U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Would you rather live and work in TURKEY or MALAYSIA? If given a choice?
TURKEY 16 36.36%
MALAYSIA 28 63.64%
Voters: 44. You may not vote on this poll

Old 10-12-2012, 02:35 PM

6,056 posts, read 10,837,768 times

Advertisements

Without a doubt, I easily select Malaysia without hesitation.

I don’t see the intrigue and appeal with Turkey.

I know plenty of people that had such disappointing visits with Istanbul Turkey, and the photos they have of Istanbul proved that with rather mediocre/bland, and vacant photos of Istanbul and some other parts of Turkey.

I had some of the worst encounters with Turkish people, and a lot of Turkish people appear kind of alienating/tense/hostile/distant.

The Malaysian people I encountered are so much better and a lot easier to connect with/easygoing/relaxed/friendly.

Malaysia appears more impressive and looks better in photos for scenery. I also simply enjoy Malaysia’s exact geographic location more than Turkey.

The quality of life, cities/towns, urban amenities, food, and culture appears at a higher level, finer, and more preferable in Malaysia compared to Turkey.

Last edited by Thepastpresentandfuture; 10-12-2012 at 03:16 PM..
Quick reply to this message

Old 10-12-2012, 02:57 PM

1,953 posts, read 5,201,777 times
Malaysia seems like a lot better place, better food, better way of life, more interesting people & culture, plus I know many Malaysians, I have more in common with them than the Turks

Turkey doesnt seem likje a place I would want to live

Old 10-12-2012, 05:58 PM

4,454 posts, read 5,739,941 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thepastpresentandfuture View Post

I know plenty of people that had such disappointing visits with Istanbul Turkey, and the photos they have of Istanbul proved that with rather mediocre/bland, and vacant photos of Istanbul and some other parts of Turkey.

I had some of the worst encounters with Turkish people, and a lot of Turkish people appear kind of alienating/tense/hostile/distant.

The Malaysian people I encountered are so much better and a lot easier to connect with/easygoing/relaxed/friendly.

Malaysia appears more impressive and looks better in photos for scenery. I also simply enjoy Malaysia’s exact geographic location more than Turkey.

The quality of life, cities/towns, urban amenities, food, and culture appears at a higher level, finer, and more preferable in Malaysia compared to Turkey.
That is true and that was the best thing about the people in Malaysia. They were very friendly. However it is a bit easier for men to travel there than women, especially if they are travelling to the more conservative more predominant Muslim areas (EAst part of Malaysia). I been to Malaysia and not been to the east part yet with the tourists that have visited there they prefer the west part and I guess it is a lot more cosmopolitan and more liberal. Even I found Kuching in Borneo quite liberal for Malaysian standards and it looked like a majority of people were not even Muslim living there and even the surrounding areas. Not there was nothing wrong with the Muslims living there as they were quite friendly too.

Old 10-12-2012, 07:21 PM

24,683 posts, read 45,344,192 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thepastpresentandfuture View Post

Interesting, from what I've seen Istanbul looks absolutely fascinating. It's already one of my favourite cities in the world and I haven't even been there. Just so how much history. I really hope to go to Turkey. I've met some friendly Turks...Malaysians in general are friendly, yes, and less hassles/cons than in Thailand.

Old 10-12-2012, 10:06 PM

3,966 posts, read 9,410,221 times
Malay for the win.

Old 06-06-2017, 02:20 PM

2,462 posts, read 847,850 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AmberroseMI View Post
Turkey.
Turkish guys are hot
Nope I am not hot. Girls don't like me because I am not hot.

Old 06-07-2017, 10:18 AM

211 posts, read 121,357 times
I would go with Malaysia any day of the week. Turkey is too unstable and Muslim for my blood

Old 06-07-2017, 10:49 AM
AFP

6,898 posts, read 4,229,093 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trebaruna View Post
I would go with Malaysia any day of the week. Turkey is too unstable and Muslim for my blood
I don't find Malaysia interesting and find East Asian languages annoying to listen to on the other hand sadly as you pointed out Turkey is unstable and the religious extremism is unsettling. However I don't think Malaysia can compete with Turkish hospitality on the one to one level. According to my taste Turkey has some of the hottest women to look at.

Old 06-09-2017, 12:22 AM

1,984 posts, read 1,185,359 times
There is a duty free island in Malaysia....liquor prices are still 30% higher than State run stores in Virginia. Turkey would be better to live on the cheap, but lately, Malaysia is accommodating to expats with money. I live in Chiang Mai, but would probably choose Phnom Penh over KL, but sanitation is far better in Thailand. Constantly getting tougher for young people to get long stay visas, that would be a big plus for Cambo..easy visa.

Old 06-10-2017, 08:04 AM

6,309 posts, read 6,960,359 times
I have not been to Turkey and it is very intriguing. Istanbul and Antalya have long been on my list to visit. Have known a handful of Turkish folks who have continued to pique my interest.

But all of that said, Malaysia is a comfortable enough transition for me. I've spent over a year there on nearly a dozen visits in my life and I have some close family there. I noticed the OP asked about living AND working there which could make a difference. Work in Malaysia is generally low paying compared to the west. But in my case that wouldn't really matter so it's hard for me to imagine Turkey beating out Malaysia in this contest.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or