Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-25-2014, 07:03 AM

42 posts, read 63,761 times

Advertisements

Yeah I think Singapore is the most excellent and conducive country in Asian. Everything is well prepared and most items from West are here as well. But a bit expensive.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-25-2014, 08:12 AM

1,846 posts, read 2,044,088 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Postman View Post
Pretty good list, but I would say malaysia is the easiest category, wealthier and more developed than thailand, widespread English and tourist infrastructure. South Korea would be more the second category. Tourist Cambodia like Angkor is no easier than much of Sri Lanka. Aside from English being a bit more prevalent in Lanka it's not always easy to get around on your own.
You guys realize that Pakistan's official language is actually English right?

Old 03-26-2014, 04:21 AM

1,141 posts, read 2,201,644 times
I actually think Hong Kong is easier to navigate with the octopus card acceptable payment almost everywhere and almost all places accessible by MTR. Some like Ocean Park have so many buses going there that it is still very easy to go to. In Singapore, it is a bit more difficult to go to Universal Studios, Singapore Zoo or Jurong Bird Park than most tourist attractions in HK despite English being more common.

Old 03-26-2014, 04:25 AM

9,556 posts, read 20,786,339 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoldenTiger View Post
I actually think Hong Kong is easier to navigate with the octopus card acceptable payment almost everywhere and almost all places accessible by MTR. Some like Ocean Park have so many buses going there that it is still very easy to go to. In Singapore, it is a bit more difficult to go to Universal Studios, Singapore Zoo or Jurong Bird Park than most tourist attractions in HK despite English being more common.
It couldn't get any easier to get to Sentosa or Jurong Bird Park now. The zoo requires taking a bus but it's still pretty easy.

Old 03-26-2014, 06:24 AM

81 posts, read 246,441 times
In Singapore everyone speaks English or a dialect of it.
Singapore is where most Asian cultures come together. You have the obvious Chinese influence, the people from India, Malay culture, the cleanliness from Japan and the uniquely strict law from Singapore herself.
It's also very Westernized, so Western people will have no problem fitting in.
And all flights take off from Singapore, so it's really easy to travel anywhere when your in Singapore.

People saying that Thailand is Asia for beginners is just stupid. That's where you get food poisoning, language difficulties, bad transport, people will rip you off etc. Of course it has it's beauty, the beaches, parties, culture, smiles but it's just not right to call it Asia for beginners. Neither is Laos, there's basically nothing there for foreigners.

Hong Kong, well it looks like Singapore, just bigger. All flights depart from there too but culturally it's just mainly Chinese. You don't really see much of the rest of Asia.

Old 03-26-2014, 07:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Postman View Post
It couldn't get any easier to get to Sentosa or Jurong Bird Park now. The zoo requires taking a bus but it's still pretty easy.
It is easier to get to HK Disneyland via the MTR than going to Sentosa where one needs to transfer to a bus or cable car, with that island resort fee. It is not that difficult but it certainly is not easier than taking the Mickey Mouse train to go to HK Disneyland.

Old 03-26-2014, 07:46 AM

I agree that Singapore is easier for Westerners to adapt but I do not agree that other destinations are designated for "intermediate" or "advanced" travelers only. Bangkok may be more difficult to navigate with much fewer English but having visited Singapore does almost nothing to prepare visitors for their travel to Thailand. In fact, I think the only similar country to Singapore is Malaysia. Although Singapore has Chinese and Indian influences, there is also almost nothing to be learned in Singapore for future travel to China or India.

Old 03-26-2014, 10:39 AM

3 posts, read 2,818 times
Singapour is boring, it is "just" modern city. If you realy wanna see Asia u need to go visit Tajland. I was in Bangkok - where mix culture and night life, then island Pucket - sooo beautyfull place nice for relax and sunbathing and of courese party. Pattaya is for single men . Good Luck!

Old 03-26-2014, 01:41 PM

81 posts, read 246,441 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tobiasz23 View Post
Singapour is boring, it is "just" modern city. If you realy wanna see Asia u need to go visit Tajland. I was in Bangkok - where mix culture and night life, then island Pucket - sooo beautyfull place nice for relax and sunbathing and of courese party. Pattaya is for single men . Good Luck!
I agree that Singapore can be boring after a week or two because it's a small city state/country
However Asia is not Thailand alone. What you get in Thailand is just the Thai culture and central you'll have the Chinese culture (mainly in the big cities).
Whereas Singapore has Asia's culture from all directions!

<-Different Asians (Singapore)
vs
<- Thais

BTW, Pattaya gives Asia a bad name

Thailand might me good for those that like to get drunk, party and have sex. Most likely obnoxious frats. They're not really into the Asian culture, they just want a good time with their friends.

Old 03-26-2014, 02:29 PM

1,906 posts, read 2,036,325 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tobiasz23 View Post
I can see how Singapore might seem boring to people who dont have any friends or family there. Get out and meet some Singaporeans, make some friends and its hard to say its boring.

Bangkok and Phuket are way too touristy to be considered "exciting". I prefer to avoid tourist trap towns on vacation.

Pattaya? Seriously? Sure thats fun if you like hookers and blow I guess. I prefer to not support sex slavery, I avoid drugs and I prefer to not to see my Dr after I get back from vacation because I got weird bumps/rash, or worse, on my penis. thank you very much. Pattaya is like Disneyland except Satan is the mayor. Loads of fun.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia