Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-26-2012, 09:16 AM

1,007 posts, read 2,015,101 times

Advertisements

If any of you have ever been to at least 2 or more of these cities, what would be your pick?

Tokyo / Osaka
Beijing
Seoul / Busan
Shanghai
Bangkok
Hanoi / Hochimin City
Singapore
Kuala Lumpur
Bali
Taipei
Other(s)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-26-2012, 09:43 AM

3,078 posts, read 11,064,608 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OZpharmer View Post
If any of you have ever been to at least 2 or more of these cities, what would be your pick?
Been to all but two of them:

Least Exotic to Most, IMO:

Bali <-- Don't know, but since it's an Austrialian vacation town, I doubt it's very exotic.
Singapore <--Don't know, but since it's a former British Colony, probably a lot like HK.

Tokyo / Osaka <--Very Japanese, but not all that exotic. Fun, clean, safe, expensive.

Shanghai <--Very cosmopolitan for the most part. Most of the interesting local stuff has been forcibly removed by developers with connections to The Party

Beijing <-- Similiar story to Shanghai. Exotic in a 1983 sort of way. Still has some old neighborhoods and holdouts. Certainly worth a visit.

Seoul / Busan <--Less English spoken here.

Taipei <--A great city in a great country. I've spent a lot of time here, so I can't really judge on how exotic it is.

Kuala Lumpur <--Malaysia, overall, is an interesting mix of peoples. KL reflects this.

Bangkok <--Crazy Awesome, and sometimes just crazy. How exotic you find it depends on where you go and what you do.

Hanoi / Hochimin City <--A small, sleepy town compared to the rest. Different, certainly.

(Others)

Delhi <--Madness. Utter Madness. Walk it.

Old 07-26-2012, 02:01 PM

3,078 posts, read 11,064,608 times
Whoops, I see I lumped in HCMC/Saigon with Hanoi. They are quite different. Hanoi is sleepy and somewhat obnoxious by my tastes. I guess that counts as exotic. HCMC is much more busy and less "exotic."

Delhi is another world. By the time we got there, we were pretty experienced and worldly travellers--we thought. Five minutes after walking out of the airport started wondering what planet we were on.

Jaipur, Agra, Mumbai, and Bangalore all are very India, but Delhi is the Indiest Indian in Indiatown. If you want a thrill, make Delhi your first stop on a visit to India. Or Asia, for that matter. It will blow your mind. If you can handle Delhi, you can pretty much handle anywhere.

Old 07-26-2012, 08:06 PM

16,259 posts, read 43,195,107 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OZpharmer View Post

Tokyo / Osaka
Beijing
Seoul / Busan
Shanghai
Bangkok
Hanoi / Hochimin City
Singapore
Kuala Lumpur
Bali
Taipei
Other(s)
I've been to all of them. They'll all seem exotic to a native English speaker who hasn't been to Asia before.

Vietnam probably seemed 'the most exotic' as the Vietnam War movies and such lingered in my mind the most of 'Asia' of my childhood. That being said, all of northeast Asia will feel exotic.

I'd say Singapore, Bali, and Kuala Lumpur might feel a little less exotic, as you'll hear and see so much more English there than the other places.

Old 07-26-2012, 10:05 PM

1,482 posts, read 2,384,651 times
It's been many years since I have been to these places but I think they can still be called exotic:

Chiengmai
Kathmandu
Angkor Wat the Temple City.

Two places I have never been but would like to go are in China
Wu Dang which is also a complex of temples but they are inhabitied
The old cities on the Silk Road in Eastern China's Taklamakan Desert.

Old 07-27-2012, 08:10 AM

5,059 posts, read 7,501,278 times
Being to all the listed except Bali and Taipei my pick would be Hanoi. However if you want a really exotic city i would try just about any city in far western china India or Iran

Old 07-28-2012, 06:56 AM

1,141 posts, read 1,208,549 times
I've been to most of those cities and I would say Bangkok is the most exotic, esp if you've never been to Asia. It is a real eye opener, and not always in a good way.

Old 07-28-2012, 10:18 AM

207 posts, read 707,507 times
Northern India, Tibet, Nepal, Bhutan, Tohoku Region (Japan), Eastern Islands of Indonesia, North Korea, Mongolia

Old 07-31-2012, 01:05 PM

43,662 posts, read 44,393,687 times
Of that list I have only been to Beijing and Shanghai. I would say that Beijing is more exotic of the two for sure. But I don't think of Shanghai as being very exotic in general as there is a large international community there.

Old 08-10-2012, 10:23 AM

6,046 posts, read 5,954,330 times
Any city in India by far....Nepali second....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia