U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Closed Thread Start New Thread
 
Old 08-10-2012, 08:43 AM
 
Location: Filipinas
1,761 posts, read 6,966,418 times
Reputation: 402

Advertisements

Media/Ads is one of the most influential. They are only concern on money, how they will earn. Just one example ad from a beauty product is "Kutis Artista" that if you buy the product you'll get a skin of a TV personality. I don't blame the models as they are just working to earn money & the product owner's goal is to get money from the market & they are their target consumers. I guess we need advertisement that encourage the people to embrace their skin color more. I don't think this people wanted to look like European by getting lighter skin. If you say European or Caucasian looks then they have to change everything not just skin color. I guess light skin for them represent high class & beauty, being darker represent lower class & always get tease because of their skin color. These people need self esteem & they think buying these products is the solution that's how I see it not because they wanted to change their image because changing color doesn't change the formation of your face.

 
Old 08-10-2012, 11:39 AM
 
Location: 'Murica
1,302 posts, read 2,423,178 times
Reputation: 817
If anything, at least the colonial mentality hasn't carried over to Filipino Americans actually living in the U.S., at least from what I've seen. My grandma was obsessed with white skin, but no one I know, besides Michael Jackson, bleaches their skin, and I happen to think that I look better/healthier when I get some sun in me.
 
Old 08-10-2012, 01:21 PM
 
3,644 posts, read 9,001,496 times
Reputation: 1798
^ Because when Filipinos get to the US, they realize that both white and black people like brown skin color, so Filipinos embrace it
 
Old 08-10-2012, 01:41 PM
 
Location: Filipinas
1,761 posts, read 6,966,418 times
Reputation: 402
Quote:
Originally Posted by Smtchll View Post
^ Because when Filipinos get to the US, they realize that both white and black people like brown skin color, so Filipinos embrace it
yup. a lot of them don't know that some western envy tan/brown skin
 
Old 08-10-2012, 02:15 PM
 
Location: State of Transition
78,673 posts, read 70,531,500 times
Reputation: 76637
Darker skin on Asians indicates people who work outdoors for a living (farmers, was the typical image), and therefore are low class. If you had pale skin, it was proof that you weren't a common laborer, and could be of the upper classes. Darker skin in China also could indicate that one is of a minority population (also considered low-class), like a Mongol or a Tibetan.

In the West it also used to be de rigeur to maintain pale skin, and for the same reason. Then, sometime in the 20-s or 30's, the famous designer Coco Chanel took a trip to Italy in winter, and returned home beautifully tanned. Literally overnight, it became fashionable (in the US at least) to be tan, because tan skin became a symbol of leisure time and travel to sunny climes, and the money to be able to make it happen. So the symbolic imagery flipped, from pale skin indicating upper class status, to tan skin being a symbol of upper class status. Now tanning is so common among Euro-Americans, it's done purely for beauty reasons.
 
Old 08-11-2012, 07:48 AM
 
Location: Moderate conservative for Obama.
833 posts, read 556,309 times
Reputation: 371
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vinsanity View Post
If anything, at least the colonial mentality hasn't carried over to Filipino Americans actually living in the U.S., at least from what I've seen. My grandma was obsessed with white skin, but no one I know, besides Michael Jackson, bleaches their skin, and I happen to think that I look better/healthier when I get some sun in me.
What Fil Am suffer from are a little different from folks back home, over here, it's an Identity crisis, they know nothing of their enthnicity, of its traditions, culture. If anything, they are rather embarrased until they get to a certain age and figure out that no matter how hard they try, they really cant change who they are, from there, they either loathe it more or learn embrace it. A good example is how they would describe themselves. Some would indicate their pacific islander instead of asian.
I find Filipino behavior very peculior to say the least, they're very passive group of people in general making them easy for manipulation. I think 400yrs of colonial rule is a testament to that. They liked it too much.
 
Old 08-11-2012, 10:02 AM
 
Location: 'Murica
1,302 posts, read 2,423,178 times
Reputation: 817
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lone-Ranger View Post
What Fil Am suffer from are a little different from folks back home, over here, it's an Identity crisis, they know nothing of their enthnicity, of its traditions, culture. If anything, they are rather embarrased until they get to a certain age and figure out that no matter how hard they try, they really cant change who they are, from there, they either loathe it more or learn embrace it. A good example is how they would describe themselves. Some would indicate their pacific islander instead of asian.
I find Filipino behavior very peculior to say the least, they're very passive group of people in general making them easy for manipulation. I think 400yrs of colonial rule is a testament to that. They liked it too much.
I agree to a certain extent, but having an identity crisis is a big part of what entails life as a teenager and young adult in general, especially for minorities. Granted, this isn't as much of a problem with Blacks, Latinos, Middle-Easterners, and other Asians, but it's fairly common among those groups, too.

Our identity crisis seems almost similar to that common with biracial persons, in that we're unsure of how it's supposed to reflect off ourselves as individuals.
 
Old 08-11-2012, 12:45 PM
 
Location: Filipinas
1,761 posts, read 6,966,418 times
Reputation: 402
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lone-Ranger View Post
What Fil Am suffer from are a little different from folks back home, over here, it's an Identity crisis, they know nothing of their enthnicity, of its traditions, culture. If anything, they are rather embarrased until they get to a certain age and figure out that no matter how hard they try, they really cant change who they are, from there, they either loathe it more or learn embrace it. A good example is how they would describe themselves. Some would indicate their pacific islander instead of asian.
I find Filipino behavior very peculior to say the least, they're very passive group of people in general making them easy for manipulation. I think 400yrs of colonial rule is a testament to that. They liked it too much.
I guess they don't know that Pacific Islander & Asian is just a geographical term not a race or ethnicity.
People are also based it through culture similarities. The other problem also is that people are always stereotyping Asian as a race.
 
Old 08-14-2012, 04:39 AM
 
Location: Charlotte North Carolina
1,527 posts, read 2,325,766 times
Reputation: 129
Quote:
Originally Posted by pinai View Post
I guess they don't know that Pacific Islander & Asian is just a geographical term not a race or ethnicity.
People are also based it through culture similarities. The other problem also is that people are always stereotyping Asian as a race.
it is both geographical and racial

pacific islanders





Asians
 
Old 08-14-2012, 04:48 AM
 
Location: Charlotte North Carolina
1,527 posts, read 2,325,766 times
Reputation: 129
Quote:
Originally Posted by Audioque View Post
It's a class thing. Females with dark skin that they see in urban areas are mostly from poorer rural areas or from Southeast Asian countries there to work as domestic helpers. Then there's oversea Chinese such as myself who shocked people when they hear me speak flawless Cantonese without an accent when I go back to Hong Kong. Oddly enough, males with darker skin than mine don't get pegged as being from mainland or from Southeast Asia.
most maids in hong kong come from urban manila and southern luzon...they not only have dark skin but have australoid like features.....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Closed Thread


Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top