U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-12-2012, 08:12 PM

24,683 posts, read 45,377,277 times

Advertisements

If so can you share your experiences? Especially things regarding safety, friendliness to foreigners.etc. It's a country I'd like to visit one day, the Muslim fundamentalism does sound a bit scary, but the Iranians I've met have been very hospital and they say overall it's actually fairly safe to visit, although maybe not if you're American.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-12-2012, 09:32 PM

177 posts, read 235,891 times
Since I'm from the US I would be terrified to step foot there.

Old 08-12-2012, 09:37 PM

4,554 posts, read 5,470,015 times
No experience there as we really have nothing in common with them.

Can't even guess why anyone would want to go there????

Old 08-12-2012, 09:49 PM

24,683 posts, read 45,377,277 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Heidi60 View Post
No experience there as we really have nothing in common with them.

Can't even guess why anyone would want to go there????
Persia is one of the oldest civilisations in the world. Being a fan of ancient history I would LOVE to go. Also the scenery seems quite beautiful, it's more than empty desert, there's mountains and even rainforest along the Caspian shore!

Old 08-12-2012, 09:58 PM

2,174 posts, read 4,396,728 times
I understand that, one on one, the average Iranian likes Americans and Western culture quite a bit despite what their politicians tell them. If you've seen any Iranian cinema of the last decade or so, you'll see that tension reflected. And it's backed up by articles like these:

The Iran We Don't See: A Tour of the Country Where People Love Americans - Christopher Thornton - The Atlantic

http://www.sltrib.com/sltrib/opinion...-iran.html.csp

Now, the government's a different story. It is a fascinating and ancient culture with a long tradition in arts and literature. Too bad, at this point, it's so difficult to explore.

Old 08-15-2012, 06:35 AM

1,144 posts, read 1,579,889 times
I'm not American or Westerner but I'd so LOVE to go to Iran in the future... Too bad that they got the government they got now cuz Iranian people deserve MUCH BETTER than what they're getting now...

Old 08-19-2012, 06:32 PM

424 posts, read 534,405 times
I would visit as well if I had the opportunity. The concerns about safety or anti-Americanism are largely the products of our own media, which, ironically, paints the Middle East in much the same way. I'd be more afraid of visiting Detroit or St. Louis than Tehran.

Old 08-19-2012, 07:18 PM

42,663 posts, read 74,251,141 times
Not since the 1970s, but then it was wonderful. Iranian cities and towns are very well kept, beautiful and green and tidy. The people are very pleasant, and not aggressive. They treat each other with respect and courtesy. I would not hesitate to go back there, nor even to live there.

International travelers (except Americans) are now free to go there and visit, and go wherever they like, and by all accounts, it is one of the favorite international destinations for travelers.

Old 08-20-2012, 06:39 AM

1,144 posts, read 1,579,889 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jtur88 View Post
International travelers (except Americans) are now free to go there and visit, and go wherever they like, and by all accounts, it is one of the favorite international destinations for travelers.
I heard the Iranians also do not accept Israeli passports... Just had to put it out there....

Old 08-20-2012, 07:07 AM

42,663 posts, read 74,251,141 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrconfusion87 View Post
I heard the Iranians also do not accept Israeli passports... Just had to put it out there....
There are a lot of countries that will not admit a traveler with an Israeli passport, if that is what you mean by "not accept". Some will not admit a traveler who has an Israeli stamp in his passport, or even an entry or exit stamp from another country at a location on the Israeli border. And some won't even accept a new passport issued in Jordan or Egypt, if they suspect that the reason a new passport was issued was to mask a prior visit to Israel. That is not surprising, since Israel regularly threatens to attack Iran. And Iran does not recognize the existence of Israel, so of course they also do not accept the legitimacy of a passport issued by Israel.

The folloiwng countries will NOT admit any traveler who has an Israeli stamp in their passport, regardless of nationality or passport being carried:

Syria
Lebanon
Libya
Kuwait
Iran
Iraq
Pakistan
Saudi Arabia
Sudan
Yemen

Of course, none of those countries will admit a traveler with an Israeli passport, nor will UAE, Algeria, Pakistan, Malaysia, and Bangladesh.

The airline flying you to those countries will inspect your passport, and won't even give you a boarding pass if you have Israeli documents. If you're on a land border, you'll simpoy be turned back, but probably not arrested. Bur a few countries actually arrest and/or fine travelers who arrive at a border post without acceptable documentation, considered to be prime facie evidence of attempt to enter illegally. I've forgotten what countries those are, but as I recall they are in Africa. Cote d'Ivoire might have been one of them.

Last edited by jtur88; 08-20-2012 at 07:32 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia