed, have a hard time of accepting what you really are and will do anything to fit in. Just makes you easier to manipulate by masters of the past. Philippines being one of the prime example.

Weak minds with no souls to speak of, pathetic.
 
Old 08-07-2012, 10:21 PM
 
144 posts, read 168,899 times
Reputation: 98
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lone-Ranger View Post
Some of you are literally whitewashed, have a hard time of accepting what you really are and will do anything to fit in. Just makes you easier to manipulate by masters of the past. Philippines being one of the prime example.

Weak minds with no souls to speak of, pathetic.
Oh really? Then what do u call the tanorexics that populate where you live?! The capital of plastic surgery?! That IS pathetic!! Your statement is so ironic it's laughable.

Last edited by Vichel; 08-10-2012 at 02:05 PM.. Reason: Keeping the peace
 
Old 08-07-2012, 10:43 PM
 
3,644 posts, read 9,001,496 times
Reputation: 1798
Quote:
Originally Posted by heartbrox View Post
Oh really? Then what do u call the tanorexics that populate where you live?! The capital of plastic surgery?! That IS pathetic!! Your statement is so ironic it's laughable.
Well there's a difference. White people don't tan because they were colonized by brown people and want to be like them. They tan because they want to look like they were wealthy enough to go on vacation and tan all day. At least that's how it started.

With people of color, the desire for light skin came out of colonization and the desire to be more like the Europeans in power. Some of it also came from the fact that if you had light skin, it meant that you were not outside working all the time like poor people.

Last edited by Vichel; 08-10-2012 at 02:04 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Closed Thread


Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top