U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-12-2013, 11:44 PM

1,761 posts, read 7,030,381 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtur88 View Post
But on the other hand, I think it looks very affected for American or European travelers to wear local dress while traveling in the country. So, on the one hand you expect Indian women to wear shorts and tank tops in American malls, but it seems very fakey for American girls to wear a sari while hanging around the youth hostel in India.

Would western women go topless in African areas where that is the custom? Showingtheir arms or ankles is just as unacceptable to a woman from Pakistan.
you definitely have a point there... hehe it is part of their custom so we have to respect that and I guess we should also aware to certain part of other countries like for example middle eastern countries. Some are very traditional although a lot of them are also wearing jeans now or casual but as a foreigner I still respect their tradition.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-13-2013, 12:06 AM

84 posts, read 372,947 times
I am wondering does Filipino ever have the original costume before the influence of Spainish culture?

Old 05-13-2013, 12:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Great_Jack View Post
I am wondering does Filipino ever have the original costume before the influence of Spainish culture?
Are you talking about pre-spanish Philippines. Most of the Filipino that has Spanish influence are those Catholic Filipinos, because Spain taught the Filipinos the proper way of clothing & I don't want to say everyone because a lot of Filipinos also have their traditional clothes as you can see it to our Indigenous Filipinos. Ladies mostly are topless & guys are in bahag. if you go back to the history where Igorot and other tribal group do wear topless and pants. The Maria Clara clothing was the evolution of Baro't Saya.

Old 05-13-2013, 01:46 AM

2,384 posts, read 5,942,491 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Great_Jack View Post
They looked like Africans or Indians from Brazil because they wore very little clothes, only covering their private parts.

http://i39.tinypic.com/erh47q.jpg

http://i39.tinypic.com/2w6ytxl.jpg

[Mod edit: copyright violation]

Last edited by elnina; 04-08-2014 at 12:21 AM..

Old 05-13-2013, 01:48 AM

3,644 posts, read 9,119,517 times
^ No not all of them. Did you forget that we had Indian and Arab influence before the Spanish came? We werent all running around in loin cloths...

Old 05-13-2013, 01:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smtchll View Post
^ No not all of them. Did you forget that we had Indian and Arab influence before the Spanish came? We werent all running around in loin cloths...
So the Muslims wore clothes before the Spanish came ? Was Lapu lapu a muslim ? Just wondering because I think he was a Muslim but he wore little clothes.

Old 05-13-2013, 01:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hermosaa View Post
So the Muslims wore clothes before the Spanish came ? Was Lapu lapu a muslim ? Just wondering because I think he was a Muslim but he wore little clothes.
Lapu Lapu was a man, so he probably didnt wear a shirt, but the women described in the Spanish accounts did wear clothes.

Old 05-13-2013, 02:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smtchll View Post
Lapu Lapu was a man, so he probably didnt wear a shirt, but the women described in the Spanish accounts did wear clothes.
But Muslim men from Mindanao wore open shirt and trousers too, but Lapu Lapu was not. Just thinking maybe they wore after the arrival of the Spanish ?

http://i44.tinypic.com/149b494.jpg

Last edited by elnina; 04-08-2014 at 12:21 AM..

Old 05-13-2013, 02:26 AM

Filipino Martial Culture, The Ifugao & Bontoc Igorots head axe Hinalung - YouTube
^this video was taken by Americans. This is how the old Igorot usually wear
they are topless but actually they are already wearing top clothes Spain introduced to wear but I don't know why Americans want them to show the way they used to do before I guess to show the world that this is how they look, same as those people who used to live in Borneo (Indonesia, Malaysia and Brunei). I saw a video in Bali in 1940 and the ladies walk around without top clothing. But some are already wearing top clothing too, I guess it was just recently introduced.

Bali in 1940, before the Japanese occupation - YouTube
Bali, 1940 before Japanese Occupation.

Last edited by pinai; 05-13-2013 at 02:38 AM..

Old 05-13-2013, 02:35 AM

^ No all Filipinos were Igorots when the Spanish arrived. The people in the Southern islands were highly influenced by Hindu empires and they wore elaborate clothing
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or