Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-04-2012, 02:39 PM

37 posts, read 93,772 times

Advertisements

Why is it that Japan's economy has been so stagnant the past 15 years? Why no improvement?

I don't get it. They were one of the economic powerhouses of the 80s. What really is happening?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-04-2012, 03:15 PM

4,278 posts, read 5,177,391 times
The government has embraced higher taxes, more regulations that are killing their business community. I was living there before the sales tax went into place and remember how it was sold "just 3 percent, we won't raise it", well, now it is going to ten percent.

The government there is corrupt and loves high taxes and payoffs. That is how it is and will stay that way. They have moved
many factories out of Japan and have a generation that will never have a decent job or career. It is sad. I don't see any changes but it is a teachable lesson for people in the USA. High taxes, regulation destroy jobs, companies.

Old 08-04-2012, 04:15 PM

98 posts, read 276,385 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by totsuka View Post
The government has embraced higher taxes, more regulations that are killing their business community. I was living there before the sales tax went into place and remember how it was sold "just 3 percent, we won't raise it", well, now it is going to ten percent.

The government there is corrupt and loves high taxes and payoffs. That is how it is and will stay that way. They have moved
many factories out of Japan and have a generation that will never have a decent job or career. It is sad. I don't see any changes but it is a teachable lesson for people in the USA. High taxes, regulation destroy jobs, companies.
I agree that higher taxes and more regulation destroy jobs/companies. But the question here is how high is the tax and to what extent the regulation? Or if a tax cut is provided to a company, would that tax cut provide hiring local workers? To what extent would you regulate companies?

I've been posting this link all over this site . To me, tax cuts are ok if it creates good jobs to the local economy. I'd accept lower regulation if it doesn't hurt the local economy (or environment). If everyone is a Mother Teresa, I suppose extremely low taxes and minimal regulation would work. That said, I think corruption maybe the main cause of Japan's stagnation or even the US's 08' financial meltdown.

Old 08-06-2012, 06:54 PM

1,528 posts, read 4,232,095 times
SImple..

The Illumanti, New World Order etc have reign over Japan.. The Japanese government are nothing more than just a bunch of puppets.. Btw the Illumanti are behind this whole 'green' idea of global warming etc etc..

Their goals are simple to deacrease wealth, prosperity & population..

It's happeining in EUrope and it's starting to happen in USA..

We need to wake up and seriously change things!

Old 08-06-2012, 07:00 PM

1,412 posts, read 4,484,669 times
Japan is stagnant because the world has caught up. They are not the electronics king anymore. I still buy only Japanese electronics, but more people prefer cheaper just as good electronics.

The same goes for autos. For the last 20 yrs if you wanted a long lasting dependable car, you looked at Toyota and Honda. Now people are going for cars that are close in quality and dependability and a bit more cheap.

The natural disasters there have not helped, it really slows the economy down where there is a major earthquake and Tsunami. They will probably have a major volcano eruption in the next decade.

Last but not least, they have changed culturally. Their birth rate is low, and they are losing factories to lower wage countries.

Old 08-10-2012, 09:36 PM

1,139 posts, read 1,992,461 times
The Japanese story of the last two decades makes me sad....

Old 08-11-2012, 07:25 AM

1,007 posts, read 2,014,921 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrconfusion87 View Post
The Japanese story of the last two decades makes me sad....
On the other hand, get ready for China's boost

Old 08-11-2012, 11:22 PM

1,139 posts, read 1,992,461 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OZpharmer View Post
On the other hand, get ready for China's boost
I've been ready for it for years...

Old 08-12-2012, 06:15 PM

175 posts, read 273,809 times
overregulation IMO

Old 08-12-2012, 07:25 PM

1,725 posts, read 2,066,990 times
Japan is like a huge mafia family. That's not good for growth.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia