U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-30-2014, 04:51 PM

3,644 posts, read 8,996,337 times

Advertisements

a typical neighborhood in Manila. Not the worst area, but not the best either. If I were a tourist going there for the first time, my biggest shock would be at how calm and orderly it was

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SE_1MQ9ui7o

A lot of tourists don't like the Philippines because it's not different or exotic enough. They dont want to go to a place where everyone is speaking English and listening to American pop and hip-hop, even in remote areas.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-30-2014, 04:58 PM

9,781 posts, read 16,228,213 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Smtchll View Post
a typical neighborhood in Manila. Not the worst area, but not the best either. If I were a tourist going there for the first time, my biggest shock would be at how calm and orderly it was

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SE_1MQ9ui7o

A lot of tourists don't like the Philippines because it's not different or exotic enough. They dont want to go to a place where everyone is speaking English and listening to American pop and hip-hop, even in remote areas.
Would it be safe for a tourist to walk alone in that neighbourhood during the day time?

In a way that in itself is sort of interesting, a Catholic Asian country is kind of unique. I mean you have Catholic areas in other Asian countries, but it doesn't dominate the whole country.

Old 03-30-2014, 05:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Postman View Post
Would it be safe for a tourist to walk alone in that neighbourhood during the day time?

In a way that in itself is sort of interesting, a Catholic Asian country is kind of unique. I mean you have Catholic areas in other Asian countries, but it doesn't dominate the whole country.
The guy holding the video is Japanese, and he was fine. The only part that looked a little risky was 14:50, where he was surrounded by a bunch of kids. Usually, that'd be the best time to pick-pocket him, but it didn't happen. There were adults around telling them to stop messing with him

This is Tondo, which is supposedly the worst part of Manila, but there are worse areas like Navotas and Payatas. I'd say this is an average working-class neighborhood in Manila

Old 03-30-2014, 05:10 PM

The Phils are economically on a similar footing to Vietnam, yet Vietnam doesn't look as slummy as this.

Old 03-30-2014, 05:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smtchll View Post
The guy holding the video is Japanese, and he was fine. The only part that looked a little risky was 14:50, where he was surrounded by a bunch of kids. Usually, that'd be the best time to pick-pocket him, but it didn't happen. There were adults around telling them to stop messing with him

This is Tondo, which is supposedly the worst part of Manila, but there are worse areas like Navotas and Payatas. I'd say this is an average working-class neighborhood in Manila
Is it technically a slum?

Old 03-30-2014, 05:17 PM

Quote:
Is it technically a slum?
yeah it's a slum. It's the most densely populated place in the Philippines.

Old 03-30-2014, 05:35 PM

318 posts, read 487,262 times
Quote:
The Phils are economically on a similar footing to Vietnam, yet Vietnam doesn't look as slummy as this.
Maybe slum areas in Vietnam are mostly found in rural areas rather than the big cities.

Old 03-30-2014, 05:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alexander Rusev View Post
Maybe slum areas in Vietnam are mostly found in rural areas rather than the big cities.
Slums by definition are urban. Rural Vietnam didn't seem that much different to the big cities, I've been from Saigon to Hanoi overland.

Old 03-30-2014, 05:45 PM

1,099 posts, read 1,667,247 times
Quote:
Well most 'beginner' travellers tend not to be budget/adventurous travellers, so I don't know how price came into this discussion. Would you say then Europe is not good for 'beginner' travellers because of the expense? Usually developed/expensive places are easier to travel around. It's like comparing Germany to Bangladesh in ease of travel.
Actually, cost is a big factor for "beginner" travelers, especially if they're students or the younger people who just started their overseas experience. In fact, cost is the most important consideration. It surely is easier if cost is not a factor, but we can't all afford to stay at a hotel on the Champs-Elysees, you know. If I can spend US$250/day in Bangkok or Beijing in a 4-star hotel complete with arranged meals, transportation and tour guide, then what makes it easier in Singapore when US$250/day is just a 3-star hotel and I have to eat at the hawker stalls and take the MRT to go to where I want to go. Which one is easier?

Of course you should not be comparing Germany to Bangladesh! Comparing Singapore to Bangkok is more like comparing Hamburg to Budapest.

Old 03-30-2014, 05:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoldenTiger View Post
Actually, cost is a big factor for "beginner" travelers, especially if they're students or the younger people who just started their overseas experience. In fact, cost is the most important consideration. It surely is easier if cost is not a factor, but we can't all afford to stay at a hotel on the Champs-Elysees, you know. If I can spend US$250/day in Bangkok or Beijing in a 4-star hotel complete with arranged meals, transportation and tour guide, then what makes it easier in Singapore when US$250/day is just a 3-star hotel and I have to eat at the hawker stalls and take the MRT to go to where I want to go. Which one is easier?

Of course you should not be comparing Germany to Bangladesh! Comparing Singapore to Bangkok is more like comparing Hamburg to Budapest.
You obviously don't 'get' Singapore...you can stay at hostels for $15 a night in Little India. 'Have to eat' at hawker stalls? You act as if that's a bad thing. People COME to Singapore for it's hawker stalls, which have some of the best food you can find. If food is great it doesn't matter if you pay $2 for it at a hawker stall and sit on plastic chairs or eat at a ritzy restaurant and pay $100 a head.

The fact is those cheap destinations are also tougher in terms of pretty much every other factor, from language, transport.etc. I mean it's still not HARD, but for a beginner traveller it's not like Singapore or Europe.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or