U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Closed Thread Start New Thread
 
Old 08-07-2012, 10:48 PM
 
144 posts, read 168,899 times
Reputation: 98

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smtchll View Post
Well there's a difference. White people don't tan because they were colonized by brown people and want to be like them. They tan because they want to look like they were wealthy enough to go on vacation and tan all day. At least that's how it started.

With people of color, the desire for light skin came out of colonization and the desire to be more like the Europeans in power. Some of it also came from the fact that if you had light skin, it meant that you were not outside working all the time like poor people.
LOL. Really? No those Filipinos who have light skin is coz they have Chinese blood or whatever half blood apart from Filipino they were born into. It's in their genes. They were born pale.

And who told you we wanna look like the Europeans so we bleach ourselves to death?

Wow, just wow.

Last edited by Vichel; 08-10-2012 at 02:05 PM.. Reason: Keeping the peace

 
Old 08-07-2012, 11:02 PM
 
3,644 posts, read 9,001,496 times
Reputation: 1798
Quote:
Originally Posted by heartbrox View Post
LOL. Really? No those Filipinos who have light skin is coz they have Chinese blood or whatever half blood apart from Filipino they were born into. It's in their genes. They were born pale.

And who is the idiot that told you we wanna look like the Europeans so we bleach ourselves to death?

Wow, just wow. The arrogance and stupidity of some people here is amazing.
Skin bleaching is very popular in the Philippines. It might not necessarily be because they want to look like Europeans. I'm sure they dont think about that, but it started from European colonization, or was at least heavily influenced from it. Colonial mentality is all over, not just with Filipinos
 
Old 08-07-2012, 11:06 PM
 
144 posts, read 168,899 times
Reputation: 98
Quote:
Originally Posted by Smtchll View Post
Skin bleaching is very popular in the Philippines. It might not necessarily be because they want to look like Europeans. I'm sure they dont think about that, but it started from European colonization, or was at least heavily influenced from it. Colonial mentality is all over, not just with Filipinos
I am Filipino so between you and me I think the reasons I say why bleaching is very popular in the Philippines is more valid than your presumptions. Which is highly annoying.

Last edited by Vichel; 08-10-2012 at 02:06 PM.. Reason: Keeping the peace
 
Old 08-07-2012, 11:09 PM
 
3,644 posts, read 9,001,496 times
Reputation: 1798
Quote:
Originally Posted by heartbrox View Post
I am Filipino so between you and me I think the reasons I say why bleaching is very popular in the Philippines is more valid than your presumptions. Which is borderline racist and stupid and arrogant, FYI. Which is highly annoying.
I'm Filipino too...
 
Old 08-07-2012, 11:10 PM
 
Location: Moderate conservative for Obama.
833 posts, read 556,309 times
Reputation: 371
Quote:
Originally Posted by heartbrox View Post
Oh really? Then what do u call the tanorexics that populate where you live?! The capital of plastic surgery?! That IS pathetic!! Your statement is so pucking ironic it's laughable.

I can say what i want to say because i AM a Filipino!!

I actually hate the idea that Filipinos think its hip to be anything else but be a brown Filipino. That it's cool to have spanish ancestory and boast about it when perhaps .01% of the population have any.
As for what whites do to their skins is their own business. You feel me?

Last edited by Vichel; 08-10-2012 at 02:06 PM.. Reason: Keeping the peace by removing harsh language
 
Old 08-07-2012, 11:11 PM
 
144 posts, read 168,899 times
Reputation: 98
Moderator cut: English only please, and it'd better not be nasty!. Then why do you say that like degrading your own race?

Last edited by Vichel; 08-10-2012 at 02:07 PM.. Reason: Keeping the peace
 
Old 08-07-2012, 11:17 PM
 
3,644 posts, read 9,001,496 times
Reputation: 1798
Quote:
Originally Posted by heartbrox View Post
. Then why do you say that like degrading your own race?
How am I degrading them when I'm against skin-whiteners? I would rather Filipinos keep their brown skin. So I'm degrading them?

African-Americans have a similar mentality. I'm not degrading them, I'm just pointing out the obvious that colonial mentality has influenced the standard of beauty. I thought this was common knowledge

Last edited by Vichel; 08-10-2012 at 02:07 PM..
 
Old 08-07-2012, 11:21 PM
 
Location: Moderate conservative for Obama.
833 posts, read 556,309 times
Reputation: 371
Quote:
Originally Posted by heartbrox View Post
. Then why do you say that like degrading your own race?

I am not purposely trying to degrade my own race, if anything, its the minions and the elites that have degraded it to a laughing stock of ASIA.

Time to look at one self in the mirror and take a good long hard look, if you look below the skin, you'll see that there are deep rooted problems within the veins.

The country and peoples mentality needs an overdue makeover. I stand for real Patriotism, not appeasment on a whim!!

Last edited by Vichel; 08-10-2012 at 02:07 PM..
 
Old 08-09-2012, 10:42 PM
 
Location: Brisbane
3,517 posts, read 5,458,888 times
Reputation: 2829
Ive being here for a while now, ive never really thought about it much previously, however I do find the pale skinned girls in the street generally more attractive than the tanned ones, and i am a white as you could get. Not that the tanned skinned locals are in anyway unattractive.

I would like to see the general public back in Australia put a bit more effort into looking good like the Koreans do, and that includes the Men as well.

Just my personal opinion.

Last edited by danielsa1775; 08-09-2012 at 11:09 PM..
 
Old 08-10-2012, 06:52 AM
 
985 posts, read 3,262,361 times
Reputation: 413
Quote:
Originally Posted by danielsa1775 View Post
I do find the pale skinned girls in the street generally more attractive than the tanned ones
Most of us are influenced by what is presented as being beautiful and desirable in the media, and Korea in this sense is not much different than most of Asia and Latin America where you see almost exclusively light skinned people for positive portrayals in the media.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Closed Thread


Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top