Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-30-2014, 05:58 PM

1,141 posts, read 2,201,644 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Postman View Post
The Phils are economically on a similar footing to Vietnam, yet Vietnam doesn't look as slummy as this.
If you visit both Manila and Saigon, it is evident that Manila has the higher Gini coefficient (higher income inequality), so the glitzy areas in Manila are close to those of developed countries while the slum areas are among the worst in the world. Saigon do not have slum areas that are that bad, but it also does not have as many skyscrapers or ostentatious displays of wealth.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-30-2014, 06:07 PM

9,556 posts, read 20,786,339 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoldenTiger View Post
If you visit both Manila and Saigon, it is evident that Manila has the higher Gini coefficient (higher income inequality), so the glitzy areas in Manila are close to those of developed countries while the slum areas are among the worst in the world. Saigon do not have slum areas that are that bad, but it also does not have as many skyscrapers or ostentatious displays of wealth.
That's true, although Vietnam is starting to develop quite a bit. It seems they're focusing more on Hanoi now as the 'showpiece city', with way more highrises planned for Hanoi vs Saigon.

Old 03-30-2014, 06:39 PM

1,141 posts, read 2,201,644 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Postman View Post
You obviously don't 'get' Singapore...you can stay at hostels for $15 a night in Little India. 'Have to eat' at hawker stalls? You act as if that's a bad thing. People COME to Singapore for it's hawker stalls, which have some of the best food you can find. If food is great it doesn't matter if you pay $2 for it at a hawker stall and sit on plastic chairs or eat at a ritzy restaurant and pay $100 a head.

The fact is those cheap destinations are also tougher in terms of pretty much every other factor, from language, transport.etc. I mean it's still not HARD, but for a beginner traveller it's not like Singapore or Europe.
I guess you don't "get" where some of the beginner travelers come from... Singapore is fine as a beginner travel destination for people from Australia, New Zealand and SE Asia, but for people from North America, it is hardly one that should be recommended as the first Asian destination. If one is from California, why spend about $1100 for the cheapest airfare to Singapore, when one can fly to parts of East Asia for $600? And what is there for people from California to see in Singapore? Skyscrapers? Zoo? Universal Studios? Why pay $500 more in airfare and live in a hostel?

I am not saying that hawker stalls are such a bad thing, but staying at a hostel in Little India is! All I'm saying is that I would just like to stay in at least a 3-star hotel, but that is so expensive in Singapore that for that the hotel price difference alone, I can easily take taxis and hire a personal tour guide in other Asian destinations that the language or transport price difference no longer matters!

Old 03-30-2014, 06:46 PM

1,869 posts, read 1,825,968 times
singapore is expensive.. Period.

Old 03-30-2014, 07:00 PM

9,556 posts, read 20,786,339 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoldenTiger View Post
I guess you don't "get" where some of the beginner travelers come from... Singapore is fine as a beginner travel destination for people from Australia, New Zealand and SE Asia, but for people from North America, it is hardly one that should be recommended as the first Asian destination. If one is from California, why spend about $1100 for the cheapest airfare to Singapore, when one can fly to parts of East Asia for $600? And what is there for people from California to see in Singapore? Skyscrapers? Zoo? Universal Studios? Why pay $500 more in airfare and live in a hostel?

I am not saying that hawker stalls are such a bad thing, but staying at a hostel in Little India is! All I'm saying is that I would just like to stay in at least a 3-star hotel, but that is so expensive in Singapore that for that the hotel price difference alone, I can easily take taxis and hire a personal tour guide in other Asian destinations that the language or transport price difference no longer matters!
Well tons of Aussies have been to Singapore, partly because it's such a hub and for a long time was the stopover on the 'Kangaroo route' to London. I think Singapore is an excellent hub to explore SEA because of all the flights that go from there, plus it's a great introduction to Asia because of the mix of cultures, the modernity, convenience.etc. Japan or HK just offer different experiences.

Hostels in S'pore are often quite good. Well there are pluses to Singapore...air-conditioned malls, English, no one hawking/hassling you...I'd say for a first time visitor to Asia it's good for about 5 days, not a holiday destination in itself but part of an itinerary.

Old 03-30-2014, 07:41 PM

27 posts, read 45,992 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TravelingAndSettling View Post
Brings back wonderful memories....
so from your experience you don't have any problems from prostitutes in Thailand?

Old 04-01-2014, 03:47 AM

6 posts, read 15,247 times
According to the Freedom in the World report by Freedom House, Singapore scored 4 in Political rights and Civil Liberties, which are low for developed countries. Compared Singapore with other Asian countries in the report, a lot of differences.

Old 07-16-2014, 02:50 PM

3,437 posts, read 3,284,294 times
a first time tourist from the Philippines will, most of the times, visit HK first due to proximity and cost.

its faster to go to HK than driving from Makati to Quezon City during rust hour in Metro Manila

Old 07-17-2014, 12:09 AM

8,864 posts, read 8,435,567 times
Japan is "Asia for Beginners".It's not really about how easy it is for foreigners to get around and infrastructure and stuff,but because it's the coolest place to visit in Asia.So if you wanna pay a visit to Asia,Japan is the best choice because you'd never know when the next opportunity is gonna be.

Singapore is pretty boring,and I wasn't impressed with HK either lol.

Old 07-17-2014, 01:47 AM

16,257 posts, read 43,168,834 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greysholic View Post
Japan is "Asia for Beginners".It's not really about how easy it is for foreigners to get around and infrastructure and stuff,but because it's the coolest place to visit in Asia.So if you wanna pay a visit to Asia,Japan is the best choice because you'd never know when the next opportunity is gonna be.

Singapore is pretty boring,and I wasn't impressed with HK either lol.
In Japan, you really need to know some Japanese, and be able to communicate in broken English or phrase books, if you don't know Japanese.

For beginners, you need it to be #1 ENGLISH-Friendly. There are so few train/bus maps in English in Japan...or even ATMs that take international credit cards or bank cards.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia