U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-27-2012, 06:58 PM

2,772 posts, read 3,584,714 times

Advertisements

Do most people in China work 6 days per week? Does anyone know how many hours/day that it is typical to work in China? I have been dealing with a company in China-they seem to work so many days/hours and wondered if that was typical. It makes me feel like a slacker (and I'm a pretty hard-working person).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-27-2012, 07:43 PM

15,943 posts, read 36,139,074 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by yodel View Post
Do most people in China work 6 days per week? Does anyone know how many hours/day that it is typical to work in China? I have been dealing with a company in China-they seem to work so many days/hours and wondered if that was typical. It makes me feel like a slacker (and I'm a pretty hard-working person).
Not sure about China.

But, when I lived in South Korea, they often worked half or full-days on Saturdays. During the workweek, they usually had a rule that no one could leave until the boss went home, so people often worked 12 or 15 hour days quite easily. Not that they were actually working working that entire time, but they always had to be in the office.

I'd assume China is probably quite similar.

Yeah, there is definitely a reason most of the money in the world is shifting towards Asia...

Old 07-28-2012, 05:13 AM

2,772 posts, read 3,584,714 times
Thanks so much for the response. I'd assume it's similiar too. It would be hard for US workers to adjust to that schedule, although many companies seem to be sqeezing more and more hours out of their employees here too.

Old 07-28-2012, 05:37 AM

15,943 posts, read 36,139,074 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by yodel View Post
Thanks so much for the response. I'd assume it's similiar too. It would be hard for US workers to adjust to that schedule, although many companies seem to be sqeezing more and more hours out of their employees here too.
I don't think most of their time in the office is 'productive time' though. Speaking of South Korea, not China. It seemed to be a complaint that they had to look busy and work late as a regular course of action....but it was often said that for working 12-15 hours a day, usually 'productive time' was just a mere fraction of that.

Old 07-28-2012, 06:53 AM

652 posts, read 581,038 times
In China we work 5 days a week for office staff and sometime 6 for factory employees. Some companies do work Saturdays, but not many anymore. China in 2008 started strict labor laws and if you want employees to work more then 40 hrs per week, you need to pay them time and a half, and most employers don't want to pay extra.

Old 07-28-2012, 02:42 PM

32,055 posts, read 32,950,797 times
From my experience in China, offices are open 5 days a week but it is possible to get some things done on Saturdays & Sundays.

Old 07-28-2012, 07:42 PM

388 posts, read 746,244 times
the people I know in China and my wife ( when she was still there) work a 10 hour day with 2 to 4 days a month off plus all national holidays

Old 07-29-2012, 03:24 PM

2,935 posts, read 4,763,635 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dragonsong View Post
the people I know in China and my wife ( when she was still there) work a 10 hour day with 2 to 4 days a month off plus all national holidays
my experience as well.

Old 07-30-2012, 09:12 PM

5,008 posts, read 10,788,165 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiger Beer View Post
Not sure about China.

But, when I lived in South Korea, they often worked half or full-days on Saturdays. During the workweek, they usually had a rule that no one could leave until the boss went home, so people often worked 12 or 15 hour days quite easily. Not that they were actually working working that entire time, but they always had to be in the office.

I'd assume China is probably quite similar.

Yeah, there is definitely a reason most of the money in the world is shifting towards Asia...

Disagree with the assessment.

Asia is rising as a counterweight to economic development primarily because of green fields (aka undeveloped foundations in manufacturing and other industries) and poor foreign intellectual property protections.

And it's not a shift. Economic development isn't a zero sum game.

Old 07-31-2012, 01:13 AM

61 posts, read 95,586 times
You never can tell anything about this issue.

Some want to be rich they work overtime to get ahead for more money.

But most of the time they get no payment for overtime.

It's easy to find that some don't even need to work but live in luxury,others work around the clock but live a poor life.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or