U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-13-2012, 11:58 PM

14,798 posts, read 19,010,012 times

Advertisements

Hello,

Of late I have been considering a move to Istanbul sometime within the next few years (I need to get better at Turkish first ). I am from the US and have only lived in the US, but feel very comfortable and at home in Istanbul, even moreso sometimes than in the US. When I tried to look up apartment websites for the city, I basically got sites advertising more or less "extended stay" type of places instead of apartments.

In Istanbul, or most of Turkey for that matter, do apartments exist such as in the US where you sign some sort of agreement (i.e. lease) and pay a monthly rent, or is it more along the lines of either buy property or rent property from someone who owns private property and agree to whatever terms with them? Apparently I don't know how to look for this!

Thanks for all your help!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-14-2012, 04:17 AM

1,977 posts, read 1,816,806 times
Usually month to month rent with no lease. That way it doesn't tie you down if you want to move soon.

Old 08-14-2012, 07:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Al G View Post
Usually month to month rent with no lease. That way it doesn't tie you down if you want to move soon.
Is there some sort of agreement just to show that you are renting it out in case anything happens, or is it all "you have my word" type of agreement? Are there any good sites with apartments there? I thought about going the buying route, but I saw some of the places in Istanbul can be VERY expensive to buy.

Old 08-27-2012, 07:20 AM

1 posts, read 1,555 times
You sign a contract with the landlord and you can put in the document if there are any extra clauses etc.
Usually apartments are rented as empty shells - that is, no fridges, ovens etc. unless specified otherwise.
Needless to say, having a friend who can speak Turkish who will assist you during this process is of utmost importance.

Don't be too tempted to buy at first, rent for the first year or so to have some recon.

How are you going to handle your visa status ?

Good luck!

Old 08-29-2012, 01:45 PM

3,458 posts, read 4,006,335 times
Finding a rental agency in Istanbul is very neighborhood focused. It is such a huge city that you find that most agencies concentrate on a hand-full of areas at most. Are there any neighborhoods you are focusing on specifically?

When I lived there, I lived temporarily in Sultanahmet then settled in Arnavutkoy. If you want a name to a rental agent in Arnavutkoy I will be glad to pass it along.

I agree with belgarathus having someone who can speak Turkish is of great importance. My move was work related, so I went along with a co-worker in Turkey who helped me communicate as my Turkish was non existent when I first moved.

All the best with your move. I can see why you fell in love with Istanbul, I typically dont get attached to cities I live in...but got bit by the Istanbul bug so to speak. Incredible experience, wish you the best.

Old 09-07-2012, 11:36 AM

It's a ways in the future I think, but we'll see. My current company has locations in many Turkish cities, including Istanbul. My move would be through them. I found jobs in Istanbul I can do, but the problem is they want fluency in Turkish. I know a little Turkish, enough to make basic conversation for a few minutes, but nowhere close to fluency in it.

Honestly, as you guys said, Istanbul is so huge. I really only saw a few neighborhoods. I met some friends in Sultanahmet, and I do love that neighborhood (and Fatih) even if it's a bit touristy in some areas. I also loved Beyoglu, and Besiktas(Ortakoy), but I need to explore other parts of the city as I go back.

I know from my friends how hard things can be, but they moved there on their own. If I moved via the company, it wouldn't be a problem. I do have one concern, but it's away from all of this. I know Turkey is very open, but I have a last name that's associated with some things even though I have nothing to do with them, it's still a gray area to me. The good thing is that I pretty much pass for a local in Istanbul everywhere. People even told them I was lying when I said I was from the US.

Old 11-04-2012, 01:30 PM

21 posts, read 30,928 times
hi marothisu..
istanbul is mix of west and east. love and hate.
you can find the most expensive and the cheapest..
there are many expats here.

if you have questions i may reply, im a native Turkish.
belgarathus is totally right on the rent issue.. Yes, you sign a contract for housing. they get 2 months rent as deposit.

traffic sux here and city planning is nightmare.
what makes this city pretty is - its damaged but still pretty- landscape, and its history dating back 5000 B.C.
like most anatolian cities.

Old 11-04-2012, 06:13 PM

1,317 posts, read 1,283,665 times
Istanbul is over populated, but is overall a nice and historic city. Unfortunately it's still majority Muslim so you need to be careful with your lifestyle, etc. It's sad that very old churches have been destroyed, or converted into mosques.

Old 11-04-2012, 07:24 PM

22,141 posts, read 23,648,900 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nunnor View Post
Istanbul is over populated, but is overall a nice and historic city. Unfortunately it's still majority Muslim so you need to be careful with your lifestyle, etc. It's sad that very old churches have been destroyed, or converted into mosques.
Are we talking about the same Istanbul? It's such a progressive city I don't understand why you need to forewarn people about whatever it is you're warning people about. It's a hell of a lot more progressive than maybe some of the most arch-conservative parts of the US.

Old 11-05-2012, 01:51 AM

21 posts, read 30,928 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nunnor View Post
im Atheist im sure there are more places in US thats way more conservative than Turkey..
Can you buy alcohol in Kentucky? i guess not in %70 percent of the state. in Turkey there s no such restriction..

in istanbul its far more easy than a inner anatolia city , and what you say is not true..
there are many churches preserved and people visit there.. even moslims visit.

istiklal street is most crowded heart of istanbul and people will give you bible for free and you can find many clubs and bars then anywhere in Europe that are open till 4 am.
this city lives 24 hours.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or